Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Newbie to TFP

Hello, I am Coobie and I just registered here at FTP. I am fairly new to the pool world as well. We purchased this home in June 2016 and have been learning ever since. I have no way of knowing the size (gallons) of the pool, but I can tell you in my area (Southern Ca) it seems to be larger than most residential pools. It is a bit older, mid to late 80's if I would have to guess. I would like to modernize it in the future.

Had some issues right away when the pool pump took a dive (pun intended). Since it was no longer working I did a little research and ended up purchasing a Pentair V/S pump. We had solar installed on the house and while we were making that deal, I had them install a pool solar thermal unit on my patio roof. This combination is one reason why I joined this forum, look forward to posts asking questions about Pentair settings, proper speeds, replacing a pool light, calcium removal, and more!

Thank you for taking the time to read my intro! I look forward to learning from all of you.

Coob
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie to TFP

Welcome! Great looking pool. I'm new here as well, and have learned quite a bit in the couple weeks since I have been here. Follow the link below and start creating a signature. Provide as much information as you know, and fill in the rest as you learn.

Trouble Free Pool
    14K Gal, In Ground Vinyl, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model S244S, Century Centurion 1hp Switchless Pump with a PB4 Cleaner Booster Pump, Pentair Model 320 Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder, Taylor K-2006C, Currently maintained every 2 weeks by a pool service

3. Back To Top    #3

HI! You seemed to have done pretty well up to now! It is not green! LOL

I have a tool for you! There is a learning curve but what I want you to use right now is the size helper part. We will work on the other stuff as you learn more about TFP. https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Look towards the bottom. You will see a size estimator. We will work on tweaking your size as we work though everything.

How have you been testing your water up until now?

So glad you found us!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    HI! You seemed to have done pretty well up to now! It is not green! LOL

I have a tool for you! There is a learning curve but what I want you to use right now is the size helper part. We will work on the other stuff as you learn more about TFP. https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Look towards the bottom. You will see a size estimator. We will work on tweaking your size as we work though everything.

How have you been testing your water up until now?

So glad you found us!

Kim
    Testing...uh yeah.

Y'all are gonna kill me but all I've been doing from advice from somebody who's brother's uncle's neighbor is a pool guy kinda thing is add 1G Chlorine and 1G acid every week. Regular brushing

Using the pool calc, it looks like my pool is approximately 31,500 gallons.

Thank you for that, I've always wondered.
    Last edited by Coobie; 01-11-2017 at 04:24 PM. Reason: measured pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Y'all are gonna kill me but all I've been doing from advice from somebody who's brother's uncle's neighbor is a pool guy kinda thing is add 1G Chlorine and 1G acid every week. Regular brushing
    Mods, can we please please have a facepalm emoji, because seriously I can think of no better response!!

Oh well Coobie, lets look on the bright side and move forward. Your pool is not green, yay!!. You brush regular, which is a good habit. You know you dont know enough about pool maintenance, so you joined here, awesome move that one, you wont regret it

However the most important part of pool care, is to test your water yourself and add only what is required to keep the water safe and sanitary for swimming and to protest your pool surface and equipment. You need a test kit. We recommend a Taylor K2006C or the TF 100 Test kit from TFTestkits.net. The preferred is the TF100 and if you order that one, get the speedstir as well, I hear its awesome and makes testing really easy.
    https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...its-comparison

Oh and hi and welcome to TFP
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Coobie View Post
    1G acid every week.
    THIS is the one that scares me the most! Do you mean 1 gallon of Muratic acid??? a week????? Please say no but do not lie to me LOL

Now,now, now Caco........pat, pat, pat.......He is here and ready to learn. Right Coobie?

That IS a big pool! WOW! The more I look at it the better I like the design.

Coobie, here is what we need you to do please. Set up your signature. Go to settings (upper right) then to edit signature (middle left). Fill in kind and size of pools. Equipment details such as kind for filter (sand, DE, cartridge), pump size, etc.

Once you do that please go to my siggy and look at the link that talks about test kits. This is the number one tool for taking care of your pool. It will save you money in the long run AND your pool will look even better than it does now!

I can't wait to see your test results so we can start getting the pool looking like it can with TFP!

For right now please do not add anything to your pool other than a 1/2 gallon of chlorine.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8
    TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! My brother's nephew's cousin's mother-in-law used to know a guy who's dad was a poolie, so we have heaps in common!

Good to have you here
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | FC / CYA Chart | Read Before Posting | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome!!! You will LOVE it here I started my adventure on TFP with an INTEX above ground swamp and then relocated back to SoCal and rented a home with a pool Knowing what I did from here, I convinced the landlord to fire her pool guy and let me take over... haven't turned back 2 years now and at least she trusts me when I talk to her about anything wrong with equipment etc...

You will wonder why you never did it before lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!