24' AG hole in liner with winter cover on

May 29, 2014
New Jersey
Guys,
My pool pretty much leaked all its water out and the pool cover (new cover) is on. Haven't pumped any water off so I'm sure it's a leak.

It has some water on the cover and I noticed it's starting to tug on the walls.

Should I just take the cover off at this point?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think your options are limited, but would depend on where the leak was located. How long did it take to drain and how did you figure out the pool was empty? If all the water is gone, then the leak is on or near the bottom floor of the liner. if the water level only dropped to a certain point, then the leak is at that level. If not frozen and you were brave enough, you could go in there and look for the leak. At the water level is a good place to start if it is not draining further. If it's a small hole, it won't be easy though.

I think your are stuck between some hard choices. Ultimately you don't want your walls to collapse. Without the water in the pool, there is a good risk of the walls caving in or wind blowing it off it's foundation. Neither is good. You also don't want a heavy, water/ice laden cover tugging on unsupported walls.

Are you going to try to save the liner or will you just replace it in the spring?
If you are going to try to save it and depending on the severity of the leak, it may be worth it to fill it 2/3 back up and cover it again. Check it often and fill as needed. Just be careful the bottom sand doesn't get washed out or you will be pulling the liner to fix that too.
On the other hand, if you don't care about the liner, then leave it uncovered so you can easily see the water level and prevent a heavy cover from tugging on low filled walls. Rain / snow / debris will just fall down into the pool. Add water as necessary to keep the walls supported.

I wouldn't leave it empty due to the risk of wall (not liner) damage from storms.

I am stuck with hard choices. As you said, I don't want the walls to collapse. I was thinking to just undo the cover and toss it in the pool, since it has ice on it currently.

Maybe fill it up to halfway or so just to protect the walls.

Do a new liner in the spring because I'm not sure where the hole is and if I can even patch it or if its even advisable.

Thanks for your response.

How low is the water level? If it's around half full I would probably just cut the cover loose, leave it in the pool and plan to replace the liner in the spring. It will likely be fine, half full should offer plenty of support. If its nearly empty I would add some water in stages and allow it to freeze until its at least got enough water in it to adequately support the walls. Once frozen the water will stay until it warms up in the spring. Once the water thaws and leaks out you will need to get to work on it.

Depends a lot on your wind exposure. My pool sits behind a solid 6' fence and I live in a low valley and get hardly any wind. My pool would probably be fine with almost no water in it. My brother in law lives out in the wide open countryside, on top of a hill and on a large flat section of land. He can't even keep a cover on no matter what he tries, it either blows off or shreds. His pool might get damage even at half full.

I'd get that cover off if your walls are buckling. You can fix everything else come spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.