Hayward Ecostar 3400SVP pump Drive Error

I believe you can set the startup speed lower as well, correct?

One other thing I forgot ask was about the plumbing. If the pump is operating far to the right on the head curve, it will be drawing much more power so if failures are occurring more on larger plumbing with lower head loss, then that could also be a factor.

Of course, surge protection is also a factor.

I'll have to check on the prime speed settings. I don't remember what can be adjusted for that.

Good point about the pump curve. Somewhere I took rpm vs power reading for the various conditions to estimate power consumption and see were it was in the curve. I'll see if I can find that data as well.

I have the dreaded drive error on a pool pump.

I called Hayward they said I have to call a local warranty center who they say will then come to the pool and check it out and warranty it if still under warranty. Pump is less than 3 years old. This is ridiculous. This pool has a second pump for the jacuzzi. That one is still working, but looks like it is an expensive fix if out of warranty.

Mark,

MY ecostar was set at [3240 prime] spd 1: 2550rpm, 2;1250, 3:1750 4: 1150

Most of my cratering has been when it's in speed 2 at 1250 rpms, and it's been running like that for hours before breaker trips or pump stall error...I'm on my 3rd pump in 3.2 yrs and over 3-4 diff controllers too. My neighbor next to me on the same electrical leg has a Hayward single speed that's 7 yrs old...only one small issue since installed,...that should speak volumes that the ecostar is ecostarless...

This pump's controller not only had bad chips. but also had a bad overall design, so even if you replaced the chips, the way they were designed had many points of failure. Yes it's good that Hayward extends the warranty, but it's bad that you have to endure yrs of issues and the thought of owning a 6-10 yr ecostar is like expecting the Fed Gov't to reduce our Fed Income Tax to 2%...just isn't going to happen...

Not sure where you folks are seeing a 4 year warranty. In speaking with two different ppl at Hayward, emailing with a third, and speaking with two authorized service centers ALL of them indicate it's a 3 year warranty. Fortunately, I'm still within the 3 years.

Unfortunate that a pool pump doesn't last 3 years. Not looking forward to replacing it again in the future once out of warranty. I have a second eco star pump on the spa, I wonder when that one will go bad.

Garden,

there's a Hayward rep on here that says to PM him and has been gracious enough to do warranty wk up to 4 yrs...He'll be ready for St Hood before too long.

I surely don't envy you w 2 3400's...I would buy one of those home warranty plans right at 3 yrs for just your 2 pumps...man, you should be living in Las Vegas bc I guess you really like to gamble. :p

I'm actually not too fond of gambling. I don't think 3 yrs ago there was much information that buying the top of the line Hayward pool pump was a gamble.

Seeing as I also have the omnilogic system controller, it becomes a challenge to switch to something else.

Home warranty isn't a bad idea as problematic as they may be. I'll have to see what that runs.

And yes, automation has some benefits, but I think it completely stifles competition. Anyone that can come up w a program or app that can allow other intelligent equipment to work on someone else's automation platform will never have to work again...sign me up if you do...

I had a single speed Tristar installed in 2007 and it was running perfectly when I replaced it last summer with a variable speed Tristar ($400 rebate from the Hydro company made it hard to refuse). I've looked at the manual and wiring for the Tristar and the Ecostar and they are completely different. I also think the recent VS Tristar has been improved over the earlier VS Tristar. Hopefully, my VS Tristar lasts as long as my single speed Tristar (which I have stored away as a backup, just in case).

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I have mine set up as 'relay' control rather than using the timers. This way when the system is just 'on' it runs at a slow speed, but when my solar system turns on, it automatically increases the speed of the pump (to whatever I have that speed set for in the 'speeds' menu) and decreases when the call for solar ends. Same set up with my laminar jets when I turn them on, and I had one extra relay in my system that I used to increase speed when using my cleaner.

I also see (reading the Tristar Technical Guide and the Ecostar Technical Guide, that the Tristar has DC voltage too high and too low messages but the Ecostar has AC too high and too low messages. Does the fact that one is using DC and the other AC make any difference?

I'll definitely update if I have any problems with the Tristar. The only thing I've noticed so far is if I cycle the pump on and off too fast (when switching from Service mode to Auto mode in my Jandy panel) I get a 'DC Voltage too low' message. I think the key here (and probably good practice anyway) would be to turn the pump off first before switching from Service mode back to Auto mode.

For those with Ecostar problems, maybe you can get Hayward to replace the entire unit with a Tristar?

The technical guides are here (and look to be a bit more detailed than the owner's / installation manuals.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjnmb-Y3ZXaAhXLIMAKHS5hAp0QFggxMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.artisticpoolandspa.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F01%2FEcoStar-Technical-Guide-2.56-1.01.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Axp7NWKJZUwNasLTvE2qT

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjqvMOJ3ZXaAhUFKsAKHWbhDKYQFggnMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hayward-pool.ca%2Fassets%2Fdocuments%2Fpools%2Fpdf%2Fmanuals%2F2014-TriStar-VS-TSG.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3kze7k1R-dulZH3jXuVVqF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would be curious to hear from others as well.

My drive failed in early January of this year. It was installed in April 2014.

The highest scheduled run speed is 60% for skimming and a pressure side cleaner and that was typically two 1.5 hour cycles per day in summer.
I have a demand speed of 80% for a slide. Once activated It runs for 2 hours unless you turn it off manually.
Typical filter speed is 25 or 30 percent and runs up to 12 hours in summer. (As required for SWG and Cl demand)
I don't know exactly when the drive failed but I assume at a startup from stopped. The pump does run at 100% for 3 minutes to prime if it wasn't running prior.
In winter, I typically only run the skim/cleaner cycles after water temperature is below 50. Prior to the drive failure, I never winterized the pool. The automation system will run freezer protect (60%speed) in freezing temperatures. I cover the pump, filter, etc with tarps and heater if there is extended cold.

I was contacted within a couple days by John at Hayward. My pump had been installed four years earlier and, so, was out of warranty. After providing my S/N and address, John sent an e-mail indicating that Hayward was sending me a new pump (with new electronics that should minimize problems) FOR FREE. I will install it myself, but I suspect they would require anyone looking to use an installer to pick up that cost themselves. The good news is everything is plumbed already, so the cost of having a professional do the work should be minimal.

I have the exact same issue. I am getting the pump stall error from my Hayward VSP too and it is probably 2-3 months outside 4 year warranty window. It is so frustrating when you spend so much money on technology and you have so many problems. I will see what kind of response I will get from Hayward, I am still hopeful. I already tried to do the few things that some folks had recommended (turn power off from breaker and restart, checked to see that the pump seems to be freely moving etc.) but no luck. Did you contact Hayward through their website?

I have the same problem, "Drive Error: Pump has stalled". When I reset I can hear the pump try and engage briefly, then ... nothing". Hayward EcoStar SP3400 VSP. I'll try and PM Hayward on this too. My purchase date is April 2015. Hoping for the best! [Fingers crossed since how long can you go without pump working in the Fall in Phoenix? It's still 107F here .. yikes! I figured when I ponied up over $1K for my fancy variable speed pump it wouldn't exhibit what others have reported, like a funky PCB board? Well, no judgment at this point.

Update: Called Hayward after no response to email. Got "we're experiencing a high number of calls .." message and was on hold so long I finally gave up. Went to the Hayward support site and filled in the email form there. Received an immediate ack with a Hayward Case Tracking Number.

Went to see my Pool Shop people and was told Hayward had major problems with the Ecostar. They thought I would at least get a free replacement on the drive, but not the labor to install it. Finally got Hayward on the phone and the guy was great, he located my form email via the Tracking Number, and then sent me another form to fill out and forward to the dispatcher for Arizona. That lady assured me I'd be taken care of, but it was on a Friday and I'd have to wait until Monday for the repair folks.

Sure enough, early Mon AM I was texted, guy showed up midday, replaced the drive and charged me $120 for the labor. I'm pretty happy overall, thank God for this forum! Also, the things said about the revived Ecostar .. more noise and more ooomph are true. This thing lives more in Turbo Mode in each RPM setting. On 3250 RPM my aerator was practically reaching my chaise lounges on the other side of the pool! LOL.

Last edited:
As John Wayne would say, "good luck Pilgrim".

Pour your bleach in many diff places and double the dose..then take your pole and push the brush on and go brush your pool for 25-30 minutes...

It's been 2 days have you heard anything from Hayward? Hopefully he's not vacationing in NC at the moment...good luck to all TFP folks in NC, SC & Virginia

I was fortunate my two motors that went bad were under warranty. I'm not excited to see what happens in another 3 yrs.

Funny how my old pool motor lasted 15 yrs.

I bought into the whole Hayward system...controller, heater, etc. The controller is the big thing. Makes it difficult to move to another brand of pump/motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.