Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: non-chlorine shock vs. super chlorinating

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3

    non-chlorine shock vs. super chlorinating

    I've been told I should shock the pool every week, and if the chlorine level is within range then I should use a non-chlorine shock (simply to oxidize, I think). I'm wondering if it's the super-chlorination that's important or the oxidation or both? Can someone explain the difference and what I should be doing? I'm confused!
    June

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,887
    You don't need to shock your pool every week, or even every month, as long as you take care of it for a few minutes each day. You should shock your pool if the free chlorine level falls to zero, or the combined chlorine level gets over 0.5, or there is something growing in your water, and once at the start of each season. Other than that there is no need to shock your pool. If you keep track of your pool daily the only one of those that will normally happen is the once at the start of the season.

    It is generally better to use regular chlorine to shock the pool, instead of non-chlorine shock. There are a few special cases when non-chlorine shock is useful, but most people with outdoor pools will never run into them.

    Pool stores tell people to shock weekly because they assume you are ignoring your water and letting things get out of hand and because they want to sell you more products.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    28
    Quick question on shocking............ What would be the minimum FC ppm reading to say you reached "shock levels?"

    THere must be a minimum I would think before you could even say you shocked the pool.

    Thanks - Jim
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

    For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    check out Ben's best guess chart, linked in my signature. The FC levels needed to sanitize and shock are VERY dependent on your CYA level.

    8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    28
    HUgs Grace - just what I needed!
    14 X 28 vinyl lined IG pool with Hayward pump/filter, an Aqua Genie skimmer and a TF test kit.

    For the first five years I thought pool maintenance was a snap. Little did I know what my future held using stabilized chlorine. BBB from now on....... you live and learn.
    P.S. Understand that when you ask questions the answer may not be one you like.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Guest
    Non chlorine shock works differently than chlorine. It will not break down chloramines but rather helps prevent them from forming if a residual is in the water at all times. This means weekly addition$ of the non chlorine shock. It will also test as CC unless a $pecial reagent is used to remover the interference during testing. It is going to cost you more money than chlorine. For an outdoor pool it is an unnecessary expen$e, IMHO. For an indoor pool it does have certain benefits in terms of indoor air quality and redection of CC since an indoor pool gets no UV light from the sun and the UV light is part of what breaks down CC when you shock with chlorine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •