Soon-to-Be Fiberglass Pool Raleigh, NC

I haven't ordered it yet. If I am being completely honest I am a wee bit intimidated by the whole thing! I do have a question for you though. I have seen several references to being close to the warehouse or forum owner, etc. Is all of this in NC? I am in Apex, NC just outside of Raleigh. Would be kinda neat if they were that close!

Waiting for them to get here now...should be any minute! Eeeek! :kim:

I think they are right next door to you! How neat is that??

I SO understand you being intimidated! I ordered the test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool to make sure I could do it!!

Please go ahead and order it when you have a chance today. We have videos and I can walk you through the tests! They will take a few extra mins the first few times but once you have done them a couple of times you will get up the speed.

Are the kids up yet??? I bet they are watching the windows and listening for the sound of the trucks!!!

Kim:kim:

Aaaaaaaaaand, just got a call. It is actually so cold here this morning that the gravel they needed is frozen inside the truck! They have to delay until closer to lunch time when it gets above freezing. My girls are climbing the walls looking out the windows. I'm going to have to break the news to them here shortly. Sadly they teach 6 year olds to tell time so I can't "fake it" like I could with my 3 year old! ;)

No worries though, I know it will all be worth it in the end! :)

I think they are right next door to you! How neat is that??

I SO understand you being intimidated! I ordered the test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool to make sure I could do it!!

Please go ahead and order it when you have a chance today. We have videos and I can walk you through the tests! They will take a few extra mins the first few times but once you have done them a couple of times you will get up the speed.

Are the kids up yet??? I bet they are watching the windows and listening for the sound of the trucks!!!

I haven't ordered it yet. If I am being completely honest I am a wee bit intimidated by the whole thing! I do have a question for you though. I have seen several references to being close to the warehouse or forum owner, etc. Is all of this in NC? I am in Apex, NC just outside of Raleigh. Would be kinda neat if they were that close!

Waiting for them to get here now...should be any minute! Eeeek! :kim:

Very exciting! Take lots of pics! I wish I could have been home when they were installing the pool.

Yes, the warehouse is in Creedmoor which is not far from either of us (I'm in Willow Spring, NC but only about 15 minutes from Apex - if that). You could probably drive there in 45 - 55 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I thought! :confused:

Frozen gravel???? Wow I have heard it all now :shock:

- - - Updated - - -

I am taking lots of pics and a video! My husband got a video of the excavation on Monday - I think I put the link in one of my previous comments here. You are very close by in Willow Spring! Nice to see locals on here, too! I wish I had found this forum a lot sooner than I did!

Very exciting! Take lots of pics! I wish I could have been home when they were installing the pool.

Yes, the warehouse is in Creedmoor which is not far from either of us (I'm in Willow Spring, NC but only about 15 minutes from Apex - if that). You could probably drive there in 45 - 55 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am taking lots of pics and a video! My husband got a video of the excavation on Monday - I think I put the link in one of my previous comments here. You are very close by in Willow Spring! Nice to see locals on here, too! I wish I had found this forum a lot sooner than I did!

I saw the video which was really cool! Another thing I wish we had done, lol! It is nice to see locals on here! I don't know why but it makes me feel good knowing someone is right down the road if I really need some major help with the pool (hopefully it never comes to that). I am like you though, I am a little intimidated about the whole pool care and testing process. I bought my test kit back in November and I've only used it to test our tap water. It seems easy but I'm still nervous. I wish they would get our pool running so I can play around before it gets warm! In the meantime, this wind is nuts! :eek:

I pulled out the test kit to check the water a couple weeks ago since it had gotten so warm here. Good to practice! Not intimidating once you test a couple times. And I can see frozen gravel. With the rain the other day, it may have been wet in the truck and then froze with this ridiculously cold weather. These temps are better suited to January than March!

Hi everyone! I have so much to update and share, but I need some advice first! When we signed our contract we had a sketch of our plan and also the specifics (sq. feet of concrete, equipment specifics, etc). We discussed what we wanted concrete wise and showed them in a sketch what we wanted. They did the calculations for what square footage we needed and added to the contract. In hindsight we should have tried to calculate this ourselves and questioned the numbers. Our pool is a freeform 16x37 and we asked for 3-4 ft around most of the perimeter (plus 18 in coping) and a semi-circle at the back about 12 ft out from the edge of the pool for a couple of chaise lounges, etc. They only quoted us 400 sq ft. I didn't catch this. The concrete sub-contractor came out last week. Nicest guy ever! Well, we wanted to bump out the semi circle about 2 more feet and a part of the deck from 4ft to 5ft. So we knew the cost would go up. The amount of concrete to do our sketch was ACTUALLY 1200 sq ft. :( Talk about sticker shock! This was a significant increase, to the tune of over $5K more. That was with the concrete guy helping to mitigate costs by very kindly doing some tweaking. In addition we need a retaining wall that wasn't originally in the plan AND we need to lengthen one that was in the plan to accommodate the current grade of the yard. This was another increase that we didn't anticipate.

Now, I am not unreasonable. I don't expect something for nothing...but would you push the pool company to take some ownership for this concrete square footage estimation? I don't blame them for the retaining walls...you can only anticipate so much ahead of time. But, I feel a little mislead on the concrete. $1K or even $2K I could have swallowed...but over $5K...I nearly fainted! And I am not a cheapskate! Would you ask the pool company for some kind of financial relief or ownership? They have been extremely accommodating and helpful over the last several months. I really enjoy our working relationship up to this point and believe they are good people and this was an honest oversight/mistake...but man this bill stings! Any advice or suggestions???

I tend to go a little on the easy side regarding pushing back on questionable areas with contractors so my response will lean that way. If the contract (quote) calls for 400 SF and if the sketch is not part of the contract, then there's not a whole lot of gray area. The only way I'd see getting there would be to discuss that sketch and saying this is what we expected and discussed. Your S.F. number did not reflect that. Should you have calculated it right, yes. Should I have recalculated your numbers, yes. Let's split the difference. I get what the current/revised plan shows and we split the cost - I'll pay $2,500.

What is written in the contract (proposal) will hold over what is shown on a sketch. Unless the contract says it will be built according to the sketch and it is dimensioned appropriately. What they did was unprofessional and potentially dishonest, but you bought 400 sf.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for your feedback. It is a little bit of a "rock and a hard place" situation. I'm going to have to do some more soul searching on how I want to handle things. In the meantime, I'll work on getting some pool photos into this thread! :cool:

What is written in the contract (proposal) will hold over what is shown on a sketch. Unless the contract says it will be built according to the sketch and it is dimensioned appropriately. What they did was unprofessional and potentially dishonest, but you bought 400 sf.

Did they use Chasen? Super nice people and they were very willing to work with us last year. Sorry to hear about the discrepancy in the sq ftg of concrete. I agree, if not specified in the contract you are probably put of luck, but your PB and the concrete company they usually use are pretty good people. Hopefully there is a way to take the sting out of the cost a little bit. I know we dropped over 12k on concrete for ours last year.

Ponygirl, yes we are using Chasen! They are great! He was very willing to work with us as well....our concrete is up in your ballpark of $12k as well. I have no complaints about working with them...they have been fantastic so far!

Did they use Chasen? Super nice people and they were very willing to work with us last year. Sorry to hear about the discrepancy in the sq ftg of concrete. I agree, if not specified in the contract you are probably put of luck, but your PB and the concrete company they usually use are pretty good people. Hopefully there is a way to take the sting out of the cost a little bit. I know we dropped over 12k on concrete for ours last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny you mentioned a plate of brownies...that is exactly what my girls handed out to all the workers after the pool went in the ground! Guess I might have to whip up another batch for the folks in the office....try and soften up this rock and a hard place situation! :)

It never hurts to ask especially with a smile and plate of brownies! Rock and hard place for sure :hug:

I had way too much difficulty deciding which pictures to share so I am just going to link the album from shutterfly here: http://pix.sfly.com/zRHJrpo3 :kim:

Our pool was lifted over the house on Wednesday and it was SO cool to watch! On Thursday they finished back filling and they filled the pool with water from two tanker trucks! They installed the equipment. The electrician came out to do their part and we also had them install a whole house surge protector that comes with an insurance payout, etc if it fails (well worth the $ if you ask me)! Friday they came by to do some grading. The concrete contractor came out Friday afternoon and again on Sunday (Bless that man's heart). This morning they came by and talked to us about our rock wall and retaining walls. They took some measurements and it sounds like they will have those done by the end of the week. On Friday the concrete guy is going to form everything and I think he will pour Monday or Tuesday! After that it is inspections, fencing adjustments, rock speakers, and landscaping! Man this is going fast! :cool:

LOVE every one of them! WOW! Was your heart in your throat while it was being lifted over the house???? SCARY but oh so fun! LOL at the dog and kid watching the goings ons!

Brownies will help I am sure! They work on me!

I had way too much difficulty deciding which pictures to share so I am just going to link the album from shutterfly here: http://pix.sfly.com/zRHJrpo3 :kim:

Our pool was lifted over the house on Wednesday and it was SO cool to watch! On Thursday they finished back filling and they filled the pool with water from two tanker trucks! They installed the equipment. The electrician came out to do their part and we also had them install a whole house surge protector that comes with an insurance payout, etc if it fails (well worth the $ if you ask me)! Friday they came by to do some grading. The concrete contractor came out Friday afternoon and again on Sunday (Bless that man's heart). This morning they came by and talked to us about our rock wall and retaining walls. They took some measurements and it sounds like they will have those done by the end of the week. On Friday the concrete guy is going to form everything and I think he will pour Monday or Tuesday! After that it is inspections, fencing adjustments, rock speakers, and landscaping! Man this is going fast! :cool:

Looking good, I feel your pain on the cement. I added to my allowable cement but dealt directly with the sub so knew exactly what I'd be paying. I was quoted $1,500 for the water trucks and passed, used city water ended up costing me maybe $125 to fill it up over a couple a days. I'm guessing you're passing on the heater after getting that cement surprise, did you end up with a better quote for the gas hookup? Did you pass on SWG as I didn't notice it in your pics. Well it should be done just in time as the warm weather should be hitting the Carolinas anytime now. Looking forward to more updates and pics.

Salty

Hey Salty!

Thank you! The water to set the pool was included in the pricing of our pool so we didn't have to make that decision (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! Wonder how much I paid for it...:confused: Unfortunately, my much desired heater is on hold until the Fall or next year. For two reasons - #1 the cost of the cement increased so much and #2 after getting four more quotes for the gas line the cheapest one was $1,500. We're going to have to hang tight on that one for now! We did pass on the SWG, at least for this year. We haven't owned a pool before so we decided starting with the basics may be a good plan. :confused: I'm wondering when it will actually warm up enough to use the pool. My girls are driving me bonkers asking already! :D

Looking good, I feel your pain on the cement. I added to my allowable cement but dealt directly with the sub so knew exactly what I'd be paying. I was quoted $1,500 for the water trucks and passed, used city water ended up costing me maybe $125 to fill it up over a couple a days. I'm guessing you're passing on the heater after getting that cement surprise, did you end up with a better quote for the gas hookup? Did you pass on SWG as I didn't notice it in your pics. Well it should be done just in time as the warm weather should be hitting the Carolinas anytime now. Looking forward to more updates and pics.

Salty

Let them jump in! They will swear up and down "It's not cold!" while their little lips are blue! They really don't care AND it will NOT hurt anything. They will sleep REAL good that night as an added bonus!

Hey Salty!

Thank you! The water to set the pool was included in the pricing of our pool so we didn't have to make that decision (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing! Wonder how much I paid for it...:confused: Unfortunately, my much desired heater is on hold until the Fall or next year. For two reasons - #1 the cost of the cement increased so much and #2 after getting four more quotes for the gas line the cheapest one was $1,500. We're going to have to hang tight on that one for now! We did pass on the SWG, at least for this year. We haven't owned a pool before so we decided starting with the basics may be a good plan. :confused: I'm wondering when it will actually warm up enough to use the pool. My girls are driving me bonkers asking already! :D

I think the weather is on the upswing:cool: it's 86 today and next week looks pretty steady in the high 70s. Your girls will be in the pool sooner than later I'd be guessing. As for the money part it'll all be worth it in the end or at least that's what I keep telling myself. BTW, you can now update your signature and remove the soon to be owner part, it's all yours!

Salty

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.