How long should I run my pump daily to get 1 turnover?

May 30, 2009
Hey folks,

Everyone has been so helpful here and I have tried figuring out my "head" etc, but I always get confused. My pump is a hayward super pump 1 hp, the filter is a 24" sand, the pool is a 15x30 gunite rectangle approx 18500 gal and my clean pressure is 11.5...so how the heck do i figure out the approx gal turnover? I read 1 turnover per day should suffice, but I am unsure in how many hours my pool accomplishes this task, so I have usually run the pump about 10 hours a day, usually this works???(totally guessing on that one)

Oh yeah...1.5 inch piping.

thanks for any feedback...still learning

Since you have only one skimmer and your main drain is dead (off?), your head loss is probably around 45 feet (~4xPSI). Assuming that is a 1 HP uprated pump, the flow rate should be around 55-60 GPM. That should yield a turnover of a little less than 6 hours. So currently, you are running the pump at a little over 1.5 turnovers which should be about right. Depending on the load on the pool, you should be in the 1-2 turnover range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.