Weird question - but where do you point the return???

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
I've been wondering this - one of my friends says she points it to the bottom to stir up the bottom for better filtering. My brother (who owned this pool before me) points it up and into "the curve" of the oval.

What is the best direction (horizontal and vertical) to point your return?

Thanks!

With a 21x41 I hope you have multiple returns. Usually you want to point them horizontally all in the same direction (left or right) to encourage circulation. Your pool is only 4' deep so pointing at the bottom shouldn't be necessary. If you had a deep end then that might be a consideration.

21x41x4 gives me not quite 26,000 gal, so 30,000 seems like an overestimate unless you do have a deep end.
--paulr

PaulR said:
With a 21x41 I hope you have multiple returns. Usually you want to point them horizontally all in the same direction (left or right) to encourage circulation. Your pool is only 4' deep so pointing at the bottom shouldn't be necessary. If you had a deep end then that might be a consideration.

21x41x4 gives me not quite 26,000 gal, so 30,000 seems like an overestimate unless you do have a deep end.
--paulr

We do not have multiple returns - if you do multiple returns, I'm assuming you have to have another pump? This is our first year of pool ownership, and perhaps we should have done that when we just replaced the liner, but we didn't!!!

No, usually you just have the one pump; I have two returns in my pool. Plus the Polaris line, but that's on a separate pump because it needs much higher pressure to run the cleaner.

With one return definitely horizontal to encourage circulation.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.