New Build in NE FL

While waiting on the other samples to arrive, we went ahead and put the first silver travertine sample next to our tile and stone to see how it would look. One side is more plain and the other has some veining. Not sure if there is an up or down side but we like the veining side. We looked at it wet and dry as I know being wet and also sealing changes the colors. We like this but I really want to see the samples from Stone Mart as they have a few variations of silver with more characteristics.

Dry with plain side
18034089_10211350850954206_4190908304629100596_n.jpg

Dry with the vein side
17990739_10211350851354216_3145805937942727216_n.jpg

Wet with plain side
18056928_10211350851954231_6164956168921581498_n.jpg

Wet with vein side
17990805_10211350851634223_7455098499995986148_n.jpg

Sun coming up this am looked nice on the Lightstream even though it is still dirty
18034167_10211350852274239_5599930953630050822_n.jpg

Just another pic of the 2 different stone brands/colors that were sent to us. I cannot understand how they could think these are the same? The top is more warm grey with tan under tones and the bottom is very cool and def has BLUE in it. We are keeping the bottom one hence the need for different decking (and the fact the other stuff is flesh pink lol)
18034255_10211350852514245_6288694988583451019_n.jpg

I am hoping the other samples will be here today. When ordering them, he said they would arrive yesterday but maybe they were delayed 1 day? Pics of those to come....

We are also doing silver travertine.

At best, the palette you will get will have grey, brown, and ivory tones.

At worst, the brown tones may shade to a pink. A condition that seems to afflict all travertine that comes from Turkey.

I should also mention that sometimes you will see a brown that turns into a yellow.

Check samples from the palette before you take possession.

Of course, variation is unavoidable. You just don't want to end up with too much of the tones you don't like.

I like the vein side, too. To me, that IS travertine. Although most of my deck has the veined pieces, I do have a number of them that look more plain like the back sample you show. Again, that's the beauty of travertine - a gorgeous mix of patterns and colors. As long as your main colors are gray and silver, I think you will appreciate (or grow to like) the variation. I have all colors in my deck, but the predominate color is tan or beige which is good for my area. Keep us posted!

Thanks all. We have a crate full of 32 pieces of 12x24 bull nose silver travertine for the spa coping from a local store. They are all very silver with minimal veining and not really brown, just light tans. But I do like more variation and color and also like a cheaper price ;) hence looking at buying direct from stores that have their own quarries.

Today another sample arrived from Travertine Mart that I didn't order. It is a much darker silver with more tans when wet but it feels polished and too slick. They didn't include anything with it to tell me what product it was so I am guessing but it feels and looks different than the first piece that is clearly tumbled. Here are pics just to compare.

Also, forgot on Monday they started placing the equipment and all on the pad. It isn't fully hooked up yet but looks good. I looked at the pad when it was poured and was worried it would be cramped but doesn't look like it. Also, I recall reading a few posts on here about people requesting 2" pipes etc and was happy to see our details on the permitting paperwork that 2" is standard for our work. Hoping these valves are the right kind everyone on here talks about. I remember us asking about that a few months ago and believe they are?

Emailed Stone Mart guy back to tell him package never arrived even though he said Thurs and we waited until Friday to see if it was delayed. So hopefully he can tell us where the package is....

New piece on left - dry - not too bad..
18034156_10211355728356138_5670639864240640431_n.jpg

Wet - more brown and darker
18033003_10211355728556143_6508058278344228761_n.jpg

Dry next to the Lightstream - not bad
18056890_10211355728796149_6682065984491989137_n.jpg

Equipment
17990842_10211355729076156_6190938962445825607_n.jpg

17990767_10211355729316162_6600144006350190127_n.jpg

18010125_10211355729556168_4553851041879176824_n.jpg

18011096_10211355730076181_7425150464100187725_n.jpg

18034219_10211355730596194_3737960699532530492_n.jpg

17903909_10211355730996204_8019614646623333884_n.jpg

Does anyone else who has travertine have veining that has little crystal looking pieces? Almost like a geode? They sparkle. The first piece we got has that in the dark veining and also a white area. This new piece doesn't and also the bottoms and sides are all cut (you can see the saw marks) and are very square while the first piece is a more natural edge all around and both sides. Looking on Travertine Mart's website, all of their silver looks darker, like the 2nd sample we received... Going to call them and find out what they shipped.

Also, hubby did a live chat with Travertine Warehouse. Turns out they are the national whole sale portion of Stone Mart. They have a HUGE show room that you can visit and also go out to the yard and see the actual product. We are trying to coordinate stopping in either before or after our cruise next weekend. Either go down a day early, head to Tampa, see the different stores and product, hit I4 over to Orlando, maybe go to Universal since we have season passes ( ;) :D ), stay the night, and then already be down there to disembark Sunday afternoon. Other option is to when we get back from the cruise and head to Tampa and then home. We will figure it out.

Sparkly areas.. They are catching the flash just a little
17953008_10211357925571067_179373280609656413_n.jpg

17991201_10211357925851074_1287996031499826549_n.jpg

Should be a fun weekend! See some nice travertine and then the next day Embark the Oasis of the Seas!!! Woooooooooo

- - - Updated - - -

Those are the good valves! I think I even see unions too ! Sweet!

Very interesting looking tile!! I really hope you find something you like at the stone yard! How neat it is kinda of on the way!

Kim:kim:

We have 3 actuators to replace the manual guts in the valves that will control the bubblers and sheer decent! If I have Automation I gotta be able to shutoff the water features or adjust them via remote!!!! Besides pool builder gave us our booster pump, and 3 actuators at his cost with no extra labor cost!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim, I am telling you - this is the best PB seriously. The 330k heater upgraded to 400k bc they wanted all Hayward - no extra cost. Upgraded automation to Prologic - no extra cost. My neurotic questions and materials like the Lightstream - no problem. Changing stuff - no problem. Add square footage to deck and screen - no biggie. Not happy with the pavers colors and wrong stone - its ok, we will fix it. Want the tile guys to help with the fire pit - sure just throw them some extra money on the side. Truly awesome company and owners.

I got lucky . Last minute I decided to shoot an email to them and ended being the ones we used. I hope at some point our positive feedback gives them more work because they are top notch

- - - Updated - - -

I feel like I should give him a gift after it's done because he's been so awesome to work with.

PB told us today he is going to the store he got our stone from tomorrow bc they insist that the stone is the exact same! They acknowledge they sent a different brand and color name but say it is the same color. What bull cow patty if ya know what I mean! So I sent him 2 pics of the different colors next to each other. I cannot see how they could argue they are the same? And ultimately, at the end of the day, we ordered a specific brand and color and they made a decision on their own to send stuff we didn't order. I know PB is trying to recoup money from the store's mess up bc now more product has to be ordered so all of the same color is used and since over half the spa is already covered in the wrong color stone (which woukd be a total loss if they removed it) we now are doing different pavers bc the wrong stone they sent and that was ultimately installed doesn't go with the current pavers as mentioned above. But if they still argue and refuse to acknowledge the color difference, I will personally go up to the store and also make sure to post on every online venue that I can about them knowingly sending incorrect product to their customers.

These are the pics I sent him to show to the store
18077302_10211372933626259_8937997722406182852_o.jpg

18121070_10211372933786263_3213962070167291738_o.jpg

You have to be color blind not to see the difference (and while some men really are, there is a woman at that store)

In other news, the current bull nose coping that we have (ordered from above mentioned store) has more tans than I realized esp when wet. When dry, it looks lighter obviously and the tan is faint. When wet, it brings out more tans and almost looks ivory. That first piece from Travertine Mart is so white and grey compared to all of the other travertine so far. I know the coping piece is larger than the sample but even a sample size of the coping is still tan.

Is it ok to mix different colors of silver travertine? The coping on spa, wall, columns, and fire pit will be the large stuff in this pic but our coping on the pool and decking will be different. Wondering if that will look funny?

18156262_10211372939426404_2092458471737258247_o.jpg

Same piece dry
17862653_10211299369547203_2141275204307488342_n.jpg

PB told us today he is going to the store he got our stone from tomorrow bc they insist that the stone is the exact same! They acknowledge they sent a different brand and color name but say it is the same color. What bull cow patty if ya know what I mean! So I sent him 2 pics of the different colors next to each other. I cannot see how they could argue they are the same? And ultimately, at the end of the day, we ordered a specific brand and color and they made a decision on their own to send stuff we didn't order. I know PB is trying to recoup money from the store's mess up bc now more product has to be ordered so all of the same color is used and since over half the spa is already covered in the wrong color stone (which woukd be a total loss if they removed it) we now are doing different pavers bc the wrong stone they sent and that was ultimately installed doesn't go with the current pavers as mentioned above. But if they still argue and refuse to acknowledge the color difference, I will personally go up to the store and also make sure to post on every online venue that I can about them knowingly sending incorrect product to their customers.

It might be the same ledger stone, just from different pallets. It can vary widely.

The name of the stone doesn't matter much here because I suspect it was all sourced from the same place. The vendors are the ones who complicate things by changing the names.

In this case, I suspect the stone all came from MSI Stone because Blue Sierra is their trade name for this ledger stone.

Here's some additional evidence for what I think is happening. Look up Blue Sierra on MSI Stone's website. It looks a lot like your second sample. Home Depot also sells a ledger stone called Blue Sierra. Look it up on the website. It looks a lot like your first sample (Oceana). Home Depot gets this stone from MSI.

No, the MSI Genuine Stone Blue Sierra is not what we ordered or even saw anywhere at the store (the store is a pool contractor whole sale business that sells directly to the pool contractors only but customers are able to go into the store to see the products).

We saw a 4 foot by 6 foot wall of Stone Hardscapes Oceana. The woman helping, who is the main design person there, even pulled out Stone Hardscapes catalog so we could see every single color they offer as they did not have samples of everything. #1 - they do not sell a product called Blue Sierra and #2 - the only one we liked out of all of the samples and examples in the catalog was Oceana.

We went to that store 3 separate times to iron things out and make sure everything went well. I got a copy of her order sheet for our project.

When 2 pallets and 1 crate were delivered to our property, we immediately inspected the products. The way the items were packaged, we could only access the top box of stone and tile. We opened the stome box, examined it, checked the brand and name, which was correct - Stone Hardscapes Oceana. We also checked the ceramic tile. It was correct. I could see through the slats of the crate and the joint edges of the travertine coping that it was bull nose and silver. The other pallet of material was tightly wrapped in shrink wrap type plastic with 6 layers of product and the stone was on the bottom. We could not get to the products or even read the labels with how they were stacked and we did not want to completely dismantle the wrap due to storms that were forecasted in a few days with damaging wind and hail. Being that it was all ordered from the same place, at the same time, we had a copy of the order sheet, and we opened the stone that we could, we figured all of the boxes would be the same as the one we could access.

When I got home from a Dr appt, I saw the front face of the spa, into the pool, had ledger stone placed. It was dusk and hard to see clearly. It didn't look exactly right but again, it was dusk and yes, stone has variances, but we saw the box that was sent with the others so I would just look at it the next day.

However the next day ended up being late for me due to my back injury that was being more painful than normal so when I checked the stone in the sunlight, they had already covered just over half of the spa. When I looked at it, it was beautiful, but it was not looking like the stone we picked that had multiple shades and tones of browns.

Then I see a box on the sun shelf that has the brand "Genuine Stone" on it. That's when I see it is marked at Blue Sierra and there is no Oceana as even a color. So I have the guys stop working to check the boxes since they had now completely unpacked the crate and pallet.

We have 3 boxes of Stone Hardscapes ledger stone in Oceana. They are corner pieces. This is what we ordered. Even in this box, it varies some from what we saw in the store HOWEVER the general appearance with the warm undertones and browns were still there, which is why we picked it.

The rest of the boxes, which includes the other corner pieces and the flat pieces that are going on the spa and back of our wall, are Genuine Stone by MSI, which is not what we ordered.

I am not hung up on the name of the color. That's like saying just because Behr has a paint color called Shamrock and Sherwin Williams has a paint color also named Shamrock, that they would be the same color. No one is going to think that. They are different brands that happened to pick the same name for a color.

You can see in the photos that they are different. Ok they both have grey and white. So they are the same? That's like saying well this clear liquid in glass A looks like the clear liquid in glass B so they are the same. One is water and one is vodka. So I'm going give you glass A even though you ordered vodka bc they look the same So that should be good enough. I don't think you would be please (if you like vodka lol but if you ordered it, you wanted it).

I have done extensive research and what that has shown is that Stone Hardscapes is not affiliated with MSI in anyway. Stone Hardscapes lists their partners and distributers on their website. MSI lists all distribution centers on theirs and they are not the same.

Even the spec sheets are different. Oceana has color listed as white, grey, blue, cream. Blue Sierra has color listed as grey/blue, grey.

Ultimately at the end of the day we ordered specific brands and colors of items. If they truly were so close that it didnt change the entire appearance and look to the pool area, I would let it slide. I'm one of those people who orders a Dr Pepper and the waiter will cringe and say they only have Mr Pibb and I smile and say, that's ok bc they are close enough. I am not just splitting hairs bc I want a specific brand. Especially bc we love how the Blue Sierra looks and we are keeping it! We are having more ordered to replace the 3 Oceana boxes that we have and more pieces for our fire pit.

But I do not appreciate a company deliberately changing a product that was order bc they think the color is close enough. If you wanted me to buy the Blue Sierra then you should have had it in your show room. But they have ZERO MSI ledger stone in their show room. NONE. I was actually let down at the limited selection and colors that they had in their show room as another stone/paver place a few mins down the road had like 40 different colors, multiple brands, multiple types of stone, etc and just a bigger variety.

And semantics aside, look at the pictures. They are NOT the same. And I can lay out every single piece from all the boxes and none of the Blue Sierra look like Oceana. It isn't a variance thing where this one piece of Oceana and this other piece of Sierra Blue have this big difference in color. Every single piece is like that. We opened up and compared over 7 boxes.

Horner (the store) told my PB, yes, we sent two different brands that are called different colors, but still say they are the same. They aren't. Coke and Pepsi are a soda but they aren't the same. Ford and Chevy both have trucks but they are not the same. Medications have generics that have a similar chemical make up but they are not the same. Unless you got permission from the customer, who paid for what they ordered, you do not change it. Period.

There is NO way they SHOULD say (they can say whatever they want :roll:) those are the same color. You PB needs to stop by the house and get two samples of the colors AND the boxes they came in to take with him.

If you/they mix and match the color variety so it is all spread out all over the patio and such then it should all be good. Remember most people will see it dry to start with. It will not be until after they have jumped in and out of the pool that they will see it wet. By then they will not notice anything except how nice everything is LOL

Man, oh man they better hope this listen to your PB. It would not be pretty if you have to go down there. You go girl! Get what you want and paid for!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

They really don't want me back down there. I have shared the photos on an HGTV FB group and now have over 85 strangers in 5 hours agreeing it isnt the same and shame on the store. I also shared in another group of horse back riders and over 60 people there agree. Both groups have national and international members and the HGTV group has MANY from this area where I live. I will share the news far and wide if they don't admit the colors are different, recoup the PB, and send me stone that is from thr same brand and color. Also, someone suggested to let their manufacturers know that a distributor of theirs is purposefully selling a different brand when a customer orders their brand. Esp since 3/4 of our order was not the color or brand we ordered. Hmm...

No, the MSI Genuine Stone Blue Sierra is not what we ordered or even saw anywhere at the store (the store is a pool contractor whole sale business that sells directly to the pool contractors only but customers are able to go into the store to see the products).

We saw a 4 foot by 6 foot wall of Stone Hardscapes Oceana. The woman helping, who is the main design person there, even pulled out Stone Hardscapes catalog so we could see every single color they offer as they did not have samples of everything. #1 - they do not sell a product called Blue Sierra and #2 - the only one we liked out of all of the samples and examples in the catalog was Oceana.

[...]

The rest of the boxes, which includes the other corner pieces and the flat pieces that are going on the spa and back of our wall, are Genuine Stone by MSI, which is not what we ordered.

[...]

I have done extensive research and what that has shown is that Stone Hardscapes is not affiliated with MSI in anyway. Stone Hardscapes lists their partners and distributers on their website. MSI lists all distribution centers on theirs and they are not the same.

[...]

Horner (the store) told my PB, yes, we sent two different brands that are called different colors, but still say they are the same. They aren't. Coke and Pepsi are a soda but they aren't the same. Ford and Chevy both have trucks but they are not the same. Medications have generics that have a similar chemical make up but they are not the same. Unless you got permission from the customer, who paid for what they ordered, you do not change it. Period.

Yes, I suspected as much. You ordered Oceana, thinking it was an original product. But I also suspect there never was an original Oceana product, just like there is no original Thermador side-by-side refrigerator. Coke and Pepsi might not be the same. But I dare say Thermador and Ktichenaid side-by-sides are the same and so are Oceana and Blue Sierra. Understanding the supply chain can avoid a lot of issues later.

If some part of your order came from MSI, as you noted, the rest of your order probably did too. Small retailers don't have buyers/designers who are sourcing this stuff and shipping it themselves in commercially viable quantities from China.

On that note, MSI does not list their retailers on their website. They list only their own distribution centers, meaning the warehouses/showrooms that they own. Note how Home Depot does not appear on their list of Distribution Centers, yet Home Depot clearly sells ledger stone from MSI. It says as much in the product description on the Home Depot website. Also, I am not surprised that Stone Hardscapes would not mention MSI. Oceana is not a proprietary product to them. Why would a small retailer want you to know you could get the stone elsewhere?

Some pool builders figure these things out and pass the info on to their clients because as far as the pool builder is concerned it is about getting the best product at the best price. MSI, for instance, sells its products directly at a higher price to contractors than it does to retailers. (It also sells directly to consumers.)

Stone Hardscapes should have checked the pallet for consistency. You should ask that they take back the boxes that don't match and give you more of the "blue sierra" that you like for free. Hopefully, they see the fairness in that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.