Ajax or Softscrub OK?

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
My situation: I have some masking tape adhesive to remove from the decorative brick/tile that is between the concrete deck & the water (from a perimeter caulking job so the entire length of the pool).
I’ve tested various items & know Softscrub will do the job nicely. I’ll have a garden hose to wash it onto the deck & away from the water but some will get in the water.
I remember as a kid I’d see them cleaning the tiles IN THE WATER with Ajax (so I’m guessing Ajax is ok).
I haven’t tested Ajax but it’s bound to remove the adhesive too, but it is probably more abrasive than Softscrub & I suppose could scratch the decorative brick/tile so I’d rather go with Softscrub. Is there a good reason to use Ajax instead of Softscrub? Normally I wouldn’t ask such a petty question but I’ve had enough this season with undesirable chemicals in the water. If the deck-tile interface was ideal (sloping away from the water, tile higher than deck) I wouldn’t even ask because I’d be confident it would all wash away, but that isn’t true.

Thanks

Either of those cleansers will require some extra chlorine to clean up and may cause foaming. I would use Goo Gone, it isn't perfect but it should work. You can probably use less to get the same effect and it won't foam up the way the other two will.

Hello from another Charlottean on BBB.

Any solvent will take the adhesive off. However, as Jason said, Goo Gone or "Oops" will work fine. These will evaporate very quickly and leave very little residue. Try it first and make sure they do not affect the color or sealer of the decorative concrete.

If you're concerned about these chemical residues, , then you could try just a pressure washer ( low psi so as not damage the new caulk) with water and then let the filter take care of any solids.

Thanks & glad I asked.
I tested Goo Gone or "Oops" etc & decided I didn't want it near or on the caulk( which is also "adhesive" that I want to preserve).
The low pressure wash is a good idea if i keep it off the caulk. I suspect I'll go w that.
I'll test the olive oil.
Anything other than the pressure wash, I'll mop up to remove all possible that way then just hose off the rest.

BTW, I used masking tape per the instructions, it was a cool 72degrees (max)day in May & not too long in the sun & on the brick less than 3 hours- bummer. Should have used blue painters tape, I hada lot on hand, considered it, but went w the instructions.

If anyone wants to tackle this "perimeter re-caulking job", I made copious notes that I can refer to the next time I must do this job (something I do for bigger projects, where much is learned, many little details that could be forgotten are involved, & its a project I won't likey have to repeat for many years). Holler if you want them.

It's an important line of caulk obviously, but especially so if:
- in drought conditions/after the drought,
- a cold winter
- if other cracks in the concrete arent treated
- there is any non-ideal drainage conditions (water flowing towards the deck instead of draining away)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.