TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking into a lighting upgrade, and it seems like I can't find a transformer that does what I want.

I have about a 75ft sidewalk to light. I'd like astronomical dusk to dawn along with a remote switching ability. Sometimes we just prefer the darkness since we are way out in the country and it can get really dark. If the transformer was in the living room, it would be fairly easy, but installation and aesthetics makes the garage or basement much better choices.

I can pretty easily rig a switch to shut the lights off anytime I want, but they won't come back on the next evening unless I turn the switch back on. Wifi may be the answer, but it seems kind of silly to have to use my phone to turn the lights on and off.

Anybody know of such a beast?

Hmmmm....closest I have seen are transformers that have integrated timers (2,4,6,8 hours) with a photocell for dusk-till-dawn and triggering timer operations. I have a model like that and, honestly, it's been problematic. They are usually cheaply constructed and, on mine at least, the small LED display that shows what function is active died within a year. I'll eventually replace them with a straight intermatic PX300 and then integrate it with my pool automation panel.

However, doing that kind of rig outside of a pool automation panel is going to involve some fancy work. I would still build it for components as the INtermatic PX300 transformers are bulletproof - you can beat them with a telephone pole and they'll still work. You just need to find a suitable switching source that can be remotely controlled and can handle inductive loads. The photocell part of it is easy to do as there are many different types of 120V photocells that work directly with the Intermatic transformers.

John

Have you thought about using your pool automation to control the lights. Yeah it eats up a relay but if you have a remote is not too bad.

I have mine on my irrigation system. But as you say, if I want to them off it requires firing up the remote or the laptop and navigating to the correct spot.

I have a home automation system (Vera edge) and I use it to turn on an outside driveway light at sunset, and turn off at sunrise - both which are adjusted automatically from the "official" times based upon my lat/long. I can use the "manual" light switch to override at any time, to turn on/off and the next sunrise/sunset it will do what its supposed to do. You can program times as well - i.e. on at sunset, off at specific time (ie 1am). Can get very fancy. Can use phone or web interface as well to control. This is z-wave control. I have it control other things, like hooked into home alarm, so I can control and see all the sensors. So if the front door opens after sunset and before sunrise, it will automatically turn on the foyer light. If the garage door opens after sunset and before sunrise, and the door from the garage into the house opens, it turns on that light (so if garage doesn't open first will not do it, so if just going into garage from inside won't trigger light).

This may be overkill for you to just control one thing, but once you start you will find you will want to hook up more "stuff"

I have many wifi operated things around my house.
For this I would check into Insteon, Menard's carries these as well as on line.I would get a Insteon outdoor on off switch if you plan to mount transformer outside.take on/off pins off of transformer if it has them or set it up to run continually.
You may need the Insteon main hub also, not expensive.
Plugs into your home router if needed.
This way you can turn the on/off switch with your phone, but also they have a small remote unit that looks like a very small garage door open you can place anywhere in the house so you dont just have to use phone.
Also,with the phone app, you can set up a on / off schedule so no need to manually operate , and can be bypassed with the phone o r wall switch.
Sounds confusing but they do so much .

https://www.menards.com/main/landing-pages/vendor/insteon/c-19269.htm?searchTermToCategory=insteon

I use a 600 watt max dual output landscape transfomer to run my backyard lighting. The transformer has the ability to set from dusk to dawn or two hour increments or always on. I set it to always on and use Smartthings system with a smart power outlet to control light using a schedule. I can also use Google Home to voice activate on/off function as needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Have you thought about using your pool automation to control the lights. Yeah it eats up a relay but if you have a remote is not too bad..

Hmm.. think I might be interested in doing this also. I have an EasyTouch8 with an extra available relay (PN# 520106). I currently have low voltage lights that connect to a transformer (with photocell) next to my pool equipment and plugged into my utility GFI outlet on the side our of automation can. Anyone have a wiring diagram?

Is it best to rewire the outlet to be toggled on/off from the relay OR cut the 5-15P end and hard wire the transformer directly to the relay?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.