Greetings from Caracas, Venezuela

blai

Jan 9, 2017
CARACAS, VENEZUELA
Hi all,

Wonderful site this one!

I'm planning on doing a complete overhaul to the pool in my parent's house. It is a 28-year old pool that is seldom used but the pump is ran every day and the water is crystal clear. I enjoyed it while living there and now want my children to enjoy it as well. I want to replace the old sand filters with a big cartridge filter and also install a heater. There used to be a Teledyne Laars 250k BTU heater but it died many years ago. The filters also appear to have reached their life cycle. I think the heater was oversized for the pool.

Current configuration:

- 15k in-ground pool, concrete, two skimmers, 1 main drain, and 4 returns
- Around 400 sq. ft. surface area
- Daytime temp in Caracas is usually between high 70s and 80 F. In December-January, daytime temp is 70-75 F
- Altitude is 3000ft

Equipment:

- 2 Sta-Rite Waterford JWPA5FL-A pumps. The label says: 1-1/2 HP, SF 1.0, RPM 3450, KW 1.1, 120V. Can't find GPM curves for this pump and it isn't listed in the APSP database http://apsp.org/resources/energy-efficient-pool-pumps.aspx
- 2 small sand filters, I don't have details here
- 1 broken and fully internally rusted Teledyne Laars Millivolt 250K BTU heater
- 2-1/2 PVC pipes
- No chlorinator

We alternate between the pumps each day when filtering water. Some times the filters will dump debris back into the pool, even after backwashing.

This is what I have in mind for the upgrade:

- 420 sq. ft. cartridge filter
- Raypak PR156A 150k BTU heater

I read here that big filters are always good. I want to clean the new filter once a year. About adding a chlorinator system, I don't like the idea because I'm not sure what would be the long-term impact on the deck and surroundings (quite porous stuff).

These are my current questions:

Am I making an obvious mistake here? What do you think? Any recommendation?

Do I need a bigger heater? I like the Raypak PR156A because it is small and light and thus can be shipped to Venezuela much easier and safer than big heaters. Additionally, I read that this is a good choice in terms of reliability and durability. On the other hand, the heater requires a min of 20 GPM and max of 70 GPM. Will it be ok with the pump and filter combination?

Is my pump ok with the filter and heater? Do I need to change pump as well?

Many thanks in advance..

blai,

Just wanted to say Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource... :lovetfp:

I have about the same size pool and have an 520 sq ft filter. I have to clean it about twice a year. But I can do this because I have a Variable Speed pump, which I run at a low RPM. With a single speed pump, I would suspect the filter pressure would build up a lot faster and think you'd have to clean the filter much more often. Let's see if others here with that set-up can chime in...

For filters, the bigger the better when looking at the time between cleaning.

I am not a heater expert, but I would think that a 150K BTU heater would take a long time to heat a 15K gallon pool. My guess is that it would work if you keep the pool heated all the time, but if you wanted to just fire it up on a weekend, the weekend would be over before the pool got hot.. :p

We have got some real heater experts here, so let's see if one of them has any comments...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for the input. Let's wait for the experts on heaters... About the filter, how would you compare your 3 HP VS pump at low RPM with my 1-1/2 HP pump at 3450 RPM? I guess that yours at half speed is GPM-equivalent to mine at full speed. Is that right?

Cheers,

Blai

blai,

My guess is that it costs you more to run your pump for an hour than it does for me to run mine all day.

I have no idea how many GPM the pump moves. I'm not at all sure why I would care??? I have to run it at 1,200 RPM to ensure that my SWCG's flow switch is closed. At that speed it uses 175 Watts of electrical power.

I just checked, and the SWCG's manual says it takes about 25 GPM to close the flow switch...

At 1,200 RPM the pressure gauge on top of the filter reads about 2 PSI. My guess is that your pump running at full speed with a clean filter would read 12 to 15 PSI.

Not sure if that if helps or not..

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

You need to decide on chlorination method very early in your quest. I would go SWC, no doubt about it. I don't believe there's any harm to stone. Zero.

But respecting your view, you need to go on a search and see what you can get for reliable chlorinating liquid. And start thinking/searching Stenner Pump.

Could be 12.5% sodium hypochlorite swimming pool chlorinating liquid. 15 L jugs
Could be...
10% sodium hypochlorite pool shock (good size jugs)
8.25% bleach (not splashless, not scented, gallon jugs)
recent manufacture date on any, if possible

If you have to use solid forms (cal-hypo, trichlor or dichlor), then plan on swapping water out periodically. If you're forced down this path, and I hope you're not, get a Pentair 320 inline chlorinator.

Great project. I'm envious :)