Pool cleaner died and new pool cleaner options

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
My dolphin primal X3 with 2 year warranty appears to have died. Conveniently about 4 months after warranty expiration. The powersupply popped and fizzled 2 days after expiration and they replaced that. Now the power supply seems to be fine but the robot in a lead weight in the pool. I'm guessing the motor is kaput and at 300 dollars for a new one, I'm not about to buy another motor for the thing as I was never really impressed with it. Coming from a blue diamond remote cleaner will do that to you.

I'm also not planning to spend a lot on a cleaner at this point. I was looking at the aquafirst turbo model, looks like a rebadge of the aquabot turbo T RC model but in speaking to people, it seems aquabot don't last that long, plus the one I'm looking at doesn't have a warranty I don't believe.

I also came across the dolphin Active 20 which I really like for ease of pulling the basket out the top and it looks like it has a large area to suck in the big leaves that fall from the trees near the pool something the current primal X3 can't do. So what would you guys suggest? I'm not planning on spending any more than 500 tops at this point as they all break in 2 years or so. I'm on my 4th or 5th I think already since 2004.

Does the Active 20 clean any better than the older dolphins? The primal X3 needed like 3 times to actually clean the pool where the blue diamond would have had it cleaned in one shot. It also keeps getting caught on the drains in this pool which it looks like the active 20 is higher in the center.

EDIT: assuming I buy a refurb with one year warranty, anyone know of any place that will add another year if I pay for it?

EDIT: Does anyone know if the prop is supposed to be easy to turn on these. Mine turns but it doesn't spin freely. There is a decent amount of resistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.