Taking care of my pool

PH high and no chlorine

I was told my PH was high and I have no Chlorine - I have added 3/4 of acid and turned my chlorine know to 3 - I will be shocking my pool in the next hour or should i add liquid chlorine. Any help from someone would be nice.

Welcome to the forum poolcruz! First thing is first, since you were told that info, that means you probably had the pool store do the test? We highly recommend you stay away from them as their tests are always not very accurate and they really just want to sale you stuff. The 2 tests kits recommended here are the Taylor k-2006(my choice) or the TF-100(very popular). There will be people by shortly with better write ups and links.

Switching to bleach, regular unscented, not splash less, just regular bleach as soon as possible will be in your best interest. Order a test kit, let's get some good numbers, and we can direct you from there.

Also, please update your signature so we know the pool and equipment you have.

Thanks!

Josh

PC,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool questions... :wave:

The main feature about our pool care process is knowing what and when to add chemicals to your pool. I see you added 3/4 of a gallon of MA to reduce your pH. What was your original pH level and what level were you trying to reach?

Having zero chlorine (FC) is never a good idea, but to know how much chlorine to put in you really need to know your CYA level.. See this chart... https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

The whole point is that you need to know where you are, before anyone can decide how you can get to where you want to be.

I would suggest that you read the following link.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

What type of test kit are you currently using to test your water? (You need this to find out "where you are"...)

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I just shocked the pool with a 1lb Cholor Brite by leslie pools, and I am using the following test kit 5 way swimming pool test kit by pool stlye. I am not sure what you mean by CYA?? I apologies, I am very new to this, I have never had a pool of our own until now. I will update my signature, if I knew what you meant by this.

CYA is stabilizer/conditioner. It's a by-product in many chorine tablets and bags of shock. So without knowing it, you increase CYA to a level that's difficult to manage. Happens to most of until we learn about TFP. :grin: Make sure to read the links you see in our signatures to get started. Once you do, it will all start to make sense. Definitely make sure to get one of the recommended test kit though. I love my TF-100. Trust me, you'll use it and save money by staying way form the pool store. :) Welcome!

To update your signature, click on "My Profile" at the top of the page and then click on the "About me" tab. There will be a bit to learn in the beginning, but it isn't difficult and there are plenty here to help walk you through it. You will be glad you did and your wallet will be too.

Im going to test the pool tomorrow morning, I was told last week to turn down the knob on the auto chlorinator to 1, i think thats why i had no chlorine. I have turned it up to 3 now and with the acid/shock that i added today, i hope this fixes the issue. I need to learn everything that is needed about the chemicals i need to make sure the water stays nice. I have a great pool builder, i have confidence in them that i have nice equipment. The only thing we didnt get was the Paramount inground cleaning system, the additional cost was to much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PC,

If you have the time, you might want to use the search box in the upper right side of this screen and look for what most people here think of puck auto chlorinators... They seem good at first, but soon the CYA level in your pool will increase to a point that you almost can't add enough chlorine to keep your pool from turning green. In fact, I believe that poor results from using puck dispensers are the main reason most people visit this site to begin with.

I would suggest that you think about switching to a saltwater pool, as it sounds as if you already have most of the equipment you need to make it work perfectly.

Good luck with your pool and let us know if we can help in anyway.

Jim R.

I will take a look at the reviews. I cant change to salt water due to the travertine that is around the pool coping and deck. The salt will eat the tile. I want to learn the chemicals on my own this way i dont have to go to the poolstore every week. I also add poolperfect w/phos in once a week, what are your thought on that?

PC

The only thing I routinely add to my pool is Muriatic Acid to adjust pH, and in the winter when my SWCG if off, I add Liquid Chlorine/Bleach. No weekly shocking, no Phos-Free, no Pool-Perfect, no "Magic" pool-store "this will fix everything" chemicals.

Once a season I add some stabilizer (CYA) and of course, in my case some salt.

Most Pool $tore products are only good for removing money from your pocket and giving it to someone else.

Thanks.. We are here if you have any more questions... :shark:

Jim R.

Miles,

You have, or will have a SWCG, so your CYA level should be 70 to 80 ppm... See this chart.. https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

If you have yet to add salt, then I'd still add CYA and try to get up to 40. To be honest, this time a year having low CYA is not a major issue as not as much FC gets used up anyway.

Measuring CYA when the water is cold will not give an accurate reading. For a good CYA test in the winter, you need to let the water warm up to room temp, before testing.

Jim R.

Poolcruz, I'll toss my *welcome!* into the pile here and move on to warn you about "packs of shock" and "pucks" and any granular type of chlorine. To make chlorine (which is normally a gas) into a puck or powder, they have to add something else to it. That something else is either CYA (a stabilizer) or calcium. Both of those ingredients build up with the continued use of granular/powder/shock products and cause a lot of problems.

You live in an area where water evaporation is going to cause your calcium level to rise already. And CYA, while a necessary thing in your pool, it builds up and doesn't leave unless you drain and refill water.

Most folks here appreciate the ease of use of a SWG. I can't speak about how it might affect travertine though. Liquid chlorine can be used also...aka.. bleach! The same bleach you have in your laundry room.

Read the A-B-Cs of pool chemistry and let us know how we can help you. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

No need to waste your money on PhosLo or weekly "shock" products either. Your pool will be well cared for with just liquid chlorine, Muriatic Acid when needed and perhaps a bit of baking soda or borax once in awhile.

Yippee :flower:

I just tested my pool and the chlorine is over a 5, the ph is about a 8 now. I lowered the knob for the chlorine to a 2, just now. I think the chlorine high due to the knob being a 3 all day yesterday and due to the 1lb bag of shock i poured in, I added 3.4 of acid yesterday morning before I added shock and turned up the chlorine. When you say you use bleach do you mean bleach?

Yes, we use regular bleach from the grocery store. Make sure it's regular - not scented or splashless. Also remember, just because your FC is at 5, it doesn't mean it's high. It could actually be low depending on your CYA (stabilizer) reading. This is why the proper test kit is absolutely critical. If you're using one of those simple 5-way drop kits, you're not seeing the true chemistry and really should consider either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. As you've seen posted above more than once, refrain from pool store products, bags of shock, and other chemicals that can have an adverse effect on your water. Everything you need in listed on the TFP Recommended Chemicals page (link in my sig). Remember though, it all starts with one of those proper test kits. :)

Thank you, every time i go to the pool store they inform me to do this and that, now i added that shock yesterday afternoon now my chlorine is over a 5 according to my tester, how do i bring my levels down. I may have to go to the pool store one last time. Geez this is so confusing for me, i need to get better at this asap, or else i might is well leave my wallet at the pool store. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.