Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should I run my pump daily to get 1 turnover?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long should I run my pump daily to get 1 turnover?

Hey folks,

Everyone has been so helpful here and I have tried figuring out my "head" etc, but I always get confused. My pump is a hayward super pump 1 hp, the filter is a 24" sand, the pool is a 15x30 gunite rectangle approx 18500 gal and my clean pressure is 11.5...so how the heck do i figure out the approx gal turnover? I read 1 turnover per day should suffice, but I am unsure in how many hours my pool accomplishes this task, so I have usually run the pump about 10 hours a day, usually this works???(totally guessing on that one)

Oh yeah...1.5 inch piping.

thanks for any feedback...still learning
    Sharkline 54 matrix 15 x 26
    Pentair Clean & Clear 150SF Filter with 1-1/2 hp 2 speed Optiflow Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long should I run my pump daily to get 1 turnover?

Since you have only one skimmer and your main drain is dead (off?), your head loss is probably around 45 feet (~4xPSI). Assuming that is a 1 HP uprated pump, the flow rate should be around 55-60 GPM. That should yield a turnover of a little less than 6 hours. So currently, you are running the pump at a little over 1.5 turnovers which should be about right. Depending on the load on the pool, you should be in the 1-2 turnover range.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner