Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming

do I need to vacuum my pool if there is no visible debris at the bottom?
    5K gal QS AG soft blue pool, 1500 gph pump

2. Back To Top    #2

You'd be amazed at what is at the bottom/side of your pool.

I have had my pool up about a month and just bought a hose that will attach to my cheap scubber head that came with the pool (the kind you hook a water hose up to)

I have used it w/ just the water hose and tried to catch debris with the net and it got it decently clean.

My pool was pretty well clean (so I thought) when I vacumed it for the first time. I spent about 30 minutes vacuming it all over just ot make sure it was clean and then checked the filter. The filter was full of all sorts of nasty stuff I never seen.

So I'd say to keep your pool in tip top shape Id buy a vacume... even if its just a long hose that attaches to one of the cheaper cleaners.

I will be buying a better vacume later down the line, but this works wonders and can tell my pool even looks cleaner. Even tho before I thought it was clean
    Andy
    15' X 4' Round AG
    BBB method and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Vacuuming

Quote Originally Posted by Rhesha
    Not really. No need to vacuum in the absence of dirt.

Also I have found the best pool cleaner is USE. The kids splashing and kicking stirs up everything so the filter can get it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I vacuum when the accumulation of bugs (suicide rate must be HIGH for pill bugs) and misc debris get's past my personal rate of tolerance

I agree use is the best vacuum, except for the big stuff.

5. Back To Top    #5

it came with a vac... i vacuumed after an algea bloom, and it was just coming back in the pool... i dont think my vacuum allows to vac to waste.. so now, the bottoms stays clean, not many leaves, dirt. etc.... i'm brushing it along with the sides... the only problem I have are all these dang freakin bugs.. the skimmer gets some, but i have to scoop most of them out. i can also see small particle in the water, but my water is still a little cloudy, so i'm thinking thats probably why.
    5K gal QS AG soft blue pool, 1500 gph pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Vacuuming

Quote Originally Posted by Rhesha
    With a 5000 gal above ground... I would say no. Enjoy the water.
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7
    I have the same pool set up as you do almost, and putting a knee high, nylon over the skimmer basket sure helped a lot with bugs, I get a lot of those swimming bugs that seem to be able to thrive in chlorine, but you have to be careful, because on the first day, I had so many bugs in the nylon that it almost shut down the pump! I have had some success also with keeping a pool noodle in the pool that gives the bugs something to get onto if they are stuck in the water.

16X48 Metal Frame Intex
    6000 Gallons of water, (Rain has us just about completely full)
    2000GPH Krystal Klear Pump Filter Size B Model 51
    Hayward Aqua Critter Pool Vac (Somehow this works!)
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC