Replacing Pump Motor - Sta Rite - Dissasembly of impeller?

MJCP

Sep 14, 2007
Michigan
I read here I should replace my motor when I could no longer tolerate the noise!
Well I guess I have a pretty High tolerance since I ordered the new motor yesterday, and Today the old one seized up for good. Grin!

I'm killing the afternoon Getting the old one apart and ready for the new motor but I hit a snag,
everything else was easy but I'm stumped on how to get the impeller apart from the motor?

I have the entire motor on my bench, wires disconnected from inside the motor, located and observed the correct Low and High voltage jumper position. Removed the motor from the base, removed the impeller cover, now I can't seem to figure out whether I just pry the impeller off, or screw it off?

Any help would be appreciated!

PS I bought an exact replacement AO SMith USQ1102

KUDOS to CSH Incorporated
I ordered the pump yesterday afternoon and it arrived Just now! 24 Hours later!
Darn Good Service!!!!
(Note: I live in the same state as CSH, I'll bet they won't gaurantee that kind of service all the time)

The new motor has threads on the end so I will Assume I can unscrew the impeller!
Let me know if anyone knows an easy way to do that without damaging the impeller.
Thanks

I don't do many USQ motors, most of ours are Hayward. I believe that if you remove the cap from the back of the motor you can lock the shaft with a screwdriver - the Hayward motors require you to remove the endcap and lock onto the shaft with a 7/16 or 1/2" open end wrench - the shaft is notched to receive it.

I HOPE you got a new shaft seal assembly for the new motor - these things don't like being changed to a new motor and will most often leak after the impeller is removed and replaced on a new motor :(

If you have any more questions on doing this, simply ask and we'll get you all set :goodjob:

USQ motors and ST motors, impellers are taken off of them the same way.

Right above the capacitor on the rear of the motor is a space between the wires that's big enough to slide in a 7/16 wrench, open end of course, spin the impeller until the wrench locks down on the shaft. Once it's locked down, spin the impeller counter-clockwise until it comes off.

Once it's removed, take the seal plate off the motor with a 9/16 wrench. Inspect the back end for cracks, and make sure you remove any debris and little critters. (I did one Tuesday and a scorpion crawled out onto my hand, freaked me out lol)

You'll need a new shaft seal as waste mentioned above. It should be a PSR-200 if it's the new model seal plate, C203-193P. If it's the old style, pre-1998 like a C103-198P, then you'll need a copper heat sink and a PSR-100 shaft seal. You'll find all of this out as soon as you remove the impeller and seals.

Do everything in reverse order to re-assemble.

So Far so good,
Yes I did get a "GO KIT" which included a shaft seal assembly.

Note to others doing this - one part of the seal assembly needs to be fit into the housing before trying to attach the housing to the motor.

My motor was seized up so I was able to unscrew the impeller without the aid of the wrench, I will need it for tightening to the new motor though.

The toughest part is attaching the new water tight electrical whip, tight quarters.

I'm quitting for the night "Mosquitos" guessing I'll be finished soon though reassembly is always easier with new parts.

Thanks to you both for the help,

Again my advice - stick with the exact replacement motor, everything goes back together properly. If you want to get a more efficient or stronger motor, go ahead and get a new pump with the correctly sized Motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.