issue with pressure

Oct 29, 2015
Houston
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone could help here before I call in a tech. So, the other day, i noticed that my pressure was higher than normal since it was sitting around 20 psi. When I first had the pool installed back in July 2016, I took a picture of the gauge and it was sitting at 14 when the pool school guy was showing me how everything worked. Since then, I''ve cleaned the cartridge about 3 times but I usually didn't wait until it got this high. So anyways, I cleaned it and put it back in but the pressure didn't go down. At the same time, I noticed the basket at my pump didn't fill up all the way, it kept churning near the top but never completely filled. Another thing that was odd was that the initial pressure just started off at 20 before I closed off the valve, it's not like it rose slowly or anything.

I did find out that when I turned off the skimmer, the pressure dropped a little so I took a look at the actual skimmer and realized that the suction seemed to be a little weak. I then turned off the pump, released the air valve and took everything apart again and recleaned the filter, the skimmer basket and the pump basket. After putting it back again, the pump basket fills up all the way with no issue BUT the pressure now is at 11 which was lower than when everything was new. Should I be concerned? Everything seems normal now but with the decreased pressure, i'm a little worried.

Thanks!

Chunky,

(Not often can you call someone that without getting into trouble)... :p

Welcome to TFP...

I think you are fine. A low filter pressure is not normally a cause for concern unless the water flowing back to your pool and coming out of the eyeballs is low. As long as you can feel good flow returning to your pool and the pump does have a lot of air under the lid, I would not be concerned.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks! I figured as much. At least with low pressure, there's no concerns of anything blowing up in my face!

Chunky,

(Not often can you call someone that without getting into trouble)... :p

Welcome to TFP...

I think you are fine. A low filter pressure is not normally a cause for concern unless the water flowing back to your pool and coming out of the eyeballs is low. As long as you can feel good flow returning to your pool and the pump does have a lot of air under the lid, I would not be concerned.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.