Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: boatman bugs

1. Back To Top    #1

boatman bugs

i always have a few of those boatman bugs (maybe they are "backswimmers", i'm not sure) swimming around in the pool every year, but this year there seem to be alot more of them. anybody know of anything i can do to get rid of them? anything i can add to the water to kill 'em? or SHOULD i ??? after reading a little on them, they say these little guys eat algae, which i suppose is a good thing, they are just annoying. any ideas? thanx.

http://www.everythingabout.net/articles ... r_boatman/
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: boatman bugs

I just skim them out with the net and fling them out of the pool, not much else you can do.....

3. Back To Top    #3

I was getting them every year too. This spring they showed up a week after opening just like they always do. Over the winter I decided to and borates to the pool for that reason and the other benefits of borates and they were gone within a week and I have never seen one since then.
    16' by 32' cornelius AG vinyl liner, 6' deep end, 14500 gal.
    Hayward 250 Lb sand filter
    Hayward 40 GPM pump
    2-2' by 20' sun grabber solar heater.
    4 gal Liquidator. BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

I myself just killed a backswimmer after it bit my daughter twice, thats been the only one I've seen.

I keep my chlorine levels pretty high as I'm still adding cya. I just ordered some boric acid from a chemical supply company and am going to add that as well. I have read great things about the use of borates in pool water, so I said "hey, I'll give it a shot".

I've read where you can get by cheaper by adding borax and MA, but for me the convenience of just adding this powder to the water and not having to worry so much about my PH and TA levels was the deal sealer..lol..I'm really new at this and until I completely get the hang of it, I will pay a little extra for getting it right...lol

It's still a LOT cheaper than I was spending on Baquacil products that didn't even keep my water clear.
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pepsiholic
    I just ordered some boric acid from a chemical supply company
    Care to give the website of this company? I've been looking to do the same.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

6. Back To Top    #6

This is where I ordered from http://www.proteampoolcare.com. But make sure to order Proteam Supreme Plus if you don't want to have to add any acid. The Plus is PH nutrual, that is what I ordered, the less I have to mess with, the better...lol.. I guess it's more of a pool supply company, but we have nowhere around here that sells it. Hope this helps
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum