boatman bugs

i always have a few of those boatman bugs (maybe they are "backswimmers", i'm not sure) swimming around in the pool every year, but this year there seem to be alot more of them. anybody know of anything i can do to get rid of them? anything i can add to the water to kill 'em? or SHOULD i ??? after reading a little on them, they say these little guys eat algae, which i suppose is a good thing, they are just annoying. any ideas? thanx.

http://www.everythingabout.net/articles ... r_boatman/

I was getting them every year too. This spring they showed up a week after opening just like they always do. Over the winter I decided to and borates to the pool for that reason and the other benefits of borates and they were gone within a week and I have never seen one since then. :party:

I myself just killed a backswimmer after it bit my daughter twice, thats been the only one I've seen.

I keep my chlorine levels pretty high as I'm still adding cya. I just ordered some boric acid from a chemical supply company and am going to add that as well. I have read great things about the use of borates in pool water, so I said "hey, I'll give it a shot".

I've read where you can get by cheaper by adding borax and MA, but for me the convenience of just adding this powder to the water and not having to worry so much about my PH and TA levels was the deal sealer..lol..I'm really new at this and until I completely get the hang of it, I will pay a little extra for getting it right...lol

It's still a LOT cheaper than I was spending on Baquacil products that didn't even keep my water clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.