Intex 1500gph pump

Rhesha

Jun 28, 2007
SE Louisiana
yesterday morning I noticed that my pump was not functioning. the only reason I noticed is because it is normally quite loud. I voiced my concerns to my husband, but of course, when he got home from work, it was running. I was adding some chemicals to it last night and noticed that the skimmer wasn't skimming like it usually does. now, again this morning, the pump wasn't working again.

what I have is an 18ft intex easy set ag soft blue pool. I believe it has a 1500 gph pump. I think it holds about 5500 gal.

has anyone had a similar experience? I have only had the pool for a couple of months. I have been running the pump continuously. Is there any kind of warranty?

If the pump works sometimes and not others then it might be overheating. There is a thermal overload protector that will turn the pump off if it gets too hot, when it cools down it will come on again. If your pump gets direct sunlight that could be the problem. It is a good idea to shade the pump.

If the pump is working correctly and the pipes aren't clogged it won't overheat unless it is in direct sunlight (and even then many pumps will keep going). If it is going off at night it is either an electrical problem or it is overheating for some unusual reason. You should check that you are getting a good water flow out of the return when the pump is running. A clog anywhere in the skimmer or pipes could cause overheating. You should also check the pump skimmer basket and all of the other part of the plumbing you can get easy access to.

The other obvious possibility is an intermittent failure in the wiring. Check that any plugs are clean and fully plugged in, switches are fully turned on, etc.

The pump could be overheating because it is broken, or there could be problems with the wiring that aren't easy to figure out without an electrician. Try to rule out all of the simple possibilities before you call for service.

The 1500 GPH model 635 has a debris screen at the suction of the pump, make sure it is clean if it is installed. This was originally supposed to be used if the skimmer attachment was not used. Last year there was a notice on their web site about it. Apparently a lot of complaints about it getting clogged.
If the pool is new they may have discontinued it, I currently don't see it on there parts list so it might be. My pump would trip if air locked but never saw it trip from a dirty debris screen, but with a dirty screen the water flow would be close to none.
Look into the suction of the pump with the hose off to see if you can see the impeller of the pump to tell whether you have a screen. The suction section should have a hex sided section allowing you to use channel locks on it to unscrew and clean or replace screen. Since it has a rubber o-ring I only went back hand tight with mine so I wouldn’t need pliers every time to clean it.
If you have trouble getting the screen out just pop open the return line valve for a second get the water from the pool to push it out.

as I have spent some time in the pool this am.. i ahve noticed that the pump is running app. 20 minutes, turning off 20 minutes and urning on again... i disconnected both hoses and the skimmer and checked for any obstructions. There are none visible. The suction is working very well, not even enough to make the skimmer function correctly... any ideas, tips etc??? I don't want to have to take the whole thing down just to return the pump.. also, i added me stabilizer int he sock and it is all dissolved, is it going to be okay with the pump not working correctly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try running without a filter to see if its plugged and without the skimmer connected also.

And are you bleeding the air off the top of the filter each time after you change filter or remove hoses before starting the pump?

Looks like a classic no water flow overheat the pump trip out then resume pumping after cooling.

This would be last resort.
Only other suggestion if filter is a non-issue is to check pump impeller if its turning. Disconnect hoses, drain water out of pump and look into pump suction and turn pump switch on for a fraction of a second then back off to see if its turning.

With your pump off, remove the lid, and let it fill up with water and then screw the top back on, turn the pump on and open the air screw at the top to see if it will start pumping.

It could be air locked somewhat...

I've had mine not want to prime after I change the filter, and I've filled it up as full as I can with a garden hose and then screw the top back on immediatly. Then bleed the air off and it works great.

Just a few other suggestions.

With both valves close on pool, open suction valve first, then open the small knob on top of filter and let the air out until you get water. Once that is done open the discharge valve on the pump then turn on pump. Once pump is primed you shouldn't have to do it again unless you service your pump.
Your skimmer could suck air if you loose air pressure in the float part of the pool cause the skimmer to rotate upward to the surface. This is move likely to happen if you use a timer on your pump.
Put your hand in front of the return to check the flow so you have an idea how fast it is suppose out of the discharge once you have your problem solved. Never do that to the suction!

HTH

Cycling off and on is generally indicative of overheating, and opening the thermal protection device in the motor. It starts again when it cools, only to heat back up and shut down again, etc.
It could be mechanical, like a bearing problem, or something binding in the impeller.
Electrically, it could be low voltage - like maybe there's a bad connection somewhere in the circuit.

overheat and line voltage

see this a lot, make sure you aren't using a light duty extention cord to run the pump, or have it connected to an already overloaded circuit. The only way to truely tell is to put a volt meter to it. If this isn't possible, (if no one there, or you know can check it) I would find a way to take it back before it doesnt' work anymore.
Best bet, find the larger of the pumps, they are readily available on ebay (the 2500, and 3500gph). The 3500 will work very well, I used to use one, but I upgraded my set up, so I don't use it but for fountain features.
Definately look into an upgrade, they are inexpensive.
If not, those pumps are easily dissassembled. Just a few screws (obviously, make sure you are unplugged !!) and the impeller drops right out. I found on my original pool (ez set 16') that hair got wrapped around the magnet, causing friction. Clean, and reassemble.

Any questions, let me know, or pm me.

DJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.