non-chlorine shock vs. super chlorinating

Jun 16, 2007
Dallas, TX
I've been told I should shock the pool every week, and if the chlorine level is within range then I should use a non-chlorine shock (simply to oxidize, I think). I'm wondering if it's the super-chlorination that's important or the oxidation or both? Can someone explain the difference and what I should be doing? I'm confused! :?

You don't need to shock your pool every week, or even every month, as long as you take care of it for a few minutes each day. You should shock your pool if the free chlorine level falls to zero, or the combined chlorine level gets over 0.5, or there is something growing in your water, and once at the start of each season. Other than that there is no need to shock your pool. If you keep track of your pool daily the only one of those that will normally happen is the once at the start of the season.

It is generally better to use regular chlorine to shock the pool, instead of non-chlorine shock. There are a few special cases when non-chlorine shock is useful, but most people with outdoor pools will never run into them.

Pool stores tell people to shock weekly because they assume you are ignoring your water and letting things get out of hand and because they want to sell you more products.

Non chlorine shock works differently than chlorine. It will not break down chloramines but rather helps prevent them from forming if a residual is in the water at all times. This means weekly addition$ of the non chlorine shock. It will also test as CC unless a $pecial reagent is used to remover the interference during testing. It is going to cost you more money than chlorine. For an outdoor pool it is an unnecessary expen$e, IMHO. For an indoor pool it does have certain benefits in terms of indoor air quality and redection of CC since an indoor pool gets no UV light from the sun and the UV light is part of what breaks down CC when you shock with chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.