What should I do during and after a storm?

I vote for manual labor, trenches and drainage pipe. You've had your pool for 4 months. Surely the biggest rain you'll ever get didn't just happen this week (though I know it's been quite rainy). I'm sure worse will come. I'd do the long term solution so I could sleep at night knowing my pool will be clear in the morning. I can imagine a nice vacation, then returning home and guess what - green pool - just in time for your kid's birthday party.

I just re-read the whole thread and great pickup by Matt. I wish we had thought of runoff early on. I hope you can trench it a bit for short term protection and get a well-designed long term solution.

The wall behind the pool is high enough that it should have required it's own drainage design. That was probably done, but you have a lot of value there to protect. In my State, any retaining wall over 3'3" (1 m) requires a plan stamped by a structural engineer, but I don't know about your area. Anyway, I'm hoping there's an opportunity. The drainage behind the wall must discharge somewhere, and maybe you could tie into the same system, or follow it to the correct draining point.

The poor design adjacent to the pool is a red flag, so thinking about your earlier question, I would definitely talk to the landscape designer and probe about the larger wall design. It doesn't look like it from the pictures, but it could be a weeping wall, or have drainage relief exiting through the wall, which then means you have more water to handle between the wall and the pool. Or there may be drains behind it, and their discharge might be something you can take advantage of. Either way, I'd want to be confident that the rock wall is properly drained to make it safe and eliminate risk to your property.

I'm kickin myself for not asking about runoff earlier; might have saved you one of the SLAMs!

I would definitely say in those first shots you have water draining towards the pool and building up against the pool wall. That's not good. Eventually all that water is going to damage and loosen the coping. The only positive for you is that Alamo, CA does not usually get the levels of rain you are experiencing. So you could just be in a bad situation for now but fine for 9 out of 10 years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to crash your thread, but I do love the stone/rock you used to face the wall. That was the look I was going for but we ended up selecting a cheaper stone tile. Looks okay but if you don't seal with a wet look seal the tile looks very drab. One of these days I will post the question in a thread for any advice. But seeing your pool makes me very jealous.

Good luck with drainage. Lucky it doesn't rain here from May to October.

When I was 8 or 12 years old I would have volunteered with a shovel and a trowel just for the fun of getting the water flowing away really fast (without damaging any irrigation :). I used to love doing that! I'd actually love to do it right now!

Hello. What a gorgeous haven you have there. Despite the beauty, I'd be mad as a hatter with the contractors though, because i feel you've been set up to fail here.

To preserve the beautiful work and come up with an effective solution I strongly recommend hiring a hydrogeologist to engineer your drainage plan. The layout is not straightforward to my mind. While the words "hydrogeologist" and "engineer" sound expensive, I'm not sure they have to be. In my neck of the woods I don't think I spent more than $500 on a consult, but I learned a lot. I'd hired mine to assess whether or not the foreclosure I was buying on the side of a hill with a river at the bottom and a pool where the former catch basin was was "sound" or not in terms of drainage.

As it turned out, it was sound, so I'll share what was done on construction, recreated from the info we'd gathered before we were comfortable making the purchase (its a vinyl pool, so we were especially concerned about liner float and soil erosion ergo concrete surround movement.)

A trench had been dug all the way around the pool (after the concrete area that on two sides is fairly narrow) and topped with decorative 2-3" stone -- large enough not to be problematic if it got in the pool during leaf blowing, etc.

You don't have to use stone, though it would look nice in your setting. The make a perimeter drain grate for pools that need this type of protection. I'll try to find you a link.

My perimeter drainage the connects with two large underground drains on either side of the house that run all the way to the road. All my eaves are also connected to the underground system.

The side of the hill before the pool was terraced down two levels, draining to the perimeter drain. Note that while I do mulch the terrace, I've also heavily planted it beyond original owners to prevent soil erosion and excess runoff. Ground cover is especially useful for this. In your case, ground cover over decorative stone would be a good idea for your beds. Not sure in your climate, but creeping thyme, periwinkle, etc. would be lovely. Native grasses also help when there are drainage issues.

I'd need to look at your pond more closely, but am thinking some kind of breach berm between its pool-side edge might also prove useful.

In my case, and unlikely necessary in yours, there was also a sump created below my deep end, plumbed to my pump so I could close the other valves and either pump it to waste or send the water to the pool in heavy rain events...there's gravel in the sump and the water seems pretty clean the few times I do that in spring.

The only thing with long runs of drains is every so many years you may have to jet them if debris builds up. But in my case were talking about runs a few hundred feet long because I'm on a 2+ acres lot.

Hope that helps give you some ideas for a retrofit. Here's a quick link to pool trench decorative drains, but search around to see what all is possible. This will get you started: Trench Drain Systems | Pool Trench Drains

So instead of just letting this thread die with no real conclusion, I figured I'd follow up. Contacted the contractor and showed them the video. They immediately said that wasn't right and sent someone over. Check out what was buried exactly where all the water collection was happening...

59e40ebea9f15a850055ffef3da7a38e.jpg

(insert head palm slap here) Yeah, that's a drain that was hiding under a foot of dirt that they accidentally covered up. I'm not sure whether to laugh or be upset. I suppose a little bit of both. I'm just happy to see the major issue has been addressed.

Nice conclusion!! I would add more decorative rock or rip-rap stones to that area to keep it clear of growth.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice conclusion!! I would add more decorative rock or rip-rap stones to that area to keep it clear of growth.
That was them putting the stones around it, but yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Will need to look up ideas for that spot. I've already had to move the stones back several times just because the dog likes to dig around the drain, so something a little more permanent would be nice.

Yeah, that'd explain it! I'm glad the contractor realized the problem and got on it, and even more glad it's already there and won't involve more yard trenching.

Sounds like you'll get to see how well it works this week, with another series of storms on the way; take some video for comparison if you can!

Do you know where the pipe daylights? If not, stick a garden hose in it and find out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.