Taking care of my pool

I went to Lowes and the MA they had didn't have the 20 Baume and 31.45%" it was something different, I ended up buying it at the pool store. Home Depot didn't have it at all....

Keep checking at Home Depot.
Our local HD has pool "stuff" on one aisle, but you turn the corner and the MA is on the end cap or even the next aisle. There are 2 in a carton for $11.
I'll bet you overlooked it being unfamiliar. That won't take long. :grin:

Also, for some reason MA is cheaper at HD.

I get my bleach at Walmart. Great Value... $2.94 a jug. (no Creamy, Drip Free, or Scented) You'll see on the side of the jug. (8.25%)

Don't be afraid to get 6-7 jugs at a time. You'll use them all. You might get a few funny looks, but that's okay....
I usually pick up that many nearly every trip to Walmart. You'll need to always have some on hand. Especially in the warmer/hotter months. you'll use most of 1 jug each day.

Trust me. You're gonna OCD on this method for a month maybe, until it just "clicks".
then you'll settle down.
We've been in your shoes.
Welcome to TFP!

Keep checking at Home Depot.
Our local HD has pool "stuff" on one aisle, but you turn the corner and the MA is on the end cap or even the next aisle. There are 2 in a carton for $11.
I'll bet you overlooked it being unfamiliar. That won't take long. :grin:

Also, for some reason MA is cheaper at HD.

I get my bleach at Walmart. Great Value... $2.94 a jug. (no Creamy, Drip Free, or Scented) You'll see on the side of the jug. (8.25%)

Don't be afraid to get 6-7 jugs at a time. You'll use them all. You might get a few funny looks, but that's okay....
I usually pick up that many nearly every trip to Walmart. You'll need to always have some on hand. Especially in the warmer/hotter months. you'll use most of 1 jug each day.

Trust me. You're gonna OCD on this method for a month maybe, until it just "clicks".
then you'll settle down.
We've been in your shoes.
Welcome to TFP!

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please double check the strength of that Home Depot MA carefully and ensure it's 31%. The last time I thought I was getting a good deal on MA at Home Depot, it was half-strength!

I noticed that, is there a reason you can't use it? I ended buying it a pool store because I was not sure. I'm very new at learning all this pool stuff.

It's not that you can't use it, it's that it takes twice as much for the same effect.

In the end, after running the numbers, I returned it, because it was more expensive per ounce than the "proper" strength bottles. If you're going to use it, that's fine! Just make sure you've entered the correct strength into PoolMath so that you get the amount of adjustment you need. :)

It's not that you can't use it, it's that it takes twice as much for the same effect.

In the end, after running the numbers, I returned it, because it was more expensive per ounce than the "proper" strength bottles. If you're going to use it, that's fine! Just make sure you've entered the correct strength into PoolMath so that you get the amount of adjustment you need. :)

I think I will stick with higher strength, it is worth the extra cost

I have been reading all of the info that is provided on this site to learn how to maintain my pool water on my own, and there is a lot to learn. I have ordered the supplies I need to test the water, as it was suggested. Hopefully with the tester, I won’t have to run to the pool store as often to make sure my water levels are good. I am still a bit confused about all of the chemistry that is involved with maintaining the water.:confused: . I also have a few other questions, everything I read informs that the chlorine pucks are bad for the pool, and if I stop using my auto chlorinator, do I need to add chlorine in on a daily bases, and what do you do with the auto chlorinator? My next huge task on top of the water chemistry, is learning how to clean my filter for the first time on my own, this is coming up very soon. I am very nervous about this task, I am not even sure how to remove that huge bolt. If anyone has a few suggestions that they can provide it will be much appreciated. I have Pentair Intellflo vst pump. I was told it will take me approximately 3-4 hours to complete this task, and I need to purchase some kind of oil to lube, and I need to spray a product on the filters prior to washing them down… So much to learn. I am sure I will have a lot more questions as time goes by… I was also told to buy a Pool Rx… I have no idea what I would do with this. Last question for today, I will be planting plants around my pool. I have no plants at this time, any suggestion which plants that do not cause headaches, and can maintain this Vegas heat. Thanks for any suggestions anyone is able to provide. ;)

Plants- look for portulaca or moss rose. :flower: Your local nurseries can help you here as they will stock just what your climate can tolerate. We always try to avoid flowers that are particularly attractive to bees near the pool (plant those further away 'cuz we *need* more bees!)
Do NOT buy PoolRx, for many reasons I won't bore you typing. Just say NO! :hammer: You do NOT need it.

Go to the PoolStore and ask if they have filter cleaner spray? I use that on my hot tub filter, so I *think* it must be the same for cartridge pool filters. You may not actually need it unless your filters are scary. Read your manual (can be found online).

Take the pucks out and use liquid chlorine/bleach daily until you decide how you want to move on. Most folks here *love* their Salt Water Chlorine Generators which can be added to your system, and those that don't have them just pour bleach. Fast and efficient. Cheap too!

Got more questions? Bring'em on!

Yippee :flower:

Thank you, I will not look in to the Pool Rx. I have will review the manual for the pump again. I was told I can not switch to salt water due to the travertine cooping and decking I have. Do you know if regular bleach will hurt the color plaster? As for the plants, I was looking for something that does not make a huge mess, I will check with the nursery. Thank you for all of your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach is chlorine. Chlorine from pucks and chlorine from a jug are the exact same thing. Just a different mode of delivery (and that the pucks bring along extra other ingredients along with the chlorine) Chlorine will not hurt your plaster. Household bleach is usually 8.25% strength. Pool Store liquid chlorine is usually 10-12%.

Now, as to whether salt will damage your travertine I can not say. Was it sealed?

Yip :flower:

Welcome!

I was dropping a lot of $ at the pool store until I stumbled upon TFP.

I have travertine coping and decking that has been in place for 10 years around my salt pool. I have not seen any issues from the salt water causing damage. I love my salt pool, no chlorine to handle and store.

I've got my numbers dialed in where I'm only adding 4-6 oz of acid per week to keep my Ph at 7.7.

Filter-Please put the kind and model in your siggy. I was going to find a video for cleaning it but cannot without this info LOL I am willing to bet there is a video or 3 just for your filter.

You do not need to spray anything on the cartridges before you clean them. For the first time just spray them VERY well with your hose. I made sure they were set at an height I could aim and spray as I walked around them. Get ready to get wet though.

IF they are SO yucky that spraying alone will not get them clean we have ideas for that as well. Here is a link:

Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

Here is another link to help you with what to do each day, week, month. Find what works for you and your lifestyle:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I hope this helps!

Kim:kim:

I have Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filter by pentair. That is great to know that the salt water will not damage the travertine. I didn't seal the travertine, not sure if that makes a difference. I am can't wait to receive the order I placed for the test kit. Thank you for the links, I be sure to read them.

I read the link for the basic care, what exactly is the "Check the filter pressure and backwash/clean" I think the filter pressure is the thing on top of the filter pump. I have no clue what the backwash/cleaner, i have not checked this. Please excuse my ignorance.. still learning all of this pool stuff. I do like reading :study: about it ,and I am glad I decided to take on the job..

I did a google search for you filter and there are LOTS of videos on how to open it and clean it. Go through them and find the one you like the best and go from there. Here is one:Part 1 How To Clean Your Pentair Clean Clear Cartridge Filters - YouTube

I added your filter to your siggy for you.

The gauge on top of your filter is your pressure gauge. Since you don't know how clean your filters are I would clean them before anything else.

Once you have cleaned your filters and put it all back together look at your pressure gauge. Write down what pressure it is at. This will be your "clean pressure". Then do the math........what is 25% over that number? When your pressure gauge gets to that number you will know it is time to clean your filters again.

Let me know how it goes! ( FYI backwash is for sand filters)

Take your time! Take pictures every step of the way. Make sure the phone/camera is away from the water though LOL You are going to get wet so be ready for it.

Someone will be here so give a shout if do need any help. I tend to hop off and on all day so I will try to keep an eye out for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.