Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High CH - 380

1. Back To Top    #1

High CH - 380

Tested the water yesterday and everything was fine except my CH which came in at 380. I know up to 400 is ok, but still higher than what I usually have it at and the water is definitely cloudy. First time I have encountered any "issue" since having our pool installed last spring.

My water has been crystal clear since we opened it in the beginning of May, even up to last weekend which is when we last went swimming.

We had LOTS of rain this week. I had to drain the pool twice about 2in each time. From what I think I have read though, rain typically does not affect pool water and if anything usually dilutes the chemicals.

I will admit the last time I tested my CH was 5/17 and it was 200. The only thing we added was our Morton's pool salt, but then again, as I said, the water has been clear until this week. Does salt have calcium in it?

Why then is my CH so out of balance all of a sudden? How can I get my crystal clear water back???

TF100 Test Kit....
    FC....2.0 ( I have the "boost" on the SWG on rigth now)
    CC....0.0
    TC....2.0
    pH....7.2
    TA....95
    CH....380..!!!!
    CYA....65
    the salt level is also very high....4800, but has also been like this for a few weeks.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: High CH - 380

Repeat the test. This time, wipe off the dropper tip every few drops with a damp cloth.

Static electricity can cause smaller drops of the R-0009 and that will skew the results. The damp cloth will cure it.

Report back your results. Let's resolve that issue first and then go from there.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

FC....2.0 ( I have the "boost" on the SWG on rigth now)

I would suggest using bleach to bring you chlorine level up as using "boost" will shorten the life of the cell on your SWG. Just a suggestion.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will retest wiping the dropper each time. I actually did say to DH last night that the drops seemed a little small, so maybe you are on to something. Afterall you are the expert with the TF Test kit.

I turned the boost mode off. This is the first time I ever used it. I have to replenish my stock of bleach and be sure to have some on hand for times like these.

I will retest and post again. Thx.
    18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian Lazy L (20k gallons) ~ Whisperflo DS 2.0HP pump ~ QuadDE100 filter ~ Autopilot SWG DIG-60 ~ (7) 4x16 solar panels

5. Back To Top    #5

the cloudiness may be from algae. I've never had cloudy water and my ch is 625. your chlorine got way too low on you (for your cya level).
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

I did retest the CH level and wiped the tip after each drop. The new reading was 270, still higher than what it was in mid-May, but better. I did notice after wiping the tip of the dropper each time, some of the drops were bigger....not all though, so I think the 270 might still be a little higher.

I do not think I ever "officially" had algae b/c my CC tested at "0", but where we live, there are alot of "black dirt" farms and I do think with the 4 inches of rain we got last week, it brought in alot of contaminants and dropped my CL level quicker than I had the SWG to pump out each day. Pool looks clearer once I dumper 4 gallons of bleach in it on Saturday. I will continue to keep the CL level higher than normal by adding bleach until it breaks down the contaminants.

Thx for your help..

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by nupoolsoon
    I do not think I ever "officially" had algae b/c my CC tested at "0",
    Algae doesn't necessarily cause CC; I had a bloom a couple weeks ago and never saw CC > 0.5 the whole time.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

duraleigh, thanks for the tip on the dropper. My CH was 440 last night down from 480 on Wed. I was prepared to take out 30%. I will recheck toning wiping the tip and then determine my course. Thanks again.
    Scott
    1) 24000 gal
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) plaster
    5) 1 hp

9. Back To Top    #9

So what purpose does the CC test serve? I guess I will stop testing for CC's if it doesn't tell me anything.

Regardless, my water is clear now anyway.

10. Back To Top    #10

If CC is higher than 0.5 you know you have a problem. Algae sometimes causes CC, and other things can as well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School