High CH - 380

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Tested the water yesterday and everything was fine except my CH which came in at 380. I know up to 400 is ok, but still higher than what I usually have it at and the water is definitely cloudy. First time I have encountered any "issue" since having our pool installed last spring.

My water has been crystal clear since we opened it in the beginning of May, even up to last weekend which is when we last went swimming.

We had LOTS of rain this week. I had to drain the pool twice about 2in each time. From what I think I have read though, rain typically does not affect pool water and if anything usually dilutes the chemicals.

I will admit the last time I tested my CH was 5/17 and it was 200. The only thing we added was our Morton's pool salt, but then again, as I said, the water has been clear until this week. Does salt have calcium in it?

Why then is my CH so out of balance all of a sudden? How can I get my crystal clear water back??? :(

TF100 Test Kit....
FC....2.0 ( I have the "boost" on the SWG on rigth now)
CC....0.0
TC....2.0
pH....7.2
TA....95
CH....380..!!!!
CYA....65
the salt level is also very high....4800, but has also been like this for a few weeks.

Repeat the test. This time, wipe off the dropper tip every few drops with a damp cloth.

Static electricity can cause smaller drops of the R-0009 and that will skew the results. The damp cloth will cure it.

Report back your results. Let's resolve that issue first and then go from there. :-D

I will retest wiping the dropper each time. I actually did say to DH last night that the drops seemed a little small, so maybe you are on to something. Afterall you are the expert with the TF Test kit.

I turned the boost mode off. This is the first time I ever used it. I have to replenish my stock of bleach and be sure to have some on hand for times like these.

I will retest and post again. Thx.

I did retest the CH level and wiped the tip after each drop. The new reading was 270, still higher than what it was in mid-May, but better. I did notice after wiping the tip of the dropper each time, some of the drops were bigger....not all though, so I think the 270 might still be a little higher.

I do not think I ever "officially" had algae b/c my CC tested at "0", but where we live, there are alot of "black dirt" farms and I do think with the 4 inches of rain we got last week, it brought in alot of contaminants and dropped my CL level quicker than I had the SWG to pump out each day. Pool looks clearer once I dumper 4 gallons of bleach in it on Saturday. I will continue to keep the CL level higher than normal by adding bleach until it breaks down the contaminants.

Thx for your help.. :)

duraleigh, thanks for the tip on the dropper. My CH was 440 last night down from 480 on Wed. I was prepared to take out 30%. I will recheck toning wiping the tip and then determine my course. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.