Help choosing a pool system

jcrew

Jun 11, 2009
My wife and I are looking into installing a new inground pool at our house. This will be our very first pool to ever have, we are hung between a salt water system and a ozone system. I have read everything on both, cant find much on the ozone, but I have read a bunch about the salt water system. I am a little worried about the thing I have read about the salt water system. I would like you all's input, please.

jcrew said:
...installing a new inground pool...our first pool...we are hung between a salt water system and a ozone system....can't find much on the ozone, but I have read a bunch about the salt water system...a little worried about the thing I have read about the salt water system. I would like you all's input, please.
What have you read about the salt system that you are worried about?
We've been using one for years, as have many others, and to put it simply, it works. It allows the chlorine level to remain stable (we have lots of trees=lots of organic matter, and lots of teen-age parties :party: ) and is simple to maintain.

An ozone is system is a purely supplementary system and can't sanitize a pool on its own. You still require chlorine in the water with an ozone system. That chlorine may come from a saltwater generator or another chlorination system. The ozone system actually can increase the chlorine usage.

if you read pool school and subscribe to the BBB method of caring for your pool (which I highly highly highly recommend) you will find an swg will be a great addition, but not so much on the ozone. I was like you, looking for anything to keep a nice pool, but I couldn't really grasp why the ozone system or mineral system or whatever else was a good way to do things. then I found this site and learned how to use chlorine (and a few other chemicals, but mainly chlorine as far as daily basis) to keep the water sparkling clear. for a tad more on ozone, see the information here:
newsletter.php?view_newsletter=10

We've never been tempted to consider ozonator or salt water generator for our pool cause basic pool care takes care of everything HOWEVER we can say without question than the ozonator in our spa makes a HUGE difference in ease of maintaining the water that stays at such a hot temperature.

Ozone, in fact, does sanitize water - just like chlorine - what it can't do is add stabilizer which is why we have to add a SMALL amount of chlorine to our spa water but it's the ozonator that does the heavy lifting keeping the water clean and clear and sanitized.

Pool sized ozone systems are EXPENSIVE - SWG's are great I'm sure but we have been perfectly satisfied with our old fashioned in-line chlorinator all our pool owning years and have never seen the need to take that step.

imjay said:
Ozone, in fact, does sanitize water - just like chlorine - what it can't do is add stabilizer which is why we have to add a SMALL amount of chlorine to our spa water but it's the ozonator that does the heavy lifting keeping the water clean and clear and sanitized.
Wrong, they are not the same. Ozone is not a residual sanitizer while chorine is and to have sanitized water you need one of the three EPA approved sanitizers in the water.
Not all forms of chlorine add stabilizer and, in fact, it is usually better to add the stabilzier separately so the pool does not become overstabilized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.