No flow through skimmer basket with pool cleaner operating

Recently just had our pool remodeled. We also upgraded to a new variable speed pump (Intellipro 2 VST). And we threw out our old Kreepy Krauly and purchased "The Pool Cleaner". I have The Pool Cleaner dialed in at 12rpms as recommended and it looks like it is doing a fine job so far. The pump is currently set at 2350rpm. In order for the The Pool Cleaner to obtain the proper 12rpm I had to adjust the three way valve as such that there now seems to be no flow at all through the skimmer basket. Have others encountered the same issue? I am guessing the solution would be to run the pool pump at a higher rpm which would allow me to dial back the 3 way valve forcing my suction at the skimmer basket while still allowing for the 12 rpms on The Pool Cleaner. But I rather avoid this if possible since this would mean using more energy to clean the pool. But I also don't want to manually have to toggle the 3 way valve every time I want to skim the top water.

We never had this issue with the Kreepy Krauly as the old pump constantly operated at a much higher pressure and we always had flow through both the skimmer basket and the Kreepy Krauly.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Is "The Pool Cleaner" a pressure side cleaner? It does not have it's own pump? What model is the your pool cleaner?

It's the two wheel model (poolvergnuegen). And it's a suction side pool cleaner. It's hooked up to it's own pool cleaner port (it's not hooked up to the skimmer basket line). But it does not run on it's own pump. The pressure gauge on the filter element is reading about 10psi at 2350 rpm on the pump.

You will have to increase the rpm's and, yes, use more energy. Toggling the valve is the trade off......I wouldn't want to do that, either, and I think you will find you will not be able to detect the extra increase in your utility bill.

You will have to increase the rpm's and, yes, use more energy. Toggling the valve is the trade off......I wouldn't want to do that, either, and I think you will find you will not be able to detect the extra increase in your utility bill.

Thank you. I upped the rpm's to 3050. The pump has a max rpm of 3450 but for some reason I couldn't get the digits to go up that high. I'll look into that latter if I feel I need to. But 3050 seems like enough for now. I toggled the three way valve back and still have enough rotations on the pool cleaner and can visually see the water moving in the skimmer basket now too.

I have a similar type set up - Pentair Rebel suction pool cleaner, suction side port and an Intelliflo VS pump. I run the pump at about the same speed (2250 rpm), close the main drain and dial back the skimmer so it is about halfway open. Do you have a main drain and have you tried closing it when running your cleaner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.