do you always shower and wash your hair after swimming?

It probably won't hurt as much as not rinsing BEFORE you enter the pool! :hammer:

We're talking 2 different things here - what I'm suggesting will help the pool while you want to know if swimming in the pool will necessitate bathing after getting out of the pool. If your chlorine is properly matched to your cya and the other chem levels are in line - you're fine to wait until you would normally bathe. If, for some reason, the chlorine level was on the high side, I'd -at least- rinse myself after swimming :)

In summer I use a small amount of almond castill (sp?) soap as my bath and hair wash once or so a week. (I do take showers inside too but unless I'm going somewhere "important" a good scrub or dip in the pool is enough to keep from stinking and fast. :lol: ) Hasn't caused any problems ever to me or pool. Probably less "personal products" than most people drag into pool even if they "sprinkle" off before entering. I thought that's what a pool is for in summer. :lol: I, also, use the pool, in summer, to cool off when working outside, lots. I certainly don't introduce any more gunk than the dogs, who, by the way, don't use "personal products". In summer I always have on some sun protection and bug repellents and reapply the repellents after a dunk. I do all of the outside (and inside) maintenance, except for mowing, so I'm outside a lot. We've never had any scum around the tile. Okay, I do use deodorant, face cream and lip gloss all the time, but that's about it. More dirt and silt blow into the pool than I could ever deposit from my body.

We exfoliate in the spa year round and do change out the filter often, 2-3 times a week, plus a floating scum collector.

My hair is a combo of mostly natural, light blond with some white. It doesn't bleach out either. I have a hat on, outside, and sweat band, except when in pool. Even when we used ionization my hair never turned green from copper.

gg=alice

my2kidsmom said:
Just curious. What would it hurt to skip every now and then?

It probably depends on what hair products you depend on and how they react with the pool water and the condition of the water. Also, you could have some bleaching out if you use hair dye or colored rinses. When I was a kid, most of my friends who had lightening of their hair from sun, to a much lighter blond than normal, usually got some green tinting of their hair at our public pool, but not at the country club pool. :? We always rinsed off after swimming at the public pool but I don't remember doing it at the CC.

My sisters and I all had naturally light blond hair but we never got the green.

I actually refresh my hair and scalp in the ozone bubbles in the spa. The only products I use on my hair are a little bit of gel for some texture after washing hair in shower and a bit of conditioner but I have to double/triple rinse shampoo and rinse because of being so sensitive and getting breakouts from my hair touching my face. I use Aveda products. The gel, after a real shampoo, in combination with the ozone massage give my very fine hair a little bit more texture too. BTW... in spa, I do my hair before exfoliating. :mrgreen:

Consider that many municipal water districts chlorinate their water. So showering or bathing is not that different than using a pool; if anything, the chlorine in tap water without CYA would react faster with your hair than that of pool water. On the other hand, when using a pool one often sits out in the sun to dry off and in that situation the water evaporates concentrating the chemicals in that water. So the chlorine can become more concentrated and therefore react to oxidize skin, swimsuits and hair more rapidly. This effect is reduced if you use a towel to dry off most of the bulk water.

My wife swims every day and takes a shower to rinse off afterwards and uses a shampoo with reducing agents to remove chlorine (and monochloramine which is what is now in our tap water). This seems to keep her hair in good shape.

Richard

mitch08 said:
Sometimes I use swimming as my shower. ROFL!!!
I do, but rarely. However I think most kids would find your statement unsurprising and a bit redundant: Pool=bath=shower=playtime... and for some, =Pee-or-Poop=When papa's not looking :evil:

Outside of short-term pollution from a swarm of kids, unruly adults or canines, I can't imagine a better environment for getting clean. All of that hypochlorous acid and oxygen churning against the body, disinfecting and oxidizing, killing bacteria and viruses and any number of other microscopic meanies living on our skin and in our hair. Who needs deoderant and shampoo after swimming? Of course, I suppose it goes without saying that some of the beneficial symbiotic microorganisms (localized colonies of bacteria) count up their dead and make an effort to regroup (re-multiply?) after their human host takes a jaunt in what for us is a pristine and unconfined aquafer, and for them, a hellish toxic soup.

I'm not really sure how our hair follicles cope with the chemicals in our pools, but my interest in this topic has receded over the decades. :cry:

chem geek said:
Consider that many municipal water districts chlorinate their water. So showering or bathing is not that different than using a pool; if anything, the chlorine in tap water without CYA would react faster with your hair than that of pool water. Richard

Ever seen the commercials on TV about clothes washing detergents that help to protect dark colors from "beaching out" in unfiltered municipal tap water? I use those for DH's dark work shirts he wears as part of his scrubs and other darks. Before I started using the "color guard" they would lighten significantly in less than a year of washing. But you still have the "bleaching" substance in the rinse water. There are liquid fabric softeners that help with the "bleaching" also, one of the the Downy products. Downy® TOTALCARE™ is one that "helps protect colors". I have to use the Ultra Downy® Free & Sensitive Liquid because of dye and fragrance sensitivity though.

Also, there are lots of filters, for tub and shower water to filter out chlorine.We used those mainly because our water dried us out so much, a whole lot more than any other place we bathed while visiting or traveling. Once our water changed, a few years ago, we haven't needed them though. Before the water change, also, I had loads of trouble maintaining the pH in our pool. I do lots of backwashing (once per week but now more with new puppies), and have significant evaporation from our intense heat and sun, so I use a lot of tap water for refills. Another thing our tap water did, before the change, was to corrode brass fittings, spigots, etc., really fast.

I haven't noticed it in past few years (since water "change") but in winter, filling the dog buckets, there would be a significant "chlorine" smell when I was filling the buckets. My pool never smells like chlorine, so far, in normal circumstances nor did the spa except while adding the chlorine and just for a few minutes. I'm a recent convert to BBB in pool (and spa before changing to Bromine last week). I don't plan on ever having to shock the pool again. Well, not if I can help it. :wink:

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.