Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Everybody has their own ideas, For us the family time we have while preparing the meal is golden.

Probably will this year only because I started defrosting the turkey in time. Sometimes I brine; other times I do not out of sheer laziness. The turkey usually turns out pretty darn moist either way.

- Flappy

This is why I went with the Traeger 2 years ago. I would find myself getting more and more lazy with preparing the meat. We have never brined though and we are going to try it this year.

I'll have to swing by Safeway and see if they have any good looking jalapeno peppers and then give the ABTs a try.... :thumleft:
While over-priced and not good as homemade, some Bashas carry ABTs in the butcher section. They use plain ol' cream cheese and thick-cut bacon (harder to crisp up without over cooking the pepper) but I've used them in a pinch. Still crowd pleasers.

Definitely give ABTs a try but be forewarned - they're addictive!

Pre-Turkey Day Meal - Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon :chef:

We figured that the next few days will be laden with fowl, so we decided a good helping of cow was in order -

Prep’d

24C5D971-66E3-4296-8AF6-2FD218FA870E.jpg

Cooked

343444D3-B31B-4AD4-9137-B3C4D2DE6130.jpg

It’s nice feeling when you can prep and cook five of those bad-boys (using Costco, and those are Prime USDA cuts of filet) for what half of one of them would cost at a premium steakhouse.

I thoroughly enjoy this thread, thanks for everybody’s fantastic pictures, and recommendations. I want to wish everybody here a blessed Thanksgiving. I hope you all have a great day with your family’s and stay safe. Truly a great group of people here.

IMG_8753.jpg
Ike and Tina brining together ( Dw always names the birds[emoji2]) Ike is 19.57 lbs and Tina is 13.33 lbs. Ike will soon be going to the spa to be rubbed down with home made garlic herb butter and be popped into the oven to bake to a golden brown. Tina will get Cajun creole butter injectate and go to the infrared cooker. [emoji884]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dae18432d6131ce1703930d16c6dbba2.jpg
de19e1fd048dfdf3cd4177746127f53b.jpg
fa4bb5a2507426a2cb3c8cb426e391f5.jpg

Prime rib roast, the bone was for me!!

Rib Prep -

F81CEBF4-3068-4924-BC7F-9F5AA4E2AD4B.jpg

10 lbs of St. Louis style ribs. Membranes removed & trimmed. Used Meathead’s rib rub and will do a nice low & slow 3 hr smoke tomorrow. They’ll be finished off with a sweet apple juice / maple syrup glaze.

Mmmmmmmm....piggie pops......

Ribs!

After 3 hours of smoke:

004F23B3-B3BA-4BCC-ADCD-55E1371526DA.jpg

And Done:

33CC5033-AE81-4663-B864-2CEB2036CD09.jpg

Details -
10lbs of St. Louis style ribs
Dry rubbed with MeatHead's Memphis Dust 24 hours prior
3 hours at 230F with 1 hour of smoke (50/50 mix of peach and maple wood chips)
1 hour in a foil crutch
1 additional hour at 230F with no smoke
Returned rib slabs to searing hot flame (I love how easily I can go from LOW to BLAZIN' HOT with my BGE Smoker!!) and glazed with a reduction of Apple Juice and Maple syrup

Full Recipe ---> HERE

Solid Bark - CHECK!
Smoke ring - CHECK!
Tender & Juicy - CHECK!
Sticky sweet fingers - CHECK!

I consumed an entire slab of ribs myself.....mmmmmmmmmm.....

IMG_8806.jpg
Spent the last few days putting up 4 Christmas trees and decorating the house and outside lights. Time to take break. Hey Matt this is really tasty even the wifey likes it [emoji482]

If you like the Sierra Nevada Winter pack, try the Sam Adams Winter pack. It has a chocolate bock in it that is really smooth. I think you’ll like it better than the SV Coffee Stout. Also, the Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale is nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.