Swimming Pools in Colorado are iffy..

G

This has not been a good season so far to be a pool owner in Colorado. The nights are always cool, and now we are having an unusually cool June to boot. It has not gotten out of the 70's for two weeks. I have swam a total of 10 minutes so far. Just haven't felt like running the heater when it's so cool, cloudy and threatening to rain all the time.

I can't tell what's the norm for Colorado anymore. The last 7 years have probably been abnormally warm. Is this year more of the norm? It's hard to tell. One thing is for sure, we usually get 300 sunny days a year. I doubt that's the case this year!

Cool and rainy in new england too. Upside is the weekends have actually been tolerable.

Weather guy said tonnight he thought the pattern might break soon and het into a summer pattern. I hope so

Try Northern MN where we are still having spotty frost. Several nights have been no higher than 39-41 - our days have yet to reach higher than 76 but averaging around 59 with little sun so far- sad to say but I guess not forever. We'll enjoy what we can get. Maybe next week!

We used to live in Colorado Springs. Out of around 400 homes in our subdivision, I only knew of one that had a pool. The people moved in from out of state and immediately had an inground pool installed. Not one time over the next 3 years did I ever see anyone IN the pool. :shock:

Colorado does get a lot of sunny days, but a lot of them are NOT swimming weather. The drought over the last several years got people accustomed to the hot, dry summers. Before the drought cycle began, home air conditioners were an oddity in Colorado Springs. Most summer days, just as the afternoon high temps would arrive, a short thunderstorm would move off the mountains and cool things down quite nicely. Everything stayed green all summer long. That was the Colorado weather that I really enjoyed. 8)

I agree with you Harry on the drought changing a lot of perceptions in Colorado. Even I broke down and had AC installed in my previous home. I also prefer the normal CO weather with cool nights, and afternoon thunderstorms.
Things seem to be back to normal.

I just wish I could use the pool. ;(

HarryH3 said:
We used to live in Colorado Springs. Out of around 400 homes in our subdivision, I only knew of one that had a pool. The people moved in from out of state and immediately had an inground pool installed. Not one time over the next 3 years did I ever see anyone IN the pool. :shock:

Colorado does get a lot of sunny days, but a lot of them are NOT swimming weather. The drought over the last several years got people accustomed to the hot, dry summers. Before the drought cycle began, home air conditioners were an oddity in Colorado Springs. Most summer days, just as the afternoon high temps would arrive, a short thunderstorm would move off the mountains and cool things down quite nicely. Everything stayed green all summer long. That was the Colorado weather that I really enjoyed. 8)

I've had the heater on in advance for the weekend here in Littleton, Co. I was surprised at the cheap cost it was to get it to 86 degrees but we'll lose about 5 degrees a day and that's with an auto cover. Maybe the warm weather is right round the corner. I think that even though we get thunderstorms every evening for 30 minutes, if the pool is warm, you will get your use out of it.
My parents had a pool in London UK. No sun ever over there and I'd be in it rain or cloud. Again it was heated and not too expensive to keep at a nice warmth.

Nice blue skies this morning so maybe we're in for some decent stuff...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with Danny that it seems relatively cheap to get the pool heat up to 86 degrees and keep it there.
I am wondering if it is actually costing more to run the pump 4-8 hours a day than it is to heat it?

NY has been miserable so far. I think it has rained about 16 out of the last 19 days. Its a record for June.

Hopefully it will start clearing up soon all around.

I went in my pool twice... Both times having to heat it from about 65 to 85. The rain keeps it freezing. The next morning it was back down to the lower 70s. I can only imagine what my gas bill will be from this. :grrrr:

It's been mid 90's for the last 2 weeks here in Central AL. Great swimming weather. I've been putting in about 600 sf of flagstone under my deck and adjacent to the pool. It's nice to put in a few wheelbarrow loads of stone then take a dip to cool off.

I'm looking for some cooler weather myself. The pool has been 91-93 every day for the past several weeks. I'm having to run the fountain all the time in hopes of getting some of the heat out.
You know though, even at 91 my 8 year old tells me the pool is chilly to her. What?? I would rather have it about 85 so I actually cool off when I get in to beat the heat.

I know it's not great for swimming but I would love to spend more time in Colorado with temps like yours. It's more my kind of weather.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.