50 Amp breaker tripping as of yesterday...won't stay on.

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
UGH!

Noticed the hot tub was off yesterday, turned on the breaker, and it worked fine.

Today, it was off again, turned it on, and it started the 2 hour filter cycle. Completed the cycle, and now it is off again, and every time I turn it on, it automatically trips.

I believe the hot tub was installed in 2002 by the previous homeowner, so I assume the breaker is that old.

Should I just try to replace the breaker first to see if this solves the problem? Do I need to replace the whole box?

Having a spa company help me by phone...

I disconnected the heater element, and now it stays on...

So, waiting to hear back on next step....whether the whole heating element needs to be replaced, or perhaps just the thermostat?

I assume this is original to the hot tub, so it's 15 years old.

On the suggestion of the spa repairman, I reconnected the heater to confirm that this was the issue. Strangely, the breaker is now remaining on...the hot tub is heating fine.

Guess we'll see.

Is it possible that a loose connection on one of those two heater wires could have caused the problem?

So, the heater worked for the last week, then last night I noticed the hot tub was off again.

I tried the breaker, and it immediately tripped. So, I just disconnected the heater again, and tried the breaker, and now even with the heater disconnected, it's still tripping the breaker immediately.

Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.