New to pool

Nov 16, 2016
California
Although we have not been looking for a house with a pool, we still got one. We are living on the West Coast in the countryside with few goats, sheeps, and chickens. Since it is our first time having a pool we need all the help we can get. At the beginning, we hired a pool guy that unfortunately didn't work out. He just wanted to buy all new equipment, supposedly whoever did the installation, chose wrong equipment. At that point, after he charged us $ 750.00 for the initial cleaning using our chemicals, we decided that we had to learn how to take care of it ourselves. It is IG saltwater fiberglass pool, ca. 15 x 40 ft, ca. 21 400 gal., it has Jandy CL 340 filter, Stealth 1 HP pump, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorine Generator and Dolphin robotic cleaner. We would like to know what kind of test kit we need and what we need to test regularly. Thanks a lot for your help.

Go directly to Pool school and check out the TF-100 test kit. You will also need a test for your salt levels. Yep, they got that too! Also, an article there called the ABCs of Pool Chemistry is good reading until it comes in. Welcome!

That is very unlikely. I would find a different pool guy. Based on what you've said so far there isn't anything terribly wrong with the equipment. It is normal stuff. If the pump works then it is fine. The cartridges can be replaced in the filter if needed. I prefer Pleatco filters if they are available for your filter. They work a lot better and are cheaper.

Thank you very much for your advice. The T-100 is on its way. I just have one more question. Do you think that the pump and the filter need to be replaced? We were told if we don't, it will break the lines.

It sounds like your former pool guy was either under-educated or trying to pull one over on you, or both.

Without more details/pics/age of your pool, equipment and install its hard to determine their condition, but it's not likely to break your lines just by using it. The pressures that a pool operates at simply aren't high enough to do that. I'd say he was a guy looking for work.