Test kit in ... let the SLAMing begin!

When you say "leftovers" are you referring to leftovers from the previous test or using too much powder?
I mean from the same test - there's obviously a chemical reaction for the first colour change, and then another for the second. I feel like sometimes the first one leaves stuff that makes the water not go back to clear. But keep in mind I often spend waaaaay too much time staring intently at these things from a few cms away whilst working on stuff with Nic so I could possibly have gone test blind :p
Yes that is the viewing tube, I order a new one in my latest order from you received 14/1. Having said that I notice the libe on the 2 tubes I have are slightly different so unsure if that has an impact on my test results. I have yet to use the new viewing tube as yet.
Unfortunately, I cant get my hands on a speedstir anywhere in Australia so mixing manually for now.

As per needsajet response to your post, I am basically doing everything he says verbatim.
Hahaha yes this forum teaches me new things everytime I log in! As for the lids, the tubes are the same and so the plastic you're viewing through will be the same. The lids are interchangable if you feel better swapping it over. I've noticed people putting the lids under their tests and it's an idea I'll be 'borrowing' when I record some videos for the site soon ;) I might have to credit TFP at this rate :p

Speedstirs are a pain for Aussies because they're sooooo useful but so hard to find and expensive to get brought over. We tried to import them but it's not economical at this point, so we're always looking for alternatives or better deals on importing a batch. One day, one day. In the meantime I continue using mine which has started to fail, but I'm sure it'll hold on for another season *crosses fingers*

Don't think too much about turnover. This article describes a good method to determine what works for your pool, and starting a bit high and working down as you observe how the pool performs is a good approach. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I'm sure Caco would give you an award too, but I think she's also back to a hectic schedule. Hope you get your fair share of well-deserved swimming!!! :paddle:

I mean from the same test - there's obviously a chemical reaction for the first colour change, and then another for the second. I feel like sometimes the first one leaves stuff that makes the water not go back to clear. But keep in mind I often spend waaaaay too much time staring intently at these things from a few cms away whilst working on stuff with Nic so I could possibly have gone test blind :p

Hahaha yes this forum teaches me new things everytime I log in! As for the lids, the tubes are the same and so the plastic you're viewing through will be the same. The lids are interchangable if you feel better swapping it over. I've noticed people putting the lids under their tests and it's an idea I'll be 'borrowing' when I record some videos for the site soon ;) I might have to credit TFP at this rate :p

Speedstirs are a pain for Aussies because they're sooooo useful but so hard to find and expensive to get brought over. We tried to import them but it's not economical at this point, so we're always looking for alternatives or better deals on importing a batch. One day, one day. In the meantime I continue using mine which has started to fail, but I'm sure it'll hold on for another season *crosses fingers*

I realised I mistyped "lines" as "libes" in my above post which you interpreted as "lids." Apologies for the confusion. The water level lines are different on each tube I have for chlorine is what I meant to say.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think too much about turnover. This article describes a good method to determine what works for your pool, and starting a bit high and working down as you observe how the pool performs is a good approach. Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I'm sure Caco would give you an award too, but I think she's also back to a hectic schedule. Hope you get your fair share of well-deserved swimming!!! :paddle:

Thanks needsajet. I went to work this morning. I checked the pool after our swim and looked clear..it was almost depressing opening the cover just to close it again and leave for work :(

Ahaha lines and lids that's awesome. We do have two types of lids, one for standards and one for viewing tubes and I thought I'd put the wrong one on :D
The labels are hand painted by monks and applied to specially blessed tubes only by the highest ranked warriors of a mystical clan that has lived high in the mountains of Tibet since the dawn of time, they train for the label applying moment their entire lives and can only do so once they reach enlightenment.

Or, to put it in a much more correct and true way, I put the labels on myself. Sometimes I don't get them at the perfect height on the tube but the chemistry of the tests is flexible enough to cope with a few mls of extra pool water. You won't see any difference in the tests with the line being a little off but yeah we do try to keep it at the perfect spot on all the tubes. No enlightenment yet though, still working on it :confused: :scratch:

Ahaha lines and lids that's awesome. We do have two types of lids, one for standards and one for viewing tubes and I thought I'd put the wrong one on :D
The labels are hand painted by monks and applied to specially blessed tubes only by the highest ranked warriors of a mystical clan that has lived high in the mountains of Tibet since the dawn of time, they train for the label applying moment their entire lives and can only do so once they reach enlightenment.

Or, to put it in a much more correct and true way, I put the labels on myself. Sometimes I don't get them at the perfect height on the tube but the chemistry of the tests is flexible enough to cope with a few mls of extra pool water. You won't see any difference in the tests with the line being a little off but yeah we do try to keep it at the perfect spot on all the tubes. No enlightenment yet though, still working on it :confused: :scratch:

Where did you find these monks...I needs some to take care of my pool!!!

I have put together my testing and maintenance schedule. I will adjust pending how consistent my results are after tests and usage. I think I have cover most of it. Realistically, I really done want to be testing pH and chlorine more than once a week once out of this initial period. Not sure if this is realistic, however, hoping to find a chemical balance that allows me to do so.

Testing ScheduleInspection & Maintenance
Free Chlorine (FC)DailyWater ClarityDaily
Combined Chlorine (CC)DailyPool cover operationDaily
Total Chlorine (TC)DailySkimmer basketMonthly
Acidity/Alklinity (pH)DailyPump basketMonthly
Total Alkalinity (TA)WeeklyFilter Pressure ValveMonthly
Calcium Hardness (CH)WeeklyPool cover pit cleanMonthly
Cyanuric Acid/Stabilser (CYA)6 MonthsBackwash & rinseFortnightly
Salt (S)SWGRobot cleanerBi Weekly
Notes:
Daily tests to be spread to bi weekly or weekly pending initial daily test results
Prior to a pool party or family usage bump up FC +5ppm by liquid or SWG prior/ SWG SC
Run SWG whilst in use.

Is the robot cleaner as good as a brush and manual vac? I have the Maytronics Dolphin Swash TC (its yellow with sponge rollers).

I think CYA monthly, skimmer basket more often, and backwash and rinse only if needed.

I want to follow up something I noticed earlier but you had a lot on your plate. Has the risk arising from a single main drain been provided for? For safety, just want to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

The robots are pretty good. I do one pool with a robot and never brush where the robot gets good contact. I do the waterline a bit to knock the floaties off before scooping. I also brush stairs, corners, anywhere I think the robot doesn't brush well enough. Takes 5 minutes instead of 25 minutes if I did the whole pool.

I think CYA monthly, skimmer basket more often, and backwash and rinse only if needed.

I want to follow up something I noticed earlier but you had a lot on your plate. Has the risk arising from a single main drain been provided for? For safety, just want to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

The robots are pretty good. I do one pool with a robot and never brush where the robot gets good contact. I do the waterline a bit to knock the floaties off before scooping. I also brush stairs, corners, anywhere I think the robot doesn't brush well enough. Takes 5 minutes instead of 25 minutes if I did the whole pool.

Hi needsajet,
When you say risk...what is the risk? Can you always pump out through a submersible pump or are there other risks. I have a second drain above the pit in the deep end of my pool. I actually dont recall what it is connected to but will need to go through?

Justed tested again. The SWG is doing its job. My FC is high and need to start a regimented time plan. I will do 4 hourstonight and tomorrow evening and test again

TEST DATE18/1/17
ItemTest
FC18.0
CC0.5
TC18.5
pH7.5
TA
CH
CYA<30
S
CSI
PT
SWG Level70%
SWG AMContinuous
SWG PMContinuous

My CYA didnt register. I know it is a tedious test and hard to get right, but I assumed it was at 25 and added enough stabiliser to get to 50 (500mg). I think I will add another 500mg as I may have over estimated (intentionally) where it was actually at so I would not go over 70, and retest tomorrow. Everything else seems ok.

CYA noted...will update.
Skimmer basked is almost always empty, hardly any plants or trees around me luckily. I always give a cursory check anyway.

Backwash and rinse...I actually prefer to do it more often..Not sure if my logic was correct, but would rather back wash for 60s till water goes clear then 2 mins to lose less water at once. I only have 20,000 litres so big backwashes have a greater impact on my pool balance. Again..may not make a difference and unsure if the filter needs a full 2 mins to get through the glass media either.

Yeh 50 CYA is a good step up. You can re-measure in a few days.

If there's two drains, that is terrific news! The risk is someone getting trapped by the drain under a fairly rare set of circumstances. But no matter how rare, the outcome can be catastrophic, so the risk needs to be eliminated. As long as that other drain goes to the same line and valve before your pump, that would be considered dual drains. You would need to ensure that neither line is plugged (put a rubber mat over either one and pump should still draw water).

For example, imagine one main drain plumbed to the pump on a single PVC line going to a 3-way valve. As long as the skimmer is also pulling water, there's two sources of water and the system is safer. But if the valve is switched or forgotten, and pulling water from the main drain only, bad things can happen.

So a crazy kid thinks the suction feels cool. Rotates the valve to main drain only. Swims over it thinking the movement of water feels nice. Swims too close and belly gets sucked down making a seal over the drain. The force needed to pull him free becomes 100s of pounds, so he's stuck and people can't pull him free even if they're there. A tragic NSW case estimated 350 kg force (750#). You can well imagine that a curious kid wondering what sitting on the drain might feel like, could also be seriously injured or worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeh 50 CYA is a good step up. You can re-measure in a few days.

If there's two drains, that is terrific news! The risk is someone getting trapped by the drain under a fairly rare set of circumstances. But no matter how rare, the outcome can be catastrophic, so the risk needs to be eliminated. As long as that other drain goes to the same line and valve before your pump, that would be considered dual drains. You would need to ensure that neither line is plugged (put a rubber mat over either one and pump should still draw water).

For example, imagine one main drain plumbed to the pump on a single PVC line going to a 3-way valve. As long as the skimmer is also pulling water, there's two sources of water and the system is safer. But if the valve is switched or forgotten, and pulling water from the main drain only, bad things can happen.

So a crazy kid thinks the suction feels cool. Rotates the valve to main drain only. Swims over it thinking the movement of water feels nice. Swims too close and belly gets sucked down making a seal over the drain. The force needed to pull him free becomes 100s of pounds, so he's stuck and people can't pull him free even if they're there. A tragic NSW case estimated 350 kg force (750#). You can well imagine that a curious kid wondering what sitting on the drain might feel like, could also be seriously injured or worse.

Oh yes...dumb me - I forgot that CYA takes a few days to a week to register. Good reminder

Re the drains - trapped by the drain...how - not being sarcastic here... The main drain that is current connected is under the pit lids so no chance of that happening, but I suppose someone could get caught between the pit lid support angle and pool wall where the cover comes up (there is a little gap there). Truth is I dont know where the drain in the deep end of pool is hooked up to if at all, I just dont remember. The good thing is that the pool plant room is under a coded lock where the skimmer valve/main drain valve are. I only have one of these hence confused as to what I did with the main drain in the deep end of the pool unless they both suck out at the same time.

I also have a spare return I ran and another pipe return which I believe is acting with my auto top up/auto leveler. There is one or two pool pipes in the pool room that I need to figure out too and label.

If there's a second drain on the same line as the single drain in the main body of the pool, all good. I didn't know there was a second drain in the cover vault, so I double-checked. That's also good news in terms of creating some chlorine circulation around the cover!

32c8edfa9d805505925e0d3588e75b61.jpg

40f9d6b3c79d11bc0a73c9b5c6881ff8.jpg

Oh...wait a sec...i am only sucking through the skimmer...am i supposed to have both? So if i turn the valve to the middle does it circulate from the main drain and skimmer?

Im feeling dumber than i was yesterday..good to learn something new though.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say you're supposed to, but it might help with algae on/in the cover.

There is no problem or danger sucking all water from the skimmer.

Provided the main drain line is pulling water from two sources for safety reasons, drawing a portion of the water from the cover pit will help move freshly chlorinated water around the cover, and may improve circulation in the pool as well. You can set the three-way valve for most of the water to keep coming from the skimmer so the pool still gets skimmed to your satisfaction, and maybe 1/4 from the drains, by turning the valve part way toward the middle position.

I think that woul help a great deal knowing how much stuff i vacuumed out of the pit....will this require the pump to be on medium...i have it on eco now so would sucking from both places require more force and how do you tell?

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Yeh I think it could help.

To get the same skimming action, you would need to speed up the pump a little. Maybe not all the way up to medium, but you could increase the low setting to what you feel you need. Or maybe a little less skimming will still be OK. You can play around with your low speed setting to see what works.

It is good to have both drain and skimmer open:

-circulate water for temperature reasons

-circulate water to make sure water is well mixed for chemical reasons

Your water will tell you if it is happy by looking like a jewel or looking kind of dull.

With you having kids I would NEVER have it work off of the main drain by its self. I would always have the skimmer partly open. I want you to have it on skimmer only and put your hand over the hole in the skimmer. See how hard the pull is. Even better if you have a vacuum hose you can do this with. You can really feel how strong the suction is. There have been cases of people being trapped by the main drain by the suction with their hair, suits, belly, etc.

I would keep the pump on eco even with the main drain cracked open as your water will get even better circulation now. You can always throw ping pong ball in the pool to make sure the water is moving like you want it to.

Kim:kim:

I will play with this tonight. Will through some ping pong balls in as well. Been trying to workout the pool circulation for my pool but the winds have prevented me from really working out what is currently happening.

As you can see from the photo, I have a rectangular pool with the skimmer and return on the same side (long edge). I have 1 return at the second step and one at the deep end, the one directly adjacent to the skimmer is a spare, you can also see 1 of my 2 main drains - the other is under the pit lids at the bottom of the photo on the skimmer side of the pit.

I am thinking of pointing the jet at the shallow end toward the step (top of photo) and slightly toward the surface. At the deep end, I was thinking of point this down and toward the opposite end. So both returns point away from the skimmer, 1 up and 1 down. The wind come from the deep end generally toward the shallow end due the path I have on the side of the house funneling through. Does that sound ok?

That's a good plan and starting point. The leaves and spent flowers certainly tell me when I have it wrong, haha.

Pool is looking spectacular, mate! Those are really cool tiles. What are they called?

Last edited:
They are just glass mosaics 25mm x 25mm on 300mm x 300mm backing sheet. They have a little pearl in the that reflects light. Makes the water look fresh and good in telling me when something is off.

I made a discovery today with the skimmer valve - few observations that I wanted to make sure it was in check:

1. It appears on the main drain in the pit sucks water, the one in the deep end of the pool is non functional. I will need to talk to the pool plumber as there is a spare pipe coming into the pump room which is capped off.

2. When I drain the pool to waste water poor out quite quickly, so I found it surprising when I put the skimmer valve to the main drain (100%) and pump on high that it felt like the sucking pressure was quite light. Is it less when the filter is filtering then on waste. It testing it with a smal leaf which made its way to the pump filter basket so it is definitely working. I ended up setting the valve to about 25% from the main drain and 75% to the skimmer.

3. Food for thought - is my skimmer actually skimming. With remco pool cover sitting and relying on the bouyancy of the water it made me thing the skimmer is not skimming but assisting the water circulation. The only time it could skim is when the cover is off. Which ofcourse I hardly need because the cover protects it and I use the net as soon as the cover is off.

Anyway, I will keep playing with the circulation. Ping pong balls flopped with the wind today.

I tested FC it is not at 14. Was 18 yesterday. My SWG is set at 70% and ran for 4 hours only between my test yesterday and my test today. SO it produced around 3.4ppm of chlorine. This means I lost 18+3-14=7ppm FC today. Something does not feel right. Perhaps the system is still adjusting as the SWG has been off for a while? The water is clouding up around the SWG cell so it is definitely working. No salt light on yet so could be ok. I will let it run 4 hours morning and night until I get it where I need to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.