ok cya question along with an fc question

Bowlin

May 4, 2007
Kannapolis, NC
Just checked my CYA and it if I am doing it correct is 50.
So according to cya chart 20 is shock level. And according to how we all do this killing algea process we need to keep it there if possible, correct? And also when its so high 20 ish during the process of losing 4ppm and then adding back to 20. When the process is complete how will I know because we do tend to lose ppm during hot sunny days correct??? So will my nite test be the real determining factor.

FC- 20
CC- 0
TC- 20
PH- 7.4
Alk- 80
CYA- 50

Water is clear but I had an overnite loss of 4ppm.

So last question in this post I promise, When doing the FC test when it turns from red to clear I am done.

Then I add the 5 drops and do I wait, because if I wait it will turn back red, just curious.

You are done shocking when the overnight loss is 1ppm or less, CC is 0.5 or less, and the water looks clear.

In the FC test, use the drops until the red/pink disappears. After 10-15 seconds and still colorless, use 5 drops of the R-0003 to test CC; if there is any it will turn pink immediately. Yes if you wait longer the pink will return, that's meaningless.
--paulr

When you add the 5 drops of R-0003 to test for CC, it will turn pink right away if there is CC. It is normal for the solution to turn pink again if you leave it sitting for several minutes. That doesn't mean anything.

It is the overnight test that tells you how you are doing at killing the algae. Since you lost 4 ppm of FC overnight, you still have more to go before you have killed it all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.