Tips on Daily FC testing

cjs

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2014
Cypress, TX
I have the TF100 test kit. My CYA is 60-70, so my target FC is 7-8 ppm. The Taylor Chlorine/pH test kit only reads to 5 ppm.

Question, daily usage with the FAS DPD test kit can get expensive when I have to order the refills every couple of months. Is there any other option to verify the FC level on a daily basis over 5 ppm?

Better question, once I get used to chlorinating manually with bleach, do most people test daily and add chlorine daily, or will I get to the point where it is only once or twice a week. Also, will I get to where I can just add a certain amount, like 64 ounces of bleach, twice a week, and then test less frequently?

In other words, just curious how people schedule the BBB "lifestyle" into their daily routine (around work, kids, etc.). I'm eager to get full fledged into BBB, but want to hear how people make it work.

Lastly, my 4 year old is watching me type and is dying to see a smiley in the message...so here's her selection:

:party:

She wanted a second one:

:whoot:

Thanks for your input.

Hi, Craig,

I use the FAS/DPD test every three weeks or so. I know in advance how much my pool uses (you will, too)so I simply add chlorine 3 times weekly to keep the pool at the 4ppm level.

I use the OTO test every few days just to make sure I have some chlorine in the pool.....I don't really care if it shows 2ppm or 5+ppm......just that I have chlorine in the pool.

Sooner than you think, you will be able to do the same. Others prefer to test more frequently. Once daily with the OTO test and a full set of test results (including the FAS/DPD) each week. That is certainly the best way to do it and if your schedule permits, I would encourage you to do that.

(Actually, I guess I'd like for everyone to test every few hours......my refill business would be stunning! :shock: :shock:)

If you do both the FAS-DPD and OTO for a while, and maintain your target level pretty well, you'll learn what color to expect on the OTO test and can use that for your daily confirmation. Weekly FAS-DPD seems to be a common pattern just to check. If you're consistent in your pool usage and chlorine addition then you'll get used to what it needs after a while and won't need to test as often.

(I'm not there yet... :oops: keep fussing with things too much. Oh, the CYA is too high. Oh, I should put a cover on. Oh, the rains are diluting everything. Oh the CYA is too low. I haven't been in a regular pattern for months. Now I'm going to be gone most of July and will have to go back to tabs in the floater for those trips... sheesh.)
--paulr

duraleigh said:
Once daily with the OTO test and a full set of test results (including the FAS/DPD) each week. That is certainly the best way to do it and if your schedule permits, I would encourage you to do that.

This is probably the most common method of testing I keep hearing repeated. pH & FC daily and break out the big kit about once a week.

This is for your 4YO: :bounce: :sun: :nemo: :fish:

We had the pool built in October, 2007. This is the second summer I've had it. Up until May of this year, I just kept the chlorine feeder full once a week, tested for pH, TA, and Chlorine with the OTO kit. I did not know of the relationship between CYA and the amount of FC needed. Every once in a while, I'd take a sample to the PS to verify my reading.

All was well, and very easy, until shortly after a big rain we had in May. I started to see a small mustard algae bloom. I went to the pool store, and the problems started when they said my CYA was at 250. No other tests revealed that to be true, and the PS couldn't even give accurate recommendations (they even said so) if that was a true reading. They agreed it didn't make sense, but couldn't explain why the test would be wrong.

Basically, out of frustration, I started digging in to find answers for myself. Everything I was reading on this site makes sense. The reason for this post is that when I was reading about BBB, it sounded like you had to test and add bleach everyday...I now see that isn't correct.

CYA issues are what started me here, so maybe I am biased...but it seems like that is the most important reading when maintaining your pool. I think most people use the OTO kit. It says ideal is around 2.5 Chlorine, and does nothing to read FC. If you don't pay attention to CYA, keep that at a reasonable level, and apply that number to determine your other necessary levels, then you will eventually have a problem (algae will start to show up...then you will shock but probably not sufficiently to kill the algae).

I spent about $45 on Mustard Out and a CYA test kit...plus a bunch of shock usage that was not sufficient, so I kept using it. Probably all in, spent about $60 chasing my tail with the pool store and that was enough. Since following the directions on this site, my algae problem has been resolved, and, more importantly, I know how I resolved it and how to keep it at bay from here on out.

Craig

:hammer: :thequeen: :party: :whoot:

Like most others, once I got the hang of the personality of my pool and weather conditions, I was able to back off on using a FAS/DPD or OTO daily. Depending on my schedule, a lot of the time I still use test strips because of their ease of use and lack of mess. I know what the colors test to for my pool. I use a test strip most mornings during the week. Sometimes I test with an OTO midweek, but always FAS/DPD on Saturday morning. It's just part of my ritual.

If my morning test strip tests a little weaker than I like in the morning for chlorine, I put a cup or so of bleach in the pool and test it with an OTO that evening and adjust it and other things more in the evening. It works for me.

ok. the reason I asked is simply because I also had issues (algae) multiple times per season for 3 seasons (actually 4 because I had a bloom this year too) before I found this site. and while I think you ask a good question about using fas-dpd vs. oto or something else due to reagent cost and usage, knowing that I won't get algae anymore is worth ordering more reagent to me. it's the cheapest insurance I can find ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.