Anybody have solar heat in iowa?

Oct 27, 2014
Iowa
Looking for options to heat my pool indoor / inground gunite pool in Iowa. I've been looking at two options linked to solar. One option is a solar pool heater but how well would that work in the early spring and late fall months in Iowa and I don't like the idea of pumping water onto the roof. The other option I've been thinking about is installing a Coates electric pool heater and then installing a grid tie solar array to offset the energy use of the heater and the pump.. I'd like some feedback or other options.

Thanks

Pool solar will work, but the problem is it isn't very good with cool air temperatures.

I'd certainly go with a heat pump over a straight electric heater if you are only interested in spring through fall.

From my past experience I would recommend putting coils in the shell of the pool and putting a gas water heater on it. Depending on the gallons you are trying to heat it would take probably 10 of them to be able to heat the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.