My backyard stinks!! Help!!

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
Ok. I hve been complaining about this to the Mrs for a while, but now that we have a pool, the stenchs from dog urine is too nasty.

I'm spreading baking soda where he urinates. I just wash with water when I can, but what else can we do? using a pen won't help, because the yards is pretty small. He does in the same spot, pretty much all the time, but it's right at the base of our deck steps! I thought about voltage to train :whip: But an old dog, new tricks, :blah:

Any ideas???

I had junipers at my front door that always smelled like urine. No dog or cat, some junipers just smell that way. Got rid of it.

Kinda funny that the dog doesn't go all around the yard to pee to mark the territory. Is the dog old or afraid of something in the yard?

I wonder if cedar chips would mask the smell?

No junipers, or other bushes, around. I noticed that at our last house.

He's not old or scared, just lazy! He'll Crud anywhere, just doesn't want walk far for a # 1 I guess. Oh, and he doesn't like to walk on wet grass either. What a goof. I'm going to give lime a shot next.

This is funny, my son was the same way, he would walk to the edge of the patio and do it every morning. I just let his mom scream at him a few times and he quit.
Dogs are lazy creatures and I believe your correct about that. They also don't like getting their feet wet just to take a leak, now if they see a cat or a squirel in the back yard it's on wet feet or whatever.
The dog might also be upset, if ya'll get in the pool and don't let it in the pool also, he might be trying to tell you something.
If your dog doesn't freak out when tied up, tie him up to the step with a short leash for a while a few times. He might get the message, because they don't like being around their urine anymore than you do.

Maybe try using one of the pet repellents for that particular spot to get him to go further away, then try and get him to use a particular area you can clean up? Also, there are pet urine nutralizer sprays that sometimes work. If he is lifting his leg it won't help to have a substrate you can remove like for a female dog since he won't squat.

We live in the country so our dog uses the woods - never have the issue with close to the house for him. I'm on the same wavelength as above, try googling pet urine remover or neutralizer and see what you find. I'm guessing something used in barns may work as well? My horses never "go" in the barn or near the barn door, thank goodness but there is an area further back in the corral the mare likes that can get smelly when she is in season - I use cedar shavings back there - I just remove the shavings when soiled.

I grew up on a dairy farm and we used Lime. Helps neutralize the urine.

In town, that may be a different story. Try googling PET STAIN REMOVER. Its an organice pet urine to help grass regrow. It works too and the smell goes away. We have 2 small dogs in our small yard and all I do it water the Crud out of it and us this pet stain remover to help neturalize the soil so the grass is not burnt.

Hope that helps.

Use an enzyme based pet stain remover. Great at removing the smell (I have three small dogs, two of which are notorious for being difficult to housebreak, a yorkie and a miniature longhaired dachshund! I speak from experience. It's not that they cannot be housebroken, these breeds just don't see it as such a great idea to be bothered with! My schnauzer is a perfect lady on the other hand.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.