Test kit in ... let the SLAMing begin!

It sounds like a plan that could work
In an ideal world we wouldnt want FC to get as high as 25 with your low CYA
Also the FC will drop off faster at the higher rate, but the algae will consume less every day.....
But this would mean that your pool would not fall behind in your slam while you cant be there

Make sure that you tell your wife that you 'superchlorinated' the pool for while you are away and that it will not be suitable for swimming

I am hoping that someone else can come up with a better plan, but its about all I can think of :(

My husband is like your wife.........he would rather I take care of it all.

IF you put the average chlorine you have been using in a easy to pour something would she pour it in? No testing or measuring, just pouring in carefully do you think she would do it then? I am pretty sure my husband would forget but...........

Just an idea.

Kim:kim:

Opening my pool this morning and there was a fine light grey film of dust on the base of my pool. My FC has dropped from 12 to 9ppm.

My observations from this are (rightly or wrongly):
1. Some of the algae was dead
2. With the drop in FC of 3ppm the biggest over night, some of the algae was definitely alive and should I have not got into that pit yesterday I think it would be a long time SLAMing. Do you think the drop in FC correlates with the algae dying and the film I am seeing. The film was previously a mustard colour in the early days and bit more dense.

I have a bit more to do in the pit as I said tonight and tomorrow morning but I am expecting a clean sediment/algae free (98%) by tomorrow morning.
I am really hoping this afternoon to see some positive result with the FC or by latest tomorrow morning. If I do get into clean tonight I think an OCLT is warranted because surely this algae should be dead. DIE ALGAE DIE!!!

I added 490mL chlorine this morning. Thanks again for everyones help.

Fingers crossed for you, mate. As Caco mentioned, FC will not drop the same amount each day. The FC drop will be greater when FC is higher, because it's neutralizing more stuff per hour/day etc. But that said, I think your plan is fine, with no swimming. Be sure the pump continues 24/7. The worst thing that can happen is that the SLAM continues when you get back, and total days of SLAMing are a few more. Sorry to hear what a challenge it's been. Not much longer and then very satisfying when it's clean and the maintenance becomes easier.

Opening my pool this morning and there was a fine light grey film of dust on the base of my pool. My FC has dropped from 12 to 9ppm.

Well, it does sound like your FC soldiers had a big battle last night. That 3ppm drop is a good sign the FC was fighting something. The 'dust' is likely the carcasses of the dead algae.

Yep, clean up the sediment as much as you can, as that definitely helps your progress.

Do an OCLT if you want to. With a 3ppm drop I would say you are still a while away from passing, but you never know.

Heres to a good algae killing party today

Pit cant get any cleaner now its really spotless so thats the best I can do with that and the cover. I managed to do a lot, backwashed, rinsed, vpump in the pit for 2.5 hours, main drain to wast to get the last bits. I probably replaced 5000L of water which is hopefully the reason my FC dropped to 8 from 3PM test.

I have one more scrub, vacuum today and back wash and im done.

Good news is most of the stuff in the pit appeared grey.

MY FC tests are no long slightly pink, heres one for you, could it be the algae that interferes slightly with the test, the last 2 had no signs of pink at all.

I will add 640mL of Chlorine now and test again after further works tonight.

Dont take this the wrong way, but I would be a bit more inclined to think your testing has got better with practise

Good news on the clean pool front

I think you will be leaving the pool in the best place you can

Hmmm...how many ways can that be taken :D. Just finished brushing and vacuuming. Ended up cleaning all the filter basked in the pump and skimmer...Waiting for sunset and last test. Will do an OCLT in the morning and setup a SLAM FC at 19 for the mustard algae and that is it.

I tell you what..I am looking forward to being away from my pool for a few days :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so last test FC was 10. Buit the good news is I accidentally forgot to add the full amount of chlorine. I put 340mL only. So chlorine at 10 is what is to be expect and no loss in FC in 2.5 hours. I will add the chlorine now and that it. Thanks again everyone, would not be anywhere without your guidance.

Is anything ever easy :) Pool looks clear.

I tested the FC 2 times this morning and on all occassions it showed a chlorine drop

Test 1 FC = 9.5
Test 2 FC = 8
Test 3 FC = 10

Why would it be so random. Is it very sensitive on the amount of detection powder you use - instructions say 1 heaped spoon (5mL spoon provided)?

If there is good news Test 1 and 3 I tested CC and the result was 0.5 for test one and test 4.

The only other reasoning I can think of is:

1. Is 1.5ppm to 2ppm drop overnight a normal drop and to be expected
2. Do I have leak - would this impact chlorine?
3. detection power issue or measure as referred to above.
4. CYA level

With the amount of vacuuming and draining done over the last week has my CYA dropped impacting the test results or loss of FC between tests. I tested it now and it was less than 30. Should I add more stabiliser? I think I have 600mg left or there abouts.

I will raise to mustard SLAM now based on FC 9.5 reading to be SAFE.

The amount of powder for the FC test is that important
If you use 1 heaped spoon, then you should have a cpl of undissolved granules left, I always do
I would say be very careful about how you fill to the line on the vial and make sure you have it exact
Also be careful with your drops. Just put enough pressure on the bottle so that the drop forms on teh end of the tip and falls under its own weight. It you try to hurry the test and 'push'the drops out they will be uneven on size and your reading will be slightly off

You can get a pretty big variation, just within the difference in the size of the meniscus. i.e. If you test with it at the top of the meniscus VS the bottom, so make sure that you fill the tube so that the bottom of the meniscus is level with the line

The precision of the FAS-DPD is +/- 1 drop when the drop count is less than 10 and +/-10% of the final reading when the drop count is over 10 drops.

Reading this post helped me with my testing procedure Extended Test Kit Directions

It is good news to see your CC low :)

1. You had a 3ppm drop the other night, so a 1.5-2ppm drop shows that you are moving in the right direction
2. If you had a leak it would not impact on chlorine values. We can do a test for that when you get back, but I think its unlikely. You would have noticed water levels dropping and be continually topping up water levels
3. Addressed above
4. CYA does not drop through adding water, it does drop with water replacement. The test is also +-10ppm. If you are concerned I would only add another 10ppm at this stage

There is a +/- on all of the tests. I think that is what you are hitting.

Now lets try this with your FC test. When you go to put the drops into the water make sure to:

-do not shake the bottle

-hold the bottle straight up and down

-use a gentle and consistent squeeze to get the drops out one at a time

I will tell you that I am to the point I can tell you by just looking at how pink the water is about how high or low my FC is :)

Kim:kim:

I use a rounded spoonful, shake, let stand for 30 seconds or so and swirl. Seems to work for me

If the air is really dry where you are you might have a bit of static buildup. Wipe the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp rag before you start

Also make sure to rinse your tube before you start with pool water, not tap water

Hello everyone,
Hope all are well.
Back from my trip and good timing. FC dropped to 11 ifrom the mustard algae slam level plus some extra for the time off (FC 25) will get some chlorine in.

Pool looking clear which is a good thing and got the cover off to get some sun in.

I assume I should keep my FC at 12 again till tonight then do an OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.