Solar Heater In Your Concrete

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Anyone hear of this and know of it's reputation?

http://sunworksco.com/indek_heaters.html
http://www.pacificgunite.com/solar%20pool%20heating.htm

It's a solar heating system that you install in your pool deck. You pour the concrete right over it. I thought it would have a good chance of cracking when the concrete cracks, but the website says that it will actually make your concrete stronger and less likely to crack. It also says that they haven't had to make a single repair since they started in 1982.

I wonder how well it can actually collect the sunlight though with a layer of concrete over it. But maybe?!?!

My concrete deck gets so hot I can't vacuum the pool barefoot. It might be worth it just to keep the deck cool. I expect there is a lot of heat to be had in the deck.

The pipes in the system don't "collect the sunlight" like the pipes in a glass/copper solar panel would. The energy of the sun striking the concrete heats up the concrete, which has a considerable thermal mass. That heat is then transferred into the pool water, inside of the piping installed in the concrete. It is basically turning the concrete slab into a giant heat exchanger.

It looks like they install the same piping that is used for radiant heating of homes with concrete slab foundations. Pumping hot water though those systems does a fine job of heating a home.

Looks like a fantastic idea, as i know when the sun goes down, my concrete around my pool stays warm for about 2 hours or more. I can also feel the heat that gets trapped underneath it as well (the concrete settled in the back lifting it slightly off the top of the pool). My only question is where you do you live. Here in NJ, My concrete doesn't get all that hot in May or September, which is when I really would need the heat. July and August get enough sun and heat to keep the pool plenty warm without any kind of solar or gas heater. So the question for you I guess is, How much do you think your deck will transfer when you really need the most heat?

Good Point! I live in MA so it would be a similar situation.

What I'm more concerned about though is if I needed to tear up the concrete for say a cracked pipe, it will now cost me a 1/3 more to replace my heating system as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.