My pool has been sitting for a week.

Lazyman

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
NJ
Hopefully all pools "sit", but mine was actually not being treated either. So, it was filled to just under the return opening and left there for a week now. It may be finished in a few days. Not sure really. Leaves are accumilating in it that I've been taking out with the net, but some are falling to the floor.

18ft AG round 54" high. It will eventually be piped to a cartridge filter 200sf with 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. Hard piped 2" pvc. Pool Pilot Total Control with acid feeder/pump.

Question #1: How the heck do you get leaves off the floor with the net? Oh wait, you have to go INTO the pool for that? Seriously.

I was planning on waiting to see how things go to get a pool rover junior from Costco, but maybe I should just get the sucker and put him in there.

Question #2: Could I conceivably avoid getting one with this setup and a little elbow grease? (Please note my username before answering)

I haven't tested the water yet. I was sort of waiting for the pool to be completed. I do have the TF100 test kit. Should I break her in? Remember, the water level is still under the return line and I have no circulation in the pool because there is no piping or pump installed.

It looked GREAT for a week, but now it's getting... ummm... dirty! I'm getting a little worried now.

I'm a couple minutes away from Lowes where they have salt and muriatic acid. I will be attempting the BBB method. So I need to pick up some baking soda and borax as well.

Thanks for reading.

I'm not cut out for this stuff. I hope things change. I'd hate to get a pool guy. Where's my ROVER!? lol

**Edit** Oh yeah, it's been raining a lot this week as well. Not sure if that changes things. It DID increase the water height. Woohoo, my water bill will be lower!

Hi Lazyman,

I suggest you circulate your water somehow, perhaps by brushing the pool, and test your water.

A week is a long time not knowing what is going on! Wait too long and you will have a green pond to clear :grrrr:

You need to go shopping! :lol: Here's a list that might help:

Leaf Rake: (Like Ted said), but I also suggest you get the higher quality w/the finer net. It will pick up and hold the tiniest paricles.

Telescopic Pole: Again, get a good quality so that it does not bend too much or break

Pool Brush: Nylon

Bleach/liquid chlorine, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid, salt

Others will chime in w/their ideas.

So, post back your test results :-D

You need to get some chlorine in your pool....sooner rather than later.

Posting a set of test results will get you some good advice on whether or not you need anything else.

Keeping on top of your pool water by doing a little each day is the best way to maintain your water or, of course, hiring a pool guy. :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone. It was supposed to be nice weather all weekend here in NJ, but it's raining pretty badly now. Not sure what's going on with thee weather lately.

I have mostly all of the stuff on that list above. All of it came with the "pool package" when I bought the pool. I may have to get the leaf skimmer though. That's about it. Yes, I see how the cheaper regular skimmer bends with any bit of force applied.

I'll post my results when I get them. Trying to read the instructions with the TF100 kit. So many bottles and tubes and thingies!!! lol

thanks again.

OK I got some test results. I only circulated the water with aeration by placing the hose with the water filling the pool some more. It's almost all the way to the top, but it's supposed to rain more the next few days. Not sure if I should top it off.

So, here are the initial abbreviated results. TF100 (blue test kit)

Cl < .5ppm
Br <1ppm
Ph 7.3
Salt .8ppm

Roughly 7600 gallons. Just a guess at this point.

*Runs out the door with 2 jugs of bleach...*

Lazyman said:
Hopefully all pools "sit", but mine was actually not being treated either. So, it was filled to just under the return opening and left there for a week now. It may be finished in a few days. Not sure really. Leaves are accumilating in it that I've been taking out with the net, but some are falling to the floor.

18ft AG round 54" high. It will eventually be piped to a cartridge filter 200sf with 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. Hard piped 2" pvc. Pool Pilot Total Control with acid feeder/pump.
Guess I have to ask the question that everyone else avoided.
Why in the world did you fill your pool before having all the plumbing hooked up? I would work on getting it running ASAP!

Because I'm a newb...

My contractor had to finish certain aspects of the job before the deck of the pool could go up, then the plumbing could be done. Long story short... he took longer than expected.

So, now I have 3 bags of 40 pound salt ready to go. Bleach is in the pool (3 gallons). When can I take another test after the bleach is poured? Is tomorrow too soon? Right now I'm aerating with a garden hose.

If I test chlorine tomorrow, can I add the recommended salt even though the swg AND the pump isn't running yet? Pump should go on soon. Very soon.

You can add the salt. You obviously have the test strips, as you gave a salt result, you don't want to overshoot the salt, it can only be lowered by draining and refilling - so add ~ 3/4 what you think you need and wait a day, with the pool circulating, test again and add the appropriate amount to get you to optimal salinity for your unit (keep note of how much a given amount of salt raises your salt ppm - then you'll know that "50 lbs of salt raises the salinity 800 ppm in your pool" it'll make future additions much more easy 8) Also don't forget the cya :hammer: - 1 lb per 50 lb bag of salt should get you to your target level of 60 -80 ppm, use this as a start and adjust as needed, then, whenever you have to add salt you know how much cya to add :)

Sounds like you are all set to properly care for the pool once all the plumbing is finished :goodjob: :party:

Here are some more results. I think I have all of them.

Here is my dilemma. Parts won't come for the swg until Tuesday or Wednesday. Should I just disconnect the swg and run the pump separately for now, until then? I think the answer is yes.

Question: Can I run the pump in the rain? It's raining just about every single day here in rainy NEW JERSEY!!! What the heck is going on? Rain expected until at least Monday. I have to drain some pool water.

FC 2.5
CC 2
TC 4.5
TA 70
PH 7.4
Bromine .8

I tried looking for CYA and there were many different kinds of it. Is there a specific name I should be looking for in my application?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Paul. I had trouble with the "Dichlor", "Trichlor" products that were out there. I see that they are not what I wanted.

I also forgot about the CYA test. It didn't register anything that I could gauge. I filled the tube all the way up and I still saw the black dot.

I will add CYA as prescribed on the instructions, as I don't have salt in the pool yet.

Nightmare! Thanks again to all.

Don't follow the instructions.

Put the CYA in a sock and either hang the sock in front of the return flow or set it to the side in the skimmer. You can easily do about 2 lbs in a sock at a time (not sure how much you need to add). Keep the pump running while the CYA dissolves and for a full 24 hours after. Don't retest it for 5-6 days or you'll just waste reagent.

It's only been 4 days since I added stabilizer, but I couldn't resist testing again. I really need the practice, as well.

Here are some new numbers.

PH 7.2
FC 11
CC 0 or 1(?) Not sure what happened there.
TA 80
CYA 46

Pump is running and using bleach instead of swg. I might throw in the suggested amount of salt just to have it in there circulating before the swg starts up. Yes? No?

I'll wait a couple of days for the CYA test again. It seems to have went up a good amount. I put in 2 pounds, 4 days ago.

Can we go into the pool anytime soon?

Lazyman said:
Pump is running and using bleach instead of swg. I might throw in the suggested amount of salt just to have it in there circulating before the swg starts up. Yes? No?
Make sure you test your water for salt before you add any. You can add the salt at any time.

Your water needs to be balanced for the SWG before you crank it up. Have you read Water Balance for SWGs?

Lazyman said:
It's only been 4 days since I added stabilizer, but I couldn't resist testing again. I really need the practice, as well.
I am sure that is music to duraleigh's (Dave's) ears :mrgreen:

btw, did you jump in today? How was the water :-D

Wow! GREAT!

I can't believe the day is finally here~ The kids and wife think it's a few days away until swim time. They'll have a nice surprise when I tell them it's finally time. Thank you!

I have read Water Balance for SWGs, but I need to read all the stuff a few more times to have it stick in my head. I'm having a little trouble with this stuff, but I'll get it sooner or later.

When the swg starts running, I'll have an easier time of it. I want to learn one system and keep it running smoothly. SWG + BBB. Thanks again.

Oh yes, I'll check the salt already in the pool before adding the recommended amount for the swg. Thanks.

*Edit* No, I haven't jumped in yet. I actually am not a fan of the water anyway. lol Maybe that will change with this pool. Who knows. It's really for the kids and wife. I'll have to go in for the 3 and 7 year old to swim. So, I will be in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.