New Pool + Cabana + Putting Green - Lucas, TX

Please tell Todd I think I love him! That is THE pool for you! WOWER!!!!! He nailed it! I really hope you have a present in mind for him when the pool is finished! Yeah I know he is getting paid but he really seems to be going the extra mile and then some!

The change with the concrete is a good one. I liked the rock but LOVE this! THEN you go and dress it up with the flagstone!!!!!!! Oh yeah! That does it!

Any time line on the permits?

Oh I see MY spot! On that hammock! Under the stars and the water feature going! That will be the life! ahhhhhhhhh

Kim:kim:

I've heard from neighbors that our small town of Lucas, TX is really fast. So my fingers are crossed it won't be much longer. We're also waiting for HOA approval.

Site visit with designer Todd and the project manager (who I haven't met yet) is tomorrow afternoon.

Really hoping to break ground in a few weeks. Enough talk already, I wanna see some action!

Did you do barstools by the cabana? If you already mentioned this sorry , if not if might be something to consider since it looks like that will be a nice conversation area and it's raised which provide a great place to sit down beverages
Pool looks amazing! If I can find a house in Vegas with that kind of property I'm in for something similar lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks amazing! I think having the flagstone around the different areas will help tie everything together. Love the tile too. So great to have people who are patient and get you. This very reason is why we chose our PB. Sounds line you found a great company. What is the expected timeframe for completion if everything goes on schedule?

Update...

The plan has been approved and the permits granted. We got a call today that the excavation was scheduled for Friday! They even put a sign in the front yard... no turning back now!

I've also got my first quote on landscaping. Let's just say, it was outrageous. Would you pay $15K for this?? That doesn't include the putting green or the cabana. Just the landscaping itself. He wants $6k for the stone borders around the beds. I told him to skip that. He's also charging almost $1K for the stepping stone path to the side yard. I'm also not sold on the plant selections he made for us.

What do ya'll think I should do? I could really use your help with design and plant selection. Note that there are two small oaks that I can relocate.

Finally, do you think i should do the landscaping myself? Also, what about landscape lighting? And speaker wire?

I would put in a call to at least3 more companies and see what they have to say.

How do you feel about digging holes? If your body could take the beating than you can do it! Hop down to your local nursery and see how much those trees costs (make sure to find out deliver fees!).

You might be able to find some teenage boys to dig the holes for you.

We can help you design it but I think a pro's idea that knows your area should be able to help as well.

Kim:kim:

Give Pucketts a try on landscaping. I haven't used their design service yet but they'll be here next week. We use SONOS speakers inside and out. They aren't waterproof but we've had them outside for more than 2 years now under roof and they are great. Plug them in and go. There are several recent threads here discussing Sonos and other outdoor sound options.

Just like pool building, landscaping costs can go up fast, and then sneak up even more. As for your bid, I can't say if it's fair or not considering his plant selections, borders, mulch for numerous and large beds, and the going prices for your area. Like pooldv said, definitely get other bids. I had 2 bids $10k-15k different for similar work. Google "Nextdoor for (your neighborhood)". Like TFP, it is free, and you can get great recommendations from neighbors in your area from 'real' people close to you with recent experience - don't forget to do a search within the site for recent and past posts on landscapers.

You do have a huge area, so it could take a lot of plants depending on what you're wanting. It looks like he's using a number of large trees/bushes to give you some visual interest and privacy in a large space. Those quickly raise costs. I'm not familiar with many of your plants, so I can't say much about those for cost or pros/cons.

Things I do like about the design:
Your designer hasn't jam-packed the design with a million plants - suggesting 20 bushes when 8-10 would do. The designs I've had through the years would not have shown any brown mulch at all. Lol!!! Still, depending on growth rates and size of the beds, you might be able to cut down some of the numbers of plants. Caution here: make sure you know if the number of plants he's showing on the design is in fact the number he plans to use. Some landscapers will show 10 liriope on the design but on the written quote, list 40.
I really like the stone path to the equipment pad - practical, convenient, and low maintenance. But that's a simple path of crushed granite with flagstones on top (and a sturdy rim of some sort to contain the crushed granite). I'll pay my own plane ticket, room, and board and do it for $1000 and go home with money in my pocket!!! (maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift!)
He's smart about the borders on the beds he places them. They will protect your putting greens, decking, and pool from run-off when you have those downpours. I'm having to add quite a few borders now after fighting run-off. Depending on the sizes of the beds and materials he's planning to use, borders can get expensive. Consider your home and the look you're going for when deciding on border materials - casual, stately, manicured, natural, or simply practical. For my house and a moderate cottage look, I'm plunking down pavers from Home Depot for about $1-2 a foot. I could go cheaper or a lot more expensive, but those suit me and my yard.

Plants - just the ones I know about:
I agree completely with Marla on ditching the ligustrum. For a manicured look, they can be trimmed beautifully (takes a lot of work and maintenance). I have almost no allergies, but ligustrum makes me sick in the spring when blooming.
Oleander would make a lovely and colorful backdrop to the rock wall. It is extremely toxic, so not good if you have children/pets. Make sure they're hardy for your area.
I love lorapetalum. I have a few, but mine need more sun. Check for the size of the varieties he wants to use. The blooms are stunning. I don't know if those by the pool would give you headaches from the spent blooms (tiny).
I don't care for juniper or cedar related plants because of the allergies.
Hawthorne - I LOVE it - can't grow it. Sigh.......
My most recent new plant love affair is with drift roses! I hadn't heard about them until my pool landscaper used them. Then Bmoreswim convinced me it was a good idea. Wow! I love them. So easy, bloom all year (lighter in the winter), and showy. I've had no disease or insect problems. Check on those.

Landscape lighting: Definitely. I never treated myself to that over the years, now I wish I had. I love mine. Again, watch that the landscaper doesn't overdo it, but for your size yard, you may need quite a bit. You don't want so little it doesn't show up - not worth the money. But some landscapers want your yard visible for helicopters to land. I have Kichler path and uplights. I love them. One uplight survived a 2 ft. fire ant mound built over it. (I couldn't figure out why that light went out - it was lighting the inside of the mound so the fire ants could build a better tunnel system)

DIY: You CAN do a lot of this on your own. Do you have the time? Do you want to - ie, would it make you very, very cranky to do it yourself? You already have a nice design to begin. And landscaping can easily be done and enjoyed in stages (unlike a pool!!!)

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Suz

Landscape sticker shock is not fun! Agree with Suz about doing in stages. I'd check Tree Land nursery in Gunter about doing those Savannah or Eagleston hollies at the side fences and the Nellie Stevens hollies at the back fence...(wish I'd known about them before we built our pool) And get a few more quotes on the beds near the pool and house, then maybe add that bed at back fence later down the road? Does their price include drip irrigation in the beds?

We didn't do the landscaping lighting and I'm hoping we can add it in the fall. I'm actually glad we waited because now that I've had the pool for a season I've changed my mind about what lights I want and where.

I'm actually not in love with that landscaping design at all. Here's what I sent back to the landscaper so you guys know my thoughts.

BTW... this is the same guy who's building my cabana. He was referred to me by the PB.

I think we need to start over.

Things I do NOT want:

1) I do not want a forest of trees and bushes in the back corner. That is the only place we have to play catch (along the back fence).
2) I do not want the stone border. Way too expensive.
3) I do not want trees along the side fences. I changed my mind on this.
4) I do not like blue fescue. Please suggest something different.
5) I do not like blue point juniper. Please suggest something different.

Here's what I DO want:

1) Move the two existing oak trees to either side of the cabana. They will provide more coverage of the house behind us. Leave room for them to grow.
2) Plant three holly trees just behind the cabana. Not too close. Leave room for them to grow.

3) For the stone path please just use big flagstone step stones (i.e. no gravel). It should look like this: http://www.classicrockinc.com/wp-content/gallery/flagstone/thumbs/thumbs_walkway-and-ok-edging.jpg
4) The flower beds look good. Use a steel border instead of the flagstone.

Please update the quote and the pictures with these requests.

Thank you,

David

Let's see what he comes back with. In the mean time I'm going to go check out the local nurseries referenced above. Thanks everybody!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm just reading up to catch up. I see they have spira for some plants. They r kinda boring if u want color. Quick unimpressive bloom and done. Coreopsis is also just kinda bla. Very invasive too. They r a dime a dozen cost wise. I would deff try to get more color in there.

Just a thought and something I did with my landscaper at my last house. I told him what my budget was minus a few thousand ( so if my budget was 7k I told them 5k) and I told them to draw me up a design and incorporate as many as my wishlist items as possible into that budget. Once I got the plan back I started to negotiate the original price down a bit then add on my wish list items and when it was all said and done I got what I wanted and came in below my budget.
Just an idea I thought I would share and it's worth a shot.
Good luck and keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got rid of 8 holly bushes that became trees in my too small backyard. One caution about holly is that if you like to go barefoot anywhere near it, those leaves are sharp! Plus, when my terriers would go after a rat that was visiting my pool for a drink during the 5 year drought we had here, the darn varmints would skedaddle up the hollies to get away from them. Used to go outside to swim at night and you could hear those nasty things rustling in the bushes. No hollies, no more rats...

Not impressed by the plant choices... there are better choices for this area... lots of good natives, some grasses for movement, some plants for color. Why not a crepe myrtle or two for color away from the pool? Or if you want a native, try Desert Willow-- it has blooms that look like orchids.

As far as roses in North Texas-- a word of caution. Rose Rosette Disease. I lost two gorgeous huge roses to this and haven't planted any replacements yet because I still see sick bushes some of my non-gardening neighbors haven't gotten rid of yet... guess they are waiting for them to finish dying, looking awful isn't enough to motivate them to remove them.

Consider natives for color-- salvias, coneflower, butterfly weed, mallows... and perennials like daylilies, phlox, sages, buddleias,... your pocketbook will thank you for picking plants that can look beautiful with the rainfall we get (or don't) and with watering no more than once a week. We can grow bearded iris here and I've planted dozens (order a lot of them from Schreiner's in Oregon).
DSC07135.jpg

Consider some grasses for movement... my personal favorite is Lindheimer muhly. They look like this in the autumn... gorgeous!!
lindheimer-muhly-grass.jpg

Seriously, I wouldn't consider any landscaper who doesn't recommend using a lot of natives.... after the drought we just came out of, and could experience again, it just makes sense. Plus, since they are adapted to this area, they grow faster and do better here.

But then, I've always been our landscaper... have planted all the beds surrounding our house, and we now have more flowers than lawn.. currently redoing the overgrown backyard, removing cannas, and putting in some different perennials and small trees. Got rid of a yaupon holly tree that was planted near the pool by the previous owner... don't ever do that-- they drop berries that stain the pool and are soapy, plus they send up suckers everywhere... nasty mess every year so I finally got rid of it before our replaster. Would be fine away from a pool and in an area that got mowed underneath to get rid of the suckers.

Check out this website for some info on natives for our area... Texas SmartScape Landscape Management Program - Native and Adapted Plants. If you're interested, I can recommend some books on natives, too.

+1 from above.

I can tell you from years if experience with my grandfather and father in the business. native works best.

coneflowers are i think one fo the best ways to get color. all those hybrids out there right now. i have a ton of pics on my flikr account you can look at. day lilies are bulletproof. you kill one of those i don't know what to tell you! so many colors! soooo many!!!! grasses are a great idea for movement. phlox are also another great ground cover with height. lots of hybrids and they are easy to maintain as well. they spread very nice in mulch.

holly. i just don't like it. you need the whole male female thing to have proper growth and maturation over the years.

oh what about wine and roses in texas. they are wegilia. wegilia are awesome bloomers! not the huge ones like pink prince, but the dwarf verigated variety. or wine and rose like i mentioned. or the verigated pink variety. i have 5 that flank my drive where my mailbos column is and when they bloom people stop tot ake pictures. they explode if you trim them at the right time. right after bloom! cause when not bloomed they are just kinda there, but if you cut back after bloom u get a 2nd explosion up here and then the following spring. don't know about you all down in texas.

i always say hygrangia. little limes! they are my new favorite. i don't mess wit hthe pink blue ones anymore. i love the little white limes. my pool is getting a mass planting of them with carpet roses.

that's my other new fav here in north east. carpet roses and rift roses.

also the back property line. i would take it all the way across and mimic the bends he has. so ya more plants needed though. i like that look. i think having just that one color done is kinda waste. i would do both sides and across or nothing with just random trees.

I'm doing the landscaping myself. As a matter of fact, I've ordered 28 4' Thuja Green Giants for privacy along my fence lines that I will be putting in this weekend for a total cost of $1,050. I'll end up doing it in stages, but would anticipate all of the shrubs and plants I put in over the next couple of years not to be more than $2-3k. Other people's labor is expensive.

These landscape posts are INCREDIBLE! I'm feeling inspired to do this myself! I need to study these plant suggestions when I get back to my PC and maybe even come up with my own design. I like the idea of going native and you all have given me a lot of great options. I also want color, if possible.

TFP is the bomb!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I almost forgot...

This went down TODAY!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.