Soon-to-Be Fiberglass Pool Raleigh, NC

ny2nc

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hello All! I am looking forward to learning from all of you as time goes on! We have put down a deposit on a Fiberglass pool by Tallman (Key West 16x37, 3ft 6in-6ft depth). We very excitedly announced the news to our kids (6 and 3) on Christmas and everyone is so excited we can't stand it! Digging starts on March 13th! The package the pool company sold us has many basics laid out and included in the price, but there are so many upgrade options that my head is spinning, and as a newbie who has never owned a pool before my husband and I are pretty clueless. I have done research and read quite a bit online, but firsthand accounts, especially from owners of similar pools would be most helpful!

I'll list the basics included below, but would love to know if there is anything you would highly suggest upgrading/changing/adding on so we can do more research and/or plan for greater expenses. This is based on a chlorinated pool vs. Salt...obviously we'd love information on that as well. We've seriously considered upgrading to Salt, but need firsthand opinions. Any and all information/suggestions, etc are most welcome! :)

Key West Fiberglass by Tallman (16x37ft) Freeform shape with built in bucket seats, 16,000 gallons, 3ft6in flat shallow end to 6ft deep)
2 18inch Waterfall Bars (coming out of stack stone wall)
1 Skimmer
3 Returns
2 Main Drains
1 Pentair Sand Dollar Sand Filter
1 Pentair Superflow High
Performance Pump
1 Automatic Chlorinator
1 Stainless Steel Handrail
1 Stainless 3 Step Ladder
1 Maintenance Kit (hand vacuum, net, pole, brush, starter chemicals, testing kit)
Equipment Pad
Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing Kit
4 Colored LED Lights
1 Wireless Remote
1 Timer
Basic Electrical Hookup
$1500 Concrete Allowance (We've already added significantly to that) 18 inch coping around pool, 4 ft ring of concrete with extended pad for big seating area at back

Thanks so much if you have actually read this far! :D I'm sure you get posts like this from newbies all the time!

HI!!!! What a fun time this is for you and your family! I have an idea to help the kids understand the time line for the pool. I will touch on that at the end.

-equipment-get model numbers and share them so we can make sure they are big enough

-equipment pad-poured concrete? How big?

-valves-no mention of them-how many and what kind?

-stainless steel stuff-make sure it is higher end for long term-find out details and share them here.

-timer-what kind?

-test kit-what kind?

Okay for the the kids (my favorite part!). Make a calendar where all of the months can be seen. Have the dig date written on the date it is supposed to happen. Allow the kids to mark through each day so they can help and see the count down. It is a very visual way for ones this young to help them see what is happening and when. Each time you have a "major event" date write it down on the Pool Calendar so the kids can help count down to it. For the final swim date..........add a couple few weeks for events like weather or no shows just to be on the safe side!

Now..........have you checked out your builder? Have you seen and talked to other pools owner he has done work for? With a fiberglass pool the hole is THE most important part of this build. It can make or break the pool.

I would love to see a pic of the yard the pool is going in.

Kim:kim:

Welcome to TFP!!!!!

I had a Tallman Carribean installed this year (April/May) and was VERY happy with them.

My suggestions.

1) If you can afford either a 2-speed Pentair or a variable speed, you will be happy. I replaced my provided 1HP Pentair SuperFlo with a 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed and I am very happy. I run my pump 24/7 during the peak season - to keep clean and to run fountains at night to cool water. The variable speed is saving me about $100/month in electric over the 1HP single speed.

2) Our has 2 built in loungers and a table which has an umbrella mount. We have an 11' sunbrella umbrella there and it is great having the shade to sit and relax with a drink or read, watch kids, ... I see yours has seating areas. I suggest you add an umbrella mount near one or all of these if possible. Or you could purchase movable umbrella(s). It is nice having the shade. My wife and I spend many of nights sitting out and reading with a drink and listening to some music.

3) The automatic chlorinator - is this a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG)? If so, this could be an issue. I loved them, but my supplied SWG was rated for 20,000 gallons for my 19,000 gallon pool. This could not keep up and I was forced to add chlorine as well. Your pool is 16,000 gallons, but even that would scare me with a 20,000 gallon rating. The issue was made worse because my pool gets direct full sun for about 10 hours/day in peak summer. They do have a 40,000 gallon model, which they gave me when I pulled my other unit. But I never installed this, and instead bought a much better unit (Autopilot) with a cell which is rated for 52,000 gallons. I would recommend getting a SWG rated for at least 2x your pool size. So either I would require them to give you the 40,000 gallon rated unit with your install, or you go buy a better unit yourself and have them install. I love my new SWG. It has a lot of great features. I would be happy to share details if you wish.

4) Concrete - Sounds like you've been thinking this trough. Leave plenty of room for seating, lounge chairs, and room for people to walk around those things to get around the pool. We added quite a bit of concrete, and are happy we did.

5) The maintenance kit is okay, but you may want something better if maintaining yourself - which I definitely suggest. I use the net and the brush from the kit. I do not use the vacuum hose and attachment. I instead purchased a Polaris 9550 Sport robotic standalone cleaner. I use the brush to wipe off the ledges, steps and loungers, and then run the robot. It runs for under 2 hours and does a great job.

We like the color LEDs. Our grandkids really like them.

You made a wise choice. You and the kids will love the pool. You will be very happy with Tallman.

Gary

If the plumbing layout can be adjusted or changed, I would add two skimmers instead of one. Very rarely does the prevailing wind always blow in one direction and you almost always need two skimmers, at opposite ends, to get debris captured. When you get specific plumbing details, like a real engineering plan, please post it as there are many details in the plumbing layout that can make pool ownership much easier, e.g., skimmers and MD's not tied to together but with separate runs to the equipment pad, use of serviceable Jandy valves instead of cheap shutoff ball valves, etc, etc . I would also add four returns instead of three for better circulation adjustment and I would ditch the sand filter and go with the largest sized cartridge filter you can afford. Too often PB's pair undersized filters with over-powered pumps and cause a lot of plumbing problems. I'm always a fan of having water features (waterfalls, scuppers, sheers, etc) on their own separate plumbing loops but that does add to cost as it requires a separate pump. If you can't or don't want to do that, then you should follow the previous advice and get a very large variable speed pump so that you can dial in the exact flow rates you need for specific purposes - slow skimming, filtration, water effects, etc. Very rarely can a single-speed pump drive a complex hydraulic layout efficiently - you either get too much power when you don't need it and too little power when you want it.

I don't see a heater on this pool? Are you considering heating? I know it may seem like you live in a hot climate and you'd never use it but even down here in the southern Sonoran Desert, every pool has some kind of heat source. If you want to extend your swim season (open in April and close in November), then you're going to need a good bubble cover to retain heat AND a heater (either solar, gas or electric). Otherwise, your pool will be too cold in the beginning of the season and cool off too rapidly at the end of the season.

Please stay on top of your PB and make sure you get detailed plans (both structural and plumbing) from them so that you can post here and get more detailed advice.

Good luck on your pool build and congratulations.

Hi there! Nice to see someone else in the Raleigh area as well! We did go with Cool Pools. It looks like from your signature you went with a vinyl in ground pool. May I ask who you went with? We met with several pool builders before choosing Cool Pools. :)

I'm excited for you that your project starts next week...it feels like March is an eternity away for us! LOL

Hi Gary, Thank you for all the advice! It is great to hear from someone with a very similar pool from the same manufacturer!

May I ask what color you chose for your pool? We are leaning toward the Caribbean Blue, but have a bit more time to change my mind if I want!

The PB gave us a list of popular upgrades and their pricing. They did kindly inform us that for some options we can buy cheaper online or wait to add later.

The Salt Generator Upgrades listed are IC20 or IC40

We have added a significant amount of concrete! We have two kids and a grassy yard, so we want to try and cut down on traffic through the grass and then into the pool. We plan to maintain the pool ourselves with the exception or maybe closing the pool for winter or things like that until we are more seasoned owners. The maintenance kits they sell are the Polaris 360 Automatic Pool Cleaner or Dolphin Supreme M4 w/caddy. It looks like there are many opinions on the cleaning systems...so I would love insight from someone with a similar pool!

The pool company said they will drill for umbrellas anywhere we would like and also suggested to have at least one near a seating area.

The LEDs listed are Fiberstars 6 color change LED light with wireless remote.

Thanks so much for your suggestions, feel free to keep them coming! :D

Caitlin
Welcome to TFP!!!!!

I had a Tallman Carribean installed this year (April/May) and was VERY happy with them.

My suggestions.

1) If you can afford either a 2-speed Pentair or a variable speed, you will be happy. I replaced my provided 1HP Pentair SuperFlo with a 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo Variable Speed and I am very happy. I run my pump 24/7 during the peak season - to keep clean and to run fountains at night to cool water. The variable speed is saving me about $100/month in electric over the 1HP single speed.

2) Our has 2 built in loungers and a table which has an umbrella mount. We have an 11' sunbrella umbrella there and it is great having the shade to sit and relax with a drink or read, watch kids, ... I see yours has seating areas. I suggest you add an umbrella mount near one or all of these if possible. Or you could purchase movable umbrella(s). It is nice having the shade. My wife and I spend many of nights sitting out and reading with a drink and listening to some music.

3) The automatic chlorinator - is this a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG)? If so, this could be an issue. I loved them, but my supplied SWG was rated for 20,000 gallons for my 19,000 gallon pool. This could not keep up and I was forced to add chlorine as well. Your pool is 16,000 gallons, but even that would scare me with a 20,000 gallon rating. The issue was made worse because my pool gets direct full sun for about 10 hours/day in peak summer. They do have a 40,000 gallon model, which they gave me when I pulled my other unit. But I never installed this, and instead bought a much better unit (Autopilot) with a cell which is rated for 52,000 gallons. I would recommend getting a SWG rated for at least 2x your pool size. So either I would require them to give you the 40,000 gallon rated unit with your install, or you go buy a better unit yourself and have them install. I love my new SWG. It has a lot of great features. I would be happy to share details if you wish.

4) Concrete - Sounds like you've been thinking this trough. Leave plenty of room for seating, lounge chairs, and room for people to walk around those things to get around the pool. We added quite a bit of concrete, and are happy we did.

5) The maintenance kit is okay, but you may want something better if maintaining yourself - which I definitely suggest. I use the net and the brush from the kit. I do not use the vacuum hose and attachment. I instead purchased a Polaris 9550 Sport robotic standalone cleaner. I use the brush to wipe off the ledges, steps and loungers, and then run the robot. It runs for under 2 hours and does a great job.

We like the color LEDs. Our grandkids really like them.

You made a wise choice. You and the kids will love the pool. You will be very happy with Tallman.

Gary

Hi Kim!

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions fort he kiddos! I'll try to get specifics on the equipment when the company is open (they are closed through the new year). I gave some details that I had when I replied back to Gary on this thread. :D

Let me see if I can figure out how to upload pics of my yard to this thread. Can I just upload a couple to my profile? We live in a cul-de-sac so we have one of those awkward shaped lots, but it is close to half an acre...so lots of room! ;)

Caitlin

HI!!!! What a fun time this is for you and your family! I have an idea to help the kids understand the time line for the pool. I will touch on that at the end.

-equipment-get model numbers and share them so we can make sure they are big enough

-equipment pad-poured concrete? How big?

-valves-no mention of them-how many and what kind?

-stainless steel stuff-make sure it is higher end for long term-find out details and share them here.

-timer-what kind?

-test kit-what kind?

Okay for the the kids (my favorite part!). Make a calendar where all of the months can be seen. Have the dig date written on the date it is supposed to happen. Allow the kids to mark through each day so they can help and see the count down. It is a very visual way for ones this young to help them see what is happening and when. Each time you have a "major event" date write it down on the Pool Calendar so the kids can help count down to it. For the final swim date..........add a couple few weeks for events like weather or no shows just to be on the safe side!

Now..........have you checked out your builder? Have you seen and talked to other pools owner he has done work for? With a fiberglass pool the hole is THE most important part of this build. It can make or break the pool.

I would love to see a pic of the yard the pool is going in.

Attachments

• 20161228_153316.jpg
    20161228_153316.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 509
  • 20161228_153323.jpg
    20161228_153323.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 520
I'll figure out this forum thing one day... :confused:

I'm trying to post two more photos to hopefully give you an idea, but it keeps exceeding the limit. Hmmmmm...

Hi Kim!

Thank you for the warm welcome and suggestions fort he kiddos! I'll try to get specifics on the equipment when the company is open (they are closed through the new year). I gave some details that I had when I replied back to Gary on this thread. :D

Let me see if I can figure out how to upload pics of my yard to this thread. Can I just upload a couple to my profile? We live in a cul-de-sac so we have one of those awkward shaped lots, but it is close to half an acre...so lots of room! ;)

Caitlin

I'll figure out this forum thing one day... :confused:

I'm trying to post two more photos to hopefully give you an idea, but it keeps exceeding the limit. Hmmmmm...

Unless you are a paid forum supporter, storage space on the TFP servers is severely limited. You can either become a TFP Supporter (see the button at the top of the page) OR you can use a free photo hosting service, like PhotoBucket, and just copy and paste the IMG links into a post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! :kim: I have a shutterfly account so let's see if I can do it right this time! If I manage to get it right, the photos pan from left to right in my yard while standing on the deck. :D

1 Photo | Shutterfly

1 Photo | Shutterfly

1 Photo | Shutterfly

1 Photo | Shutterfly

Unless you are a paid forum supporter, storage space on the TFP servers is severely limited. You can either become a TFP Supporter (see the button at the top of the page) OR you can use a free photo hosting service, like PhotoBucket, and just copy and paste the IMG links into a post.

Hi Caitlin,

We went with the Caribbean Blue and like it very much. Its blue enough that it looks great, but not so blue it looks fake. With the crystal clear water it looks great.

Okay, your builder is going with Hayward, which is a good brand. I would still suggest the larger unit (IC40) if you go with Hayward. The IC20 would be pushing it with 16,000 gallons.

I really like my Polaris 9550 Sport robot, as it can be programmed for either rectangular or free-form. It will clean lower steps. It, like other robots, can not clean above the water line, so the top step, and other shallow areas are an issue. It does not clean my built-in loungers well, so probably the same for your built in seats, but not sure any could do that well. I find it easy enough to brush those areas quickly when needed and then run the robot. It comes with the caddy and an a remote so you can direct its cleaning - you can get a lesser model without the remote as well. But you can read on the robots or post a thread asking for inputs as many have robots and tell you about their experiences.

I know the pic by my profile, but that is my pool in the Caribbean blue.

Enjoy the build and pool,
Gary

Yes, it's fun to see people in the same area! We ended up going with Choice Pools out of Wake Forest. I really liked Cool Pools and the sales lady was phenomenal but we decided not to do a Fiberglass pool (my husband wanted something deeper and the cost was pretty significant). Yes, I'm excited for next week but March will be here before you know it. We had a fun time trying to get permit approval from Wake County. Ours took a while because we are on septic. I'm glad that's over! Keep us informed on your progress!

Yes, space is something we have plenty of! Still room for the little playground and hopefully a fire pit seating area behind the pool. :grin:

That lot looks purrfect for a pool because you will still have plenty of room for the kids to run and play!

What fun for all!

- - - Updated - - -

We didn't meet with Choice Pools...maybe we should have! LOL We really liked Cool Pools and when they went above and beyond to help us find a fencing solution that would placate the town ordinance and us...we knew we found the right folks for our project! I agree the sales person is phenomenal! The cost of a deeper pool with the increased freight charges for fiberglass is quite significant, so I understand the choice of vinyl. As for permits and such, I am sitting on pins and needles over that. We are within town limits (no HOA though), so we have to pass ordinance and pool code...I'm a little worried we will have problems there, but fingers are crossed!!! I'd love to see pictures as your project progresses! :D

Yes, it's fun to see people in the same area! We ended up going with Choice Pools out of Wake Forest. I really liked Cool Pools and the sales lady was phenomenal but we decided not to do a Fiberglass pool (my husband wanted something deeper and the cost was pretty significant). Yes, I'm excited for next week but March will be here before you know it. We had a fun time trying to get permit approval from Wake County. Ours took a while because we are on septic. I'm glad that's over! Keep us informed on your progress!

You got it! Same for you! I got a dig final dig date which is Wednesday and I want to vomit. I'm so nervous about this whole process!!!

Yes, space is something we have plenty of! Still room for the little playground and hopefully a fire pit seating area behind the pool. :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

We didn't meet with Choice Pools...maybe we should have! LOL We really liked Cool Pools and when they went above and beyond to help us find a fencing solution that would placate the town ordinance and us...we knew we found the right folks for our project! I agree the sales person is phenomenal! The cost of a deeper pool with the increased freight charges for fiberglass is quite significant, so I understand the choice of vinyl. As for permits and such, I am sitting on pins and needles over that. We are within town limits (no HOA though), so we have to pass ordinance and pool code...I'm a little worried we will have problems there, but fingers are crossed!!! I'd love to see pictures as your project progresses! :D

The largest available SWCG in your brand is always the most cost effective long term solution.

Just in case you want to see how my fiberglass pool was installed check out the link in my siggy line-

Good call on planning ahead for extra deck space. You NEVER hear anyone regret having lots, but you do read now and then regrets for too little.

Go with a SWG...best thing since sliced bread! Are they going to use crushed rocks for backfill? That's preferable to sand.

Keep us posted :)

Yippee :flower:

T-17 Days to Start Date in Raleigh, NC

Y'all! I am not even from the south originally...but Y'ALL I AM SO EXCITED that I don't even know what to do with myself!:kim: I keep longingly looking out my window imagining the pool to come (picture scene from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation). :cool:

Now, seriously though...all permits have been pulled by the pool builder, utilities are marked, stone picked out, and here we sit with nothing to do! Am I supposed to be doing something that I don't know about or is this the calm before the proverbial storm? :confused:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.