does this sound right? FC loss

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My CYA is 90 and I've been getting my FC to 12 at dusk for the last few days. It's been sunny all day and hot with temps in the 90's. We've had people swimming every day, pretty much all day.
For the last few days, when I've checked my FC at the end of the day, it's been 7. So, does that sound "normal". I raise it to 12 and then the next evening when I check, it's dropped to 7 and then I raise it to 12 again and then the next evening, it's 7. I'm thinking that tonight, I'll go out at put in 2 jugs of bleach and then check in a couple of hours and the FC will be 12. Then, tomorrow we will swim and check at the end of the day at it will be 7.

TIA

It's not abnormal. Your swimmer load can consume a lot of chlorine. Normal is 2-3ppm per day, but heavy use could raise it to 5ppm pretty easily. The thing to check is your loss overnight. Check it first thing in the morning and you should be pretty close to what you had the night before.

it's about the FC dropping from 12 to 7 from dusk to dusk (in basically 24 hours) with full sun, temp in the 90's, pretty much swimmers in the pool all day. Is this normal?
It's pretty close but maybe a little high.

If you suspect you are losing some to algae rather than bathers and sunlight, do an overnight FC loss test (see Pool School). If you lose more than 1ppm overnight, it's time to shock.

I do not know if there is any such thing as normal, but it was about 3 ppmFC loss due to the sun and 1-2 drop due to the swimming and vacuum etc. for me but at 45-50 CYA and FC of 12 as starting point. It is probably too high for a 90 CYA, but again it may be normal for you and your location. If overnight loss is less than 0.5, it is likely normal in your case.

With a solar cover, the FC loss dropped to about 1 to 1.5 ppm ppm loss.

RV

FC lost because of swimming can be far more than 2 if there are several people in the water for hours.

Given the original description, "people swimming every day, pretty much all day", a loss of 5 seems completely normal to me. If there wasn't anyone swimming at all, the expected FC loss would be much lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.