Pool Blaster Catfish

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
I couldn't resist writing about this - it's totally perfect for what I needed! I have a good size above ground pool - 20ft. diameter. A barracuda ranger came with the pool; it was passible, but my pool's bottom isn't completely flat; didn't compact the ground well enough; and also my skimmer is an in-pool of a poor design (works okay for skimming but that's it), so if I wanted my ranger to vacuum the whole pool I would have to go out every so often and guide it where I wanted it to go. Kinda defeats the purpose of an automatic cleaner! Not to mention I live between Tucson and Phoenix, the wind blows almost 365 days a year, and so what I usually get in my pool is fine dirt. So vacuuming directly into the filter means having to clean the cartridge - a lot! I also tried a manual vacuum, but with the poor design of skimmer and vacuum plate, I wouldn't get enough suction unless I vacuumed, again, into the filter. Last year was my first year with the pool, and I was rinsing that cartridge about every other week! I couldn't afford a robot, so I was thinking about pressure side cleaner. But the catfish caught my eye, and it's very affordable, ($139) so I decided to give it a whirl. Bought it yesterday, they didn't have fine silt bags for it, but the guy at Leslie's said I could use a nylon stocking; I had some skimmer socks so I stuck one of those in, and then test drove it this morning. It got everything; the little ants that committed suicide, the fine dust, everything! I love it! :-D

Hiya :wave:

I have the poolblaster max made by the same company and I too LOVE it!! No more dragging out the hose that I ALWAYS seem to get tangled up in ..lol..I put a skimmer sock in mine also and can get everything from all the gnats to tree pollen. I sure couldn't see spending and extra $35-40 for their extra fine filter, when a dollar skimmer sock does the exact same thing.

I have never had a robotic pool cleaner. I don't mind getting in , cranking up the "tunes" and vacuuming, it's almost tranquil..lol..It also means I am the only one in the pool. My daughter and all of her teenage friends disappear when they hear the word "vacuum", but little do they know that I plan it so that I can have some alone time...lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.