algae problem - getting really frustrated

jlj

Jun 12, 2009
Minnesota
Hello!
I am fighting algae, have read all you have here. my numbers:

ph 7.4
alk 117
cya 20 (i know its low, i'm working on it)
fc over 10 ppm

i have been superchlorinating since thur, 15,000 gal pool, so using 2 gal liq chlorine at night. water was getting blue and cloudy, but everytime i vacumn and brush, it gets greenish again so i am not getting it all. what am i doing wrong, or do i just need to keep at it?

thanks!
jlj

jlj said:
i have been superchlorinating since thur
You mean yesterday? I don't guess it matters, the answer is, "Yes, keep going". It can take a while. Keep scrubbing and vacuuming. Backwash or clean the carts when required.

Some more information like what kind of pool you have, how you are testing, what your CH is, etc. will help some of the experienced members give you more advice.

Be patient and persistent! Good luck!

Welcome to TFP!!

What you need is a little POP (Pool Owner Patience :wink: ) It takes time for a pool to become overrun by algae, and time to safely reclaim the pool. Unfortunately, there is no magic chemical that will clear the pool in one dose :(

You need to keep the chlorine at shock level for your cya (see the link in my sig) and be persistent and consistent about holding it there :!: Remember to brush the pool so that you are exposing the algae to the chlorine you are adding and get any large organic debris out of the pool ASAP so it doesn't add to the chlorine demand.

Please keep us informed as to your progress and ask us any questions you have :-D

thanks for your responses. i have an above ground pool, vinyl liner, my ch? last time i got it tested it was a little high, but not out of control. i will continue on with my efforts for sure, just wondering if i was on the right track, i have been at this one week, i was not clear when i started in my previous email, i have been using the basic test kit strips, been maintaining a high fc level, dump 2 gal pool chlorine in each night (should it be more?) brush the walls, vacumn when i can to waste, sock full of cya in the skimmer. just keep going huh? i will get there? i have my doubts, but, wanting to actually enjoy the pool this summer i will keep going. please let me know if there is anything i am not doing correct????? ty!!!!

I would highly recomemnd the TF Testkit if you dont already have it, it is very difficult to know where your FC levels are at using any other kit besides the k-2006 or TF Testkit. I am going through that journey now and I bit the bullet and bought the TF Testkit and what a difference. Keep it up and you will succeed.

jlj said:
thanks for your responses. i have an above ground pool, vinyl liner, my ch? last time i got it tested it was a little high, but not out of control. i will continue on with my efforts for sure, just wondering if i was on the right track, i have been at this one week, i was not clear when i started in my previous email, i have been using the basic test kit strips, been maintaining a high fc level, dump 2 gal pool chlorine in each night (should it be more?) brush the walls, vacumn when i can to waste, sock full of cya in the skimmer. just keep going huh? i will get there? i have my doubts, but, wanting to actually enjoy the pool this summer i will keep going. please let me know if there is anything i am not doing correct????? ty!!!!
As suggested, the FAS DPD test will help you a lot. When I got my k 2006, I compared its results to the strips and the strips were indicating about 10ppm less FC. My pool had been radioactive with chlorine. Some people report the opposite - the strips show they are at shock and the FAS DPD shows 1 or 2 ppm FC. The OTO test was accurate, but I couldn't distinguish FC from CC and it only went to 5ppm.

Turning a swamp into a pool can really try your patience. I just recently got my pool swimmable for the first time. It took me about a month, but when I bought my house, the pool had been neglected for a long time - I'm guessing about 2 seasons based on the amount of leaves I pulled off the bottom. It probably won't take you nearly as long.

Keep it up, keep reading, be patient, and be persistent. Good luck!

Get to know the Pool Calculator, test your water, plug in your gallons, and your current FC (and other) test results and hit calculate, and it tells you how many jugs to add. Without knowing the % strength chlorine you are using, we don't know if 2 jugs is enough or not.

You can add your pool specs/equip to your Sig. Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

I'll add that you need to maintain circulation 24/7 while clearing the algae, and watch your filter presure and backwash/clean fiters/bump (all depending on filtration system).

You're doing everything right as far as adding bleach only.

You need a good reliable test kit as mentioned above! The TF-100 get's you more regants and FAST shipping! :super: If you order right now, it'll be shipped today!

You also need to brush the pool and keep a consistant shock level as mentioned by waste!

Please add your location and pool specs by using the User Control Panel at the top left of the screen under the TFP logo so we know what you have and where you are without asking you every time you need advice.

Good news, my once pea green water is now the most beautiful color blue and very cloudy. So by next weekend, I think we will actually be swimming! Thanks for the advice and the great website - will post a pic when i get a chance!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.