Construction in N. TX - Plaster Time

djohnson822

Bronze Supporter
Oct 31, 2016
Longview, TX
Hello all! I can't tell you how much of a blessing you all are. I hope everyone had a great holiday season....now time to build! I have almost spec'd out our pool, with the exception of a few details. Please help me out and give your opinion on what I've come up with. Pictures will come soon!

Here's my background - We have 3 kids, the youngest is 5 and now comfortable swimming. Engineer, grew up in CO. We like football....a lot! The pool will be for fun, and some relaxing! I'm doing an OB, and believe I'll get great support from y'all here. I've gotten bids from all the sub-contractors, and should be ready to go in about a week.

So here's the details:

Structure:
Freeform 32x16' IG 10" Gunite, 3000 psi min.
3/8" rebar on 10" centers (Beam will be 12" though) Just going with the Gunite Sub recommendations, as we don't have soil issues
3.5' to 7' depth
Baja Shelf, 8' diameter, 10" deep
Diamond Brite Tahiti Blue Plaster
Noble Tile Celtic Castle Kikea Blue
Coping - Poured Concrete, 4" Thick with boulder texture and tan finish (Want the boulder creations look without the cost lol)
5 boulders (Oklahoma Moss, ~2' dia) will be integrated with the coping and sealed
Deck - 1000 sqft salt finish (Thought about spray deck, but my neighbor talked me out of it. He does salt finish all the time in Dallas, said it is nice to walk on in the summer. I really like the honed exposed aggregate, where you can see the cut aggregate, not small pebbles, but it might be too slippery.....and leveling would be a beast)

Equipment: (All Pentair)
SWG IC40 (Even though 2 PBs didn't recommend Salt....one said he'd make me sign a waiver that voids the warranty! But I have TFP......I should now better)
IntellifloXF VS 3HP
Easytouch 8
Clean&Clear Plus 520 Cartridge Filter
(6) 3-Way Jandy Valves (For Add-Ons like solar)
3 Actuators for pool control
2 Intellibright 5G 12V Color LEDs
2 Globright 12V Color LEDs (One for Bubbler, and one for Grotto)
Autofill

Suction side Plumbing:
Double drain with 2" PVC
1 Skimmer
1 "Vacuum" Connection (Can't remember off the top of my head why I wanted this lol)

Pressure Side Plumbing:
4 returns with 3/4" eyes
1 LED Bubbler on Baja Shelf
Slide piping
Grotto Piping (Future)

Fun Stuff:
Turbo Twister Slide
Jump Rock
Grotto 2 tons ok moss

Phase 2 (If we build up the funds!)
Solar - H20 Sun 15x30' panels
Heater - 400k BTU MasterTemp
Pergola

Let me know what you like/dislike, or any potential issues you see.

Thanks! Doug

Re: ALMOST Ready to Go on OB...Need your Opinions!

Welcome and good luck on the build. You're a braver one than me. Just got our pool this year. My comments below.

Love my SWG and vs pump can't imagine pool without them, so good choices. Really like our color LEDs.

Diving is kinda scary with depths under 8'. I personally would not have diving in 6'.

Would recommend umbrella mounts in seating areas. We have a couple of built in loungers and really enjoy sitting there with the umbrella up in the shade on hot days, having a drink and watching the grandkids play.

Enjoy,
Gary

Welcome and good luck on the build. You're a braver one than me. Just got our pool this year. My comments below.

Love my SWG and vs pump can't imagine pool without them, so good choices. Really like our color LEDs.

Diving is kinda scary with depths under 8'. I personally would not have diving in 6'.

Would recommend umbrella mounts in seating areas. We have a couple of built in loungers and really enjoy sitting there with the umbrella up in the shade on hot days, having a drink and watching the grandkids play.

Enjoy,
Gary

Good idea on the umbrella mounts. We were thinking of having the mounts on the decking, not in the pool due to having an LED bubbler on the Baja shelf.
I will have to look into the depth for a dive rock. I thought you needed 6', but I could be mistaken. Thanks for he input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim,

It will be about 17,000 gal. So I believe the IC 40 will be sufficient.
I have a friend who sells Pentair equipment, and he would kill me if I bought from somewhere else! (He has the best prices too)

I will have to look into the depth for a dive rock. I thought you needed 6', but I could be mistaken. Thanks for he input!

From my reading 7' 6" is the minimum recommended safe diving depth for 42" stationary platform per "American National Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools ANSI/NSPI-5 2003". Here is a link to a PDF of the document - look at figure 3, table 1 and section 5.10.1 for details. My builder rightly told us that we needed an 8' deep end for a diving board, which we installed. Even at 8', if you jump in from the board, or even from the side, your legs can hit the bottom.

+1 on the dive depth recc.
I'm a true diver in that I know how from decades ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth. And I have to be careful of my arc to not hit bottom on my 8' diving well ;) Had I built this pool, I'd have gone 12', because I love diving more than swimming.

Even divers without proper form -- and maybe especially divers without proper form and experience -- can easily get that depth. You may wish to consider protecting folks from their own occasional stupidity by either going to a forgiving depth or alternately removing the dive rock.

And if you like to dive, GO DEEPER. You really can't decide this one later. The extra gallonage really isn't a big deal in terms of maintenance, IMHO. But your build cost will be.

I don't know about your kids, but when i was a kid, I loved diving at my grandparents pool and would do so all day. Its to soon to tell whether yours will be so inclined, but if you see diving games in your future, consider going to a safe depth or making it a no-dive pool. I personally feel a no-dive pool is a bit less forgiving and a bit tougher to enforce because diving into a pool is just irresistible to some. But I'm highly biased by my own inclinations ;)

79e1cafa898f4232fc37b38a16dad11d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi and welcome to TFP! Good to have you hear :)

I wish we had two skimmers because even though we knew the prevailing wind, everything changed after the safety fence was in and the landscaping finished. I'd love to have two skimmers with valves for choosing flow from each.

Also agree with the IC60 recommendation. It won't cost much more and the economics are better because the cell will last a very long time.

Step heights of 11" or less are nice, and it's good to remember the freeboard above the water to deck height. Just thinking of the little ones and the old ones.

Our overflow gets a workout pretty often, so I'm glad we have it and no worrying if we're away.

I think your pool is going to be awesome!

That yard is just crying for a pool! That is going to be a great area for you and the kids!

Vacuum port is so you can use a manual vacuum when needed. Much easier with that instead of using the skimmer (can be hard to keep air out of the line and get things going).

Thanks for letting us come along for the ride!

Kim:kim:

I'd go with 2 skimmers since you're building new. One is sufficient of this size pool but 2 will help to clear the water quicker and serve as a backup should you ever have a problem with one of the lines. A big deal with a concrete deck. I'd also plumb for the heater if you're going to use gas. You don't want to have to rip up the yard once you get it back to normal.

Please don't allow diving. You're drawing indicates 7 feet right? It's much, much too shallow. Think of kids when they are in adult sized bodies but still think like kids (14-18 years and even older). It's a recipe for disaster or even death. And at not even 16 feet wide, people need to dive straight ahead, you don't have much room to either side (I have a 16' wide pool, I know). Teenage friends won't know or understand to do this. In NY state the min depth is 8' 6" deep and thats for a surface that is only 26" above the waterline (even deeper if higher). You mentioned a slide...that must discharge into a depth of at least 4 feet.

Great points on the 2 skimmers. I am going to have all the plumbing done for the heater, but my grand scheme will be to install a heater and solar system at the same time. So I'll provide everything to make easy tie ins at a later date.
Kim, I thought I read here that someone had a vacuum port installed for something other than a vacuum. Oh well, I'll remember when I need it. Thanks for the input on the diving. I'm not going to allow head first diving at all. So I guess I should call it a jump rock lol.

OK! Ordered most of the equipment and scheduled the mud hole time for Monday. Might be to push it off until Wednesday due to some rain in the forecast though. I got the larger XF pump due to the higher flow rates. It was almost 30 gpm more than the VS model. Looking back, it looks like the whisperflow XF might have been the best option, but I shouldn't have any problems with this one. Here are the model #'s:

(2) Pentair Intellibright 5G LEDs Color 50' cord - 601011
Pentair Easy Touch Control Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator 520545 5205451
Pentair IntelliFloXF Variable Speed Pump 022055 0220551
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 Cartridge Filter 160332 1603321
Pentair GloBrite LED Light 602054 - 50 Foot Cord 6020541
Pentair ColorVision Bubbler 580037 - Gunite Assembly 5800371

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.