Are the Intex SWG systems any good?

Jun 13, 2013
Hey all. Still at least 8-10 weeks away from pool opening here at this point (it's still a giant ice cube), but this evening I was at the local Walmart and saw a new Intex 40,000L (10.5K Gallon) SWG sitting on the clearance rack for $175. I didn't get the model number unfortunately but here's the box - I'm sure it'll be familiar to some here.

swg.jpg

My pool is only around 6000G so it's definitely not undersized.

I have a Hayward VS 1.5HP pump so my main concern is the flow rate. My pump runs on low speed 95% of the time, and even when it's running at moderate speed (around 30% IIRC) for my roof mounted solar panel I think I'm still under the 4000GPH capacity.

Is this system worth it, or are these in the "toy/junk" category? I can't get any sort of SWG system up here for less than $1K, so it piqued my interest as I've been contemplating switching to salt for several seasons now.

Lastly, what is the power consumption of these units? Our electricity is SUPER expensive (particularly during peak daytime rate periods) and on the flipside, Chlorine is dirt cheap - I pay around $15 for a 25L (6.5G) bulk pail of 12%. I'm not against paying for the convenience of the SWG if it's going to mean less time worrying/checking my chlorine levels, but if these units draw 10-15 amps constantly, all day long, well...the convenience factor isn't worth the massive electricity bill. I just installed the VS pump last year to get my hydro bills down in the summer so I don't' want to hike them back up again for the sake of convenience.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Are the Intex SGW systems any good?

Sure, they work fine. They are inexpensive and don't have very good reversing/self cleaning circuitry so they tend to scale up more. The output is not adjustable, you just have to run it longer to make more chlorine, which is fine with a 2 speed pump on low. That 4000 gph doesn't mean anything at all. It will definitely make some chlorine for you on the cheap and this is the time to buy them.

Thanks for the info.

What happens if the 4000G/H limit is passed - does it potentially damage the unit or just reduce it's ability to work properly? One of my big concerns seeing as how I have such a powerful pump is that one day one of my family members is going to kick it up to max (to vacuum the pool, or during a heavy usage/pool party day) and damage it somehow. When I see things this inexpensive (compared to the other mainstream options) I always consider the quality issue.

Secondly....are they repairable? When the cell is spent in a few seasons is it basically disposable at that point, or is there any ability to refurbish/repair it?

And lastly, for those familiar with these units....do they just run constantly until the power is turned off? I'm guessing there's not a lot of adjustments?

Be careful with that unit, not only is it generating chlorine, but it is adding copper to the water. I would only consider it if the copper unit can be disabled/bypassed.

Oops, didn't notice the copper part, yes disable the copper ionizer. No, it won't be damaged by pumping more than 4000gph through it. They just use that 4000gph as marketing speak. I know someone with one plumbed to 3hp Intelliflo. No, I don't think they are repairable. I'm pretty sure Intex doesn't sell any spare parts for them. Yes, when it is on it is generating chlorine. They do have a built in timer.

Thanks all. Looks like the copper ionizer is a separate plug that should be reasonably easily disconnected. I also did some Googling tonight and it appears that replacement parts *are* actually available for these.

Saltwater Systems - Replacement Parts - Above Ground Pools - Store - Intex

So, I think I'm going to go grab it tonight. Hopefully it's still there, I'm a poster boy for Murphy's Law so my luck it'll be gone.

Is there a "newbie" thread for salt water conversions? I've been a BBB devotee for years now but saltwater will be all new for me.

I went back this evening (despite the ice storm) and it was still there. I tried to negotiate a better price with the manager on duty (since hey, it was already on the clearance rack, I'm shameless like that and had nothing to lose) but no go, but even at $175 I won't complain.

2 year warranty as well which I didn't notice the first time.

I took it out of the box this evening to check things over and contemplate plumbing it into my system when spring finally arrives.

The housing where the cell (and the unwanted, but very heavy I discovered, copper block) mounts is actually different sizes on one end vs the other, so it will amount to a restriction in the system.

11577.jpg_26.jpg

I'll probably reconfigure my 3400VSP to have it's "Max RPM" somewhat lower this season as to not build unnecessary backpressure. The pump basically never runs on high anyways unless someone presses the max-speed override button for vaccuming or whatnot, but reality is that can be done with a lot lower RPM than what the pump is currently set for anyways.

Great deal! Sounds like me. I said since we no longer need to hunt for food, I instead hunt for bargains. Great having a VS to run into it too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You can get replacement cells direct from Intex. The last one I bought was $78 shipped. They last 2-3 years. These are a bargain IMO.

I have a 4500 gph pump running through it just fine.

You can get replacement cells direct from Intex. The last one I bought was $78 shipped. They last 2-3 years. These are a bargain IMO.

I have a 4500 gph pump running through it just fine.

Thanks, yes, I was glad to see the parts availability as the cell itself is only warranteed for 1 year.

Based on what I've read it seems that one of the more common problems with these is the circuit board inside them frying as a result of what I suspect is probably water infiltration - I think I'll try to build some sort of shelter to keep the rain off of it which should hopefully help alleviate that possibility.

Jeff, your pool is similar in gallon capacity to mine (albeit mine is a 3/4 inground), I'm curious how you found yours for generation capacity - were you ever needing to add extra chlorine, or did it keep up? It looks like my unit is actually a larger one vs yours as well so I'm hoping that aside from pool party days my daily maintenance worries (IE, oops I forgot to add chlorine yesterday, hope the pool didn't go cloudy) will be reduced this coming summer.

During the height of summer, I found I would have to run my SWG up to 14 hours/day to keep my FC level up, but I didn't have to supplement with bleach.

However, I found one of the larger (12 g/hr CL) models on closeout last year for $90, and it only needs to run 3-4 hours per day.

Other than replacing a cell, I've never had any trouble with these. I do take them inside over the winter, but they sit out exposed to the elements the rest of the time.

Is there a list somewhere of the output of different models? As I mentioned in my original post my pool is somewhere between 6000-7000 gallons and the unit I bought advertises 10.5K Gallon capacity so I figure I'm comfortably within it being enough.

I typically run my VSP from about noon until 6PM daily when the sun is directly on my rooftop solar so it only makes sense to run the SWG then as well.

Last summer (First with the VSP) I also ran the pump on a very low RPM from about midnight to 5AM as well just to keep the pool water gently stirring keeping the chlorine moving, but I doubt it would be enough flow to run the SWG. I may reprogram things so that the RPM comes up enough in the night to run the SWG if it turns out the 6 hours a day while the solar is running isn't enough.

I looked up the CL output by model number on Amazon. It's tricky, because Intex seems to change model numbers every year.

It doesn't take much flow to make one work. Low speed will probably do just fine. There's a little plastic flapper that gets pushed up to close a contact switch when water moves past it, and that's all there is to it.

Just to add to the conversation, since you can't adjust the output, after really hot days or heavy bather load I sometimes add some bleach to bring my FC levels back up. I will probably be using mine this year. I just have no idea how to connect it to my Pentair pump/filter. Anyone know what attachments are needed? I may just go to the hardware store with the units and ask.

I'm lucky to have a local pool store that has a massive assortment of pool specific plumbing, piping, fittings etc etc etc in their basement, so once the weather turns here I'm just going to take the actual water pipe portion of the SWG to the pool store and find the appropriate sized spin-on fittings and adapters..and then plumb it in myself. I'm not expecting any difficulty there, I plumbed my entire system from skimmer to jets all myself and this is just another piece in the puzzle. ;)

Well, just following up - I finally got around to plumbing this in 2 weekends back using adapters below.

the intex has weird threading. I used this technique to plumb into my inground system that uses standard pcv threading
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...adapters-Step-by-step-Lots-of-embedded-photos\

Worked perfectly. I set it up initially to run for 8 hours per night when my VSP runs on super low (150RPM IIRC) and it's working perfectly - I actually had to reduce it's runtime from 8 hours per night as my CL were actually getting too high, but once swimming season hits full stride (if it ever does, it's been a miserable cold and rainy spring so far) I'm sure I'll have to turn it up again, but so far so good - very pleased given the token cost!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.