Glass Tile Options - Where to buy?

Jan 13, 2017
El Paso, TX
Hi everyone. I have been lurking around here for a while and learning a lot, but his is my first post - I hope that it is in the correct section. Please forgive me if it is not.

I live in west Texas, so in the summer it's dry and can get in the mid 100s. In the winter it can freeze and snow (rarely). I have an in ground plaster pool with spa. I need to have the plaster redone as it is 17 years old and starting to chip in some spots. I have old ceramic tile at the waterline, and would like to replace it with 1x1 glass tile. I can't believe how hard it is to find good quality glass pool tile. I have read everything that I can find here and wherever else I can about glass pool tile.

From my readings, I know that NPT and Lightstream carry quality pool tile. I called NPT in Tempe and spoke with the owner. I don't think that he knew what he was talking about, as I asked for 1x1" tile that does NOT have a mesh backing, and he said that he recommends the mesh backing tile because it is easier to install. I told him about the tiles popping off due to lack of full contact, and he said that does not happen with mesh backing, etc. So, that left a bad taste in my mouth because it goes against everything that I have read. I called Lightstream, and they guy was very helpful. All of their tiles have a clear front, no mesh backing. He is sending samples over this week. The issue is cost - they are charging $40/sq ft. I was hoping to pay about $25/sq ft or so. I have seen glass pool tile for $10/sq ft., but I am guessing at that price it is probably poorly made. I don't want to install something cheap and have it break in 2 years, but then again, I don't want to be gouged.

I would like to get moving on the tile within the next 2-3 months before it heats up here. Any good quality store recommendations would be very helpful. I can pick it up from the Phoenix area, and possibly Los Angeles (that is pushing it), but anything further would need to be shipped. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The reason the Lightstream costs so much is it is made right there to order. It also takes a long time to get for that reason. They do beautiful work!

The guy you talked to is correct. The tile with the mesh backing is much easier to install as it does not need to be placed one at a time with spacers. It can be done wrong if the installer does not take their time and use care. That is true for every tile. It is all on the installer and their skills.

So who will be installing your tile?

Did you know that some of the tile at Lowes and such can be used in pools?? You have to do some checking and reading but......

Kim:kim:

Thank you for your input.

In regards to glass tiles, I thought the 2 main issues are the tiles popping off and thermal stress causing cracking. I know that a mesh back is easier to install, but some companies (like Lightstream) do not have a mesh back, they have a clear front. This way you can lay out a 1x1' section at a time without individual spacers. It was my understanding that this is the preferred layout - no mesh back. I have read that even if the mesh back tiles are installed "correctly" the mesh still takes surface area away from the tile adhering correctly to the pool shell. In regards to the thermal stress, it was also my understanding that the way the tile is constructed can have a major impact on thermal stress and cracking. Of course correct installation also plays a big role. I was looking for tile that is made with a clear face and one that is constructed well to minimize thermal stress. I know that Lowers sells pool tiles, but I am unsure about the quality.

The pool will be done by a high end tile guy here. He has done mostly ceramic, but has done some glass tile pools as well. When I interviewed these people, I asked about the process to install glass tile. A few said it was the same as ceramic, so I crossed them off the list. This guy was one of the few that knew the process, etc.

I have read the special report article, but the READ Consulting was new to me and was good reading. The problem is that once I saw the glass tiles, I really don't want ceramic anymore :)

I was hoping that someone could point me to a tile manufacturer/seller that would have tile that has a paper/clear front on the 1x1' sheets and one that is not made cheaply so that it would resist thermal stress and fracture. I don't mind paying somewhat more for a good quality tile, but again $40/sq foot is a lot.

Thanks.

The tile itself is just a small part of the puzzle. Its the installer that will make the difference. You will be spending that $25.00 a sq ft for just him.
We do a ton of glass tile, with and without mesh. Not all mesh is created equal. Some are cheap, will stretch, glue will dissolve when wet, mesh can mold.
So don't believe all the hype on that. Just buy a quality product, not a cheap china glass.

Glass is much harder to do with paper, or plastic face, harder to get straight, smooth, ect. Can not do it when it is too warm or too cold.
If it is a quality glass it will have test reports, get one that is ok for freeze thaw and submerged.
You can get good glass from most quality tile stores.

If you are worried about thermal shock. Take a piece of the glass, put it in boiling water, then drop it in cold water, if it cracks easily you might have a cheap (recycled) glass.
The official test heats the glass to 293, and then into 59 degree. It gets hot in Texas, but I don't think that extreme will ever happen.

Oceanside glass tile has some awesome tile, it is where we get the majority of ours.
Welcome to Oceanside Glasstile

ALSO FOR ANYONE INSTALLING GLASS: Check out the "installation support" Install guide for pool and water features.. No better way to install it in a pool. Though it is a couple month process.
http://www.glasstile.com/pdf/installation-guide/Pool%20&%20Water%20Feature%20Installation.pdf
PS, NPT is owned by Pool corp, a huge company. You didn't talk to the owner:)

Our glass tile is NPT "Arctic Ice" 1x1 and it definitely did not have mesh backing- it had clear adhesive plastic on the front that you peel off after applying the tile to the pool. I am very happy with the tile. It comes in several colors and a 1x2 version.

lightstreams makes beautiful tile also but would have taken weeks so we opted for a tile that was readily available.

Just-a-PB...I read the install instructions you posted as I came across them a few weeks back prior to meeting with my installer. They seemed completely unrealistic. I understand you could tent the pool, but is this typical? He explained he has a method he's been using for a long time and never had any problems. He described using a water proof membrane along with different materials specifically for glass, so I decided he passed the test. I don't think I'm getting the quality of work it sounds like you do, but I'm wondering if you could comment on how closely you think those guidelines should be followed. Ex: do you think 2 layers of waterproofing is critical?

Just-a-PB, how do you guys schedule all that wait time in between 7 day wait, 7 day wait, 28 day wait, etc.? I assume that you stagger jobs or something. Just curious. Waiting is fine for me. The hard part is that during the spring we get a lot of winds here, so I don't know how I would keep the project covered. Maybe I can link a bunch of tarps together and tie to the fence or something. I assume that the tile has to be covered for about 72 hours while the thinset dries if I'm interpreting the instructions correctly, not the entire 28 days.

I will get samples and do the boil/freeze routine. That's a good idea.

And thanks yankee lawyer and Just-a-PB for the arctic tile option. I saw some today and like it a lot. It is down to that and the Jules Bright Cobalt Blue Blend for I think $22.00.

Yankee lawyer, how long have you had the tile installed, and any problems?

I should have specified, I mean the owner/manager of the store, not the chain ;)

Also, will post a short new thread about the 2 tiles.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Spa Monkey,

We are just completing our pool now but have had water since December. So far no problems with the arctic tile, and that is despite a week of freezing temps and partial freezing of the pool.

One tip is that you should consider what color thinset and grout you prefer. We tinted both a pale grey, which deepened the color of the ice tile (which on a white background is a pale minty / celadon color). It came out much nicer than I had anticipated and they really sparkle in the sun. Everyone who sees the pool asks about them. Also, our pool finish is pebbletec tahoe blue with glass beads (jade mix luminous, which are blue, green, and clear beads). The arctic ice (on grey thinset) matches very well.

I do really like the Jules tile as well.

Yankeelawyer,

That is good news considering the freeze. I feel that I am overthinking this, but rather do it right the first time. I think that either of these tiles will look good once installed, just worried about the mesh backing. Thanks for the grout and thinset tips, I think a light blue hue would be nice since the tiles that I am looking at are blue hues. I was just going to add a touch of light blue to the plaster for the rest of it. Not sure about all of the other flooring options, but I do have about 2-3 months to decide on that I guess. Thank you for the help as well.

I have spent a lot of time looking at glass tiles and nothing compares to the look of the Lightstream. Wait until you get the samples in...you will be sold. Yes they are more expensive but the research I have done online about their product has been exceptional. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the tile in, yes, but worth it I think. Also I haven't installed tile in a pool but I have done back splashes and what not and I love the application method for Lightstream vs a mesh. Tomorrow we are meeting with our PB to discuss the labor cost of the glass tiles so I can decide if I want the 2x2 or 3x3 tiles at the water line.

Also, the Lightstream tiles are set on that clear plastic tape and already spaced for you so no spacers needed and they don't shift around. Win win for everyone.

You will see the peacock colored tiles in the brochure they send you and they used a medium blue colored grout and it helps the tile not have too much contrast with the grout. We are doing the steel blue color and will be doing a darker grey grout.

I received my Lightstream samples last week and I am in love. The quality and apearance of these tiles are far superior to everything else I have looked at. Sure it is more expensive and takes 4-6 weeks to get, but I think it is worth it. All of the research I have done online has rave reviews for the conpany and the products. Just wait for your samples to arrive...you will love them. We are going with the Gold Iridescent collection in steel blue with a medium grey grout. The way these are mounted on a clear plastic tape, already spaced properly, makes the installation easier than mesh I would think as I have installed with mesh before (not in a pool lol) and the Lightstream seems much easier.

Hi! There are quite a few builds that used Lightstreams, including mine. They are beautiful and really sparkle. Everyone comments on them when they come over. Hubby and I just love the look they give and figured, that though they are expensive, in the grand scheme of all the pool expense, it was worth it. I used them on the spa spillway/negative edge face and lining the steps and tanning ledge.
You could probably do a search and pull up pictures of them in use in various threads.

We are currently having NPT arctic lagoon installed. It is halfway done and will hopefully be finished tomorrow. As Yankeelawyer said, the thinset makes a big difference. We liked the tile on the white card, we LOVE it on the grey thinset! It really gives it a brilliant blue color. I can't speak to longevity yet, but it's definitely pretty. All the builds with Lightstream tile look gorgeous also.

Sorry, was gone due to work. Has anyone done the Lightstream 1x1" tiles, or just the 2x2" tiles? My waterline tiled area is only about 6" deep, so I think 6-1x1" tiles would probably look better than 3-2x2" tiles. Plus my pool is a kidney shape, so I figure the 1x1" would make the curves easier.

I personally dont care for the look of 1x1 tiles as I think the surface area of the tile is so small that you kind of lose the look esp bc there is even more grout. I have been going back and forth between the 2x2 and the 3x3. I am likely going to do the 2x2 bc with the 3x3 there is less variety bc there would only be 2 rows of tile to make a 6" water line tile and beauty of the Lightstream tiles is how you can flip them over to change the look. But that is strictly a personal opinion.

I just ordered samples of NPT Lightwaves tile in blue and aquamarine as its very close looking to the Lightstream but I read on here it is cheaper. Not sold on it as it seems every single piece is iridescent and I like the fact that some of that is broken up with the Lightstream tiles. So we shall see. But even with those, still looking like a 2x2 tile.

If you go to the Gallary on the Lightstream website, there are TONS of pics showing a huge amount of real applications of the tile and also what sizes and colors are used.

FYI, if you go with Lightstream, they have very specific installation instructions including their thin set and grout. Just in case you didn't know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.