Taking care of my pool

Thank you, I was told to check my pool for a leak due to the CYA being so low. I didn't realize that the TA and PH work together, I was always adding MA on a daily basis. The pool builder will be out tomorrow to start a leak test and he informed not to do anything to the pool. If there is not leak (which I hope there is not one) I will drain the pool this weekend. I am also a bit confused with the salt being at 1800, I think its from the the bleach and the MA, :confused:. I will let you know what the out come is on the leak. Thanks for your help!!!

What test did you use to get your salt reading of 1800 ppm? Trichlor, dichlor, liquid chlorine, and muriatic acid add salt to a pool.

Have you tried a bucket test for the leak? See Pool School - Leak Detection

Are you having to add water alot now? Your evaporation should be lower, but will not be zero at any time here.

Take care.

A friend that I met on this sight came over and tested my water for me to check my numbers. She tested the salt, i need to buy the test drops so I can test for salt. I only used MA and Liquid Chlorine for the pool. I don't use the Trichlor, dichlor. The pool builder is testing the pool, they started the test yesterday. I am lucky that have a great builder, they respond to my messages quick. I have not had to add water. I will start the drain Saturday Morning, if I don't have a leak. :) .

I drained the pool last night and started filling it around 1:00am. I am starting over with new water, hopefully wont have to this for about a year or 2 years. I don't have a leak (this is great news), i guess the water evaporated that quick. I am going to try to find some links on how to start adding the chemicals that are needed to the water. I hope it all goes well. :)

DCVegas- have you obtained your own test kit yet? Once the pool is filled, run a full set of tests and we'll help guide you as to what you need (or don't need) to add. And in which order.

We need to know:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
(and your CYA will be zero as that is not found in water naturally, so no need to test for it this first time)

Maddie :flower:

Great. Do you have a proper test kit yet? If so, please indicate that in your signature. If not, you need one, now.

First thing is to dissolve 30 ppm of CYA powder in the pool. During filling, I put the powder in a sock (you might need a few with that size pool) and put them in a bucket with one of the hoses of fresh water streamed into it. Squeeze them everyonce in awhile and they will dissolve.

Add liquid chlorine / bleach to get 3 ppm in the water. You will need to check this every other day during the winter.

Check your pH and add acid to lower to 7.2. Your TA will be high so your pH will continually rise. Check it every few days when you check FC and add acid as necessary.

That will be it until about March 1. Then, depending on how you plan to chlorinate long term, you will raise your CYA some and start monitoring your pH and FC daily. Your chlorine usage will start to increase. You will follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. In the summer, your CYA will need to be at 50-60 if you are using liquid chlorine. You will consume FC quickly due to sunlight and must add DAILY or you will have a problem.

Take care.

Yes, I have the TF-100 kit :). I may sound ignorant, (CYA powder) is 30ppm the same as 30oz, CYA is the conditioner? I picked up Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer from Home Depot, I hope this fine. I will chlorinate with liquid Chlorine, from my understanding the tablets are a BIG no no. I will gather all the information after I test, it should be full in about 40 minutes. I do have a question, do I start the pump and get everything going after I test or as soon as it fills?

So the CYA you purchased is powder? If so, use PoolMath to come up with 30ppm.
In your 10k pool, it would be 40oz of powder.

You will not be able to see the CYA in your test until several days after you add it.

Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait until full to start your pump. But you can add the items I mentioned while filling, as long as you are pretty close to full (should be by now).

I have the test results listed below with the new water that was just added;

PH 8.5 -67oz of MA to get it to 7.2 (to lower TA)
FC .5 - 30 of Bleach to get it to a 3 (for now)
CC 0
CH 275 (not sure if i need to do anything with this)
TA 150 ( Need to lower PH to a 7.2)
CYA 0 - 40oz of stabilizer in a sock in a bucket to dissolve it first, then I will poor in the skimmer, or should i add it to the sock and place in the skimmer?
CSI says its 1.14 - still a little confused what this is. I read about this, i think you control it with your PH?

It says my pool water is 73 degrees, I don't think my Screen logic is correct due to it being new water? Ok getting ready to turn on the pool, I will add the Chlorine first, and then I will add CYA? I am not having luck with finding something to read about what chemicals to add first with new water. If I could get some help with understanding what to add first, I would appreciate it? I am going to go start the pumps now. :) wish me luck LOL.

With the CYA (stabilize) put it in a sock (like you wear) and hang it in front of a return with the pump on. You can give it a squeeze or 100 to help it dissolve.

You can go ahead and do the tests right now. In fact you should test your fill water and write that down for future reference. It will help you know what you start with and what you will need to do each time you have to add water.

Like Maddie said though do NOT bother testing for the CYA as that has to be added.

We understand this is all new to you so make sure to ask any and all questions you have. We have all been where you are now so not worries about any questions you will have. We LOVE to help and teach!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA can be added at any time with anything! I like the sock method as there is little chance of any of it getting on your plaster.

FC is next to get it up. It will sit there for a little while. Wait about 15 or so mins before adding any m. acid. chlorine and m. acid don't play well together.

Next is PH to work on the TA. This is will be process. Add m. acid, run pump on high for about 30 min. then retest to make sure it is where you aimed for. Then push the PH back up by rolling the water with the eyeball pointed up and running any water features you have to make the water splash. You will have to play around with this to see how fast you can push the PH back up. After a while you will know how long it takes. Once your PH gets back up to 7.8 you push it back down to 7.2 with the m. acid and start it all over again until you get the TA down to 80. We will see if you pool likes it there to start with.

Ch=no worries for right now.

Temp-when you are out next get a pool thermometer for this very reason. You don't have to keep it in the water if you don't want to.

Let me know how it goes!

I️ added everything yesterday and I️ rested today ph 8.5 added 47 oz MA , FC 2 I️ left it alone , TA 130 lowered PH with Ma , Ch 325 , CYA 22 waiting to retest on Wed , hoping it goes up with what was added yesterday. I️ hope this gets easier.

To my knowledge pH testing blocks only go to 8.2. Be careful to not extrapolate a pH number based on a darker shade in the comparator block.

Take care.

It WILL get easier with time and practice.

What I would like to see you do is retest your PH when you get a chance. If it is higher than 7.8 use Pool Math to see how much m.a. to use to lower it to 7.5. Add the m.a. and let it mix in good for about 30 mins then retest to see if it hit the mark. If not do it again until it does hit the mark.

For the next couple of weeks work on the FC, PH, and TH to get them balanced and staying level on a daily bases. You will need to test these daily for these weeks.

Once everything is level and happy then you will not have to test as often.

I checked the number just now

PH 7.7 - should I add 27 oz of MA Tonight
FC 2
CC.5
TC 2.5 - not going to touch this one today.
TA 110 trying to get this to a 100, I think??
CH325
CYA 28 0R 29 (this one mess with my mind) I think its a 28. Trying to get it to a 30, I will wait until Saturday to see if it goes up before I add more conditioner.
CSI on the pool math on the website is saying now -0.24 target -0.36 (still confused how to read this one)???:confused: I have the app and it says my CSI is -0.09 so I am very confused now. I am wondering why are the numbers not the same on the app and the website Pool Math?

I hope I am getting a solid handle on this soon. :)

Your CYA is 30. Do not try to extrapolate between lines. It is not linear. I suggest filling to a line and then GLANCE at the vial to see if you see the dot. Do not stare down the vial while filling.

Your TA is coming down. When your pH reaches 7.8 add acid to lower it to 7.2. I would suggest getting your TA to 80 or so. That is were mine is most stable with our water.

You do not have a SWCG so your CSI is good between 0.6 and -0.6. Only use the NOW figure.

Watch your FC. Follow the chart. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Take care.

Hi MK , should I have the FC to a 4 according to the FC/CYA chart? I will add 190z of Bleach. I was wondering is it better to use clorox bleach or liquid Chlorine? I wanted to know why does the app say my CSI different from the Pool Math CSI on the website? You say my CYA is at a 30, I will retest it on Wednesday. I appreciate all your help!!

Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

My CSI data is always the same on the app and poolmath. There must be a data point that is different. Water temperature effects it, be sure salt and borate is set at 0.

Up to you to retest your CYA. You have added 30 ppm of powder and your test today is 30.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.