Filter size, DE to Sand

Jul 22, 2008
Arlington, Texas
I'm converting my DE filter to sand and thinking about a Hayward Pro-series side mount and was getting conflicting sizes, so I wanted to get your opinions as to the right size. My pool size is about 21k gallons with a 1.5 hp pump, 2" plumbing in and 1 1/2" out. I currently have a 48 sqft DE filter. My first size suggestion came from Leslie's which said I needed at least a S310S, but after reviewing Hayward's pump and filter sizing worksheet (I estimated about 63 total dynamic head and desired flow of about 50 GPM, assuming my values are correct), it seems that S244S or even possible a S210S would work. Given my limited pad size and the considerable increase in $$$ between the S310S and others, I don't want to get more that is needed. My question is which would be best for me (I hope I have given enough info, if not let me know)?
Effective Turnover
Model # Sand (lbs) Filtration Area Design Flow 8 hour 10 hour
S210S 200 2.20 ft2 44 GPM 21120 26400
S244S 300 3.14 62 29760 37200
S310S 500 4.91 98 47040 58800

Match your filter to your pump gpm. You can calc your pump gpm from the manufacturers pump curve (use 50tdh) and then get a filter rated about 20% or more in excess of the gpm's the pump is producing. Shoot back a post if that doesn't make sense.

There are a few reasons I want to switch. First is the hassle of cleaning the DE filter which means pulling the grids out spraying them off which means me getting soaked and splattered with filthy DE. The grids are very expensive ($60-80$ each x 8) and tend to need replacing every few years it seems like. Plus when I start up the pool each year I can only run for a few hours before having to backwash and load up with DE which is an additional expense. From what I read, I won't have to deal with any of that with a sand filter and it should last longer between backwashes. The reason I started considering it was a comment by my pool guy who replastered my pool and has done some work on my system, who said that when his filter went out he was switching to sand.

Duraleigh, I think that makes sense. I will look up the pumps specs and see what I find out. Thanks.

I have an issue with figuring out the pump specs. I know the pump is a Hayward Super II, but I'm not sure which model number plus I changed the motor out last year and lowered the hp from 2 to 1.5. Any ideas on how to figure out what spec to use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.